TRACTION 280 and TRACTION in BRM

steverabone

• RMweb Premium

TRA280cover.jpg.f5f9c3e7d351b65c1120e81389afcc94.jpg

Traction  280 March/April 2024  is now out in digital format on Pocketmags and on the newstands from 22nd January.

AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FOR READERS OF TRACTION.

From the next issue we will become a section of our sister magazine BRITISH RAILWAY MODELLING. The number of pages devoted to the prototype railway will be similar but instead of TRACTION being bi-monthly TRACTION IN BRM will appear every four weeks. This increase in the number of issues is something many readers have asked for so we are please to be able to do this.

Existing subscribers will have their subscription transferred automatically.

In TRACTION 280 we start with an account of two photographic expeditions to the Coalville line in 1986 when the line was still busy with coal traffic.

Bridgwater, in Somerset, was, by comparison, a minor freight centre but still had the ‘Bridgwater Tripper’.

We conclude the fascinating story of a railwayman’s experience when based at Bristol Bath Road depot.

We look at BR’s once extensive operation of special passenger trains over Bank Holiday weekends showing specials to the Lancashire coast in the Preston and Wigan areas.

Many enthusiasts have discovered that Tamworth is an excellent location to watch and photograph freight traffic as its location where the Birmingham to Derby line crosses the West Coast Main Line makes it a good vantage point and we have a major feature about this station.

We also take a glimpse at the ‘Other Blue Pullman’ that utilised repainted Mark 2 coaches and Class 47s.

In TRACTION MODELLING our featured layout is Aldergrove an N Gauge terminus.

Don't forget BRITISH RAILWAY MODELLING (with TRACTION in BRM) will be on sale on February 22nd 2024. See you there!

Stephen Rabone

• Like 4

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, ianwales said:

Does being part of BRM mean that the Traction Modelling section will disappear?

The same content that you would get within Traction Modelling will be included within the combined mag.

• RMweb Premium

As a reader of both magazines, I’m open minded about this, but just a bit concerned that the ‘Traction’ element could fizzle out over time as only some of BRM readers will be interested in it.

• Agree 3

The OP says it will be on the newstands from 22nd January, if this helps.  

I assume the modelling content will in effect be absorbed into BRM, as this is where it is sourced from anyway. As a long-time subscriber to Traction but a different modelling mag I'm going to see how this goes - I may be won over but my main interest is in the 1960s/70s and Traction's coverage of late has generally moved on to the 1980s onwards (as clearly illustrated by this front cover), but there is usually something of interest. If the combined magazine appeals and the subscription rate stacks up (and one sub should be cheaper than two) then yes - one reading source may prove convenient. Awaited with interest.......

As a longtime subscriber to BRM my concern is the comment above by the OP that “the number of pages devoted to the prototype railway will be similar”. Does this mean that the modelling content of BRM magazine will be reduced or will the number of pages be increased? There are many magazines relating to the prototype railway already, some of which I purchase so don’t need another. Certainly D & E locos are not my scene anyway.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

To answer the above questions:

1) Traction issue 280 should be available in printed format from next week in most WH Smiths branches (and other newsagents who normally stock it) as usual.

2) I anticipate the content of Traction in BRM being similar to what it has been over the last few years - mainly 1960s through to the early years of privatisation - all content will be British.

3) The normal number of pages in Traction devoted to the prototype railway after the model section and advertising has been deducted is about 30 pages. This is the number of ADDITIONAL pages that will be added to BRM. There will be no reduction in the number of pages or content of BRM's modelling content.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I occasionally buy both titles , but to me they are quite different. Either / Or purchases , rate;y combined.  Obviously one caters to railway modelling . I will probably buy the next edition because of the Hornby interview , but at the time I may only have a passing interest in the D&E scene . If there is not enough advertising/interest to sustain Traction as a seperate magazine I think adding it to BRM may just prove a drag on that magazine . The combined magazine sound like a compromise that will suit no one 

Edited by Legend

It will be interesting to see how this pans out in the long term. BRM is a quality publication and is more of a bookazine than a magazine, and will be even more so when it absorbs the TRACTION content, which will now become monthly. However, although interested in model railways, I'm not a railway modeller and I suspect there are quite a few others like myself that read TRACTION.

I'm also anticipating a price rise at some point to reflect the extra pages required to accommodate the TRACTION content, which may well force some of the TRACTION readership to choose whether or not to ching-out more for a combined publication containing around 30-pages of TRACTION material while the core content will be aimed at modellers; the February 2024 issue of BRM runs to some 148 pages (including covers and ads).

I'm sure some of the readership from both camps will welcome the merger, whilst others may not be so keen. Time will tell.

Cheers.

David J. Hayes. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Brian Indge said:

Does this mean that the modelling content of BRM magazine will be reduced or will the number of pages be increased?

We have increased the number of pages; there'll be the same number of pages for layouts, practicals, reviews, news etc. The only material reduction is the layout, model news and review content that was also used in Traction duplicating that in BRM.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

As a subscriber to Traction I'm reasonably comfortable with the 'interesting' development with BRM Magazine and that my subscription will be transferred now to the monthly BRM (effectively doubling it, I suppose ?) but does it also include Gold Membership of RM Web (I currently have Silver membership) or was that just a previous offer to new subscribers of BRM in a particular deal, please ?

Kind regards,

Ian.

Will I get a refund on my subscription as I currently subscribe to BRM & Traction?? Or will my BRM subscription be extended by my remaining Traction subscription??

Regards

Neal.

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Calnefoxile said:

Will I get a refund on my subscription as I currently subscribe to BRM & Traction?? Or will my BRM subscription be extended by my remaining Traction subscription??

Regards

Neal.

I have asked for clarification Neal and will come back to you.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
On 24/01/2024 at 13:25, ThaneofFife said:

Think the quarterly payment for traction is £12 but now gping to monthly at 4.99 with brm.

Granted traction wasnt every month.

Will the sub increased be automatic?

BRM is usually £5.49. If there is going to be more content with the Traction element added, how is that going to be sustainable? The Traction journalists have to be paid. The production costs will surely be higher. Was the extra £4.50 for the March issue purely down to the DVD, which doesn't run on my computer? I assume that it was as the Traction pages were described as '32 pages of bonus content.....' Please don't spoil an excellent modelling magazine by putting in a large wadge of prototype material, which may not relate to modelling projects, and risk it becoming unviable unless the cover price rises.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

As a long-time Traction reader (I have all 280 issues to date) I am saddened by the impending demise of the magazine in its current, stand-alone form, albeit somewhat reassured to hear that the essential 'Traction' content will still be available, just in a different form. Nothing stays the same for ever: all things change, which doesn't have to be a negative thing. I admit, I do share the reservations of others regarding the prospect of merging a publication aimed specifically  at diesel and electric enthusiasts with a railway modelling title which seeks to reach a much wider demographic, but I remain open-minded and will await the first such issue with interest.

Finally, I would like to offer a huge, heartfelt 'thank you' to all who have brought us 'Traction' over the last 280 issues for the enormous reading pleasure I have derived from its pages - hence why I have kept them all. I've never missed an issue, even when abroad for long periods (my wife dutifully bought them and stacked them up for me pending my return!)  Throughout its existence I have always looked forward to the next issue and devoured every edition avidly from cover to cover, which is more than I would say for most other titles.

All the best and good luck with the transformation.

Paul 

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I'm RMweb gold but subscribe to Traction (printed version) I already have access to digital BRM so do I just cancel my Traction sub?

Chris

As long as you don't mind reading Traction online as with BRM then that does make sense.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Grampus said:

As a long-time Traction reader (I have all 280 issues to date) I am saddened by the impending demise of the magazine in its current, stand-alone form, albeit somewhat reassured to hear that the essential 'Traction' content will still be available, just in a different form. Nothing stays the same for ever: all things change, which doesn't have to be a negative thing. I admit, I do share the reservations of others regarding the prospect of merging a publication aimed specifically  at diesel and electric enthusiasts with a railway modelling title which seeks to reach a much wider demographic, but I remain open-minded and will await the first such issue with interest.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you see the next issue of Traction in BRM. It will have much the same appearance and the same type of content.

If you look at many German and French magazines both prototype and model sections have co-existed in the same magazine quite happily for many years. Three examples being Eisenbahn Kurier, Modelleisenbahner and Eisenbahn Magazin.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Steve,

thank you - interesting to note the precedent elsewhere. I am looking forward to whatever comes next.

All the best, 

Paul 

• RMweb Gold

It's always been controversial to merge modelling and prototype content in the same magazine in the UK for some reason, but as @steverabone says, it's common on the European content, and there are relatively few "pure" model railway magazines (only two "all-scale" such magazines in Germany (a bigger market than the UK), AFAIK.

I'm glad that Warners have kept the "spirit" of Traction intact, unlike (what is now Bauer) did with the then Rail Enthusiast by chasing advertising revenue at the cost of changing the magazine into something different altogether. I hope it's a success — as a reader of both magazines I have no complaints!

I assume the back issues of Traction will remain available on WOR+?

Edited by D9020 Nimbus
  • Like 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I assume the back issues of Traction will remain available on WOR+?

They will; even if someone signs up to WoR+ in the future.

• Like 1