LMS / BR 55 Ton Armour Plate wagon in 4mm

• RMweb Premium

The shackles are now in place, they are a bit fiddly to install but they look the part once they are in place and they work so you can flip the ones you need to tie down the load into the 'up' position leaving the rest down.

_MG_9278b.jpg.5a1e2dfd9a07c3e2d28cdc9c422955ac.jpg

_MG_9282b.jpg.f5a3baa35c671b2e1a25506ffceb5816.jpg

I have also fitted the bogie mounting parts, buffer beam overlay, coupling hook and the brake handwheels. There were two different styles of handwheels judging by the photographic evidence and they seem to have been interchanged at random, probably after one got broken or damaged in use. If you want to fit a functional hook rather than have a coupling in the NEM pocket the slot is big enough to take the Smiths ones. These wagons had Instanter couplings so I have put a couple of the Instanter links on the fret just in case.

_MG_9426b.jpg.c7c41c88928b62e6ebce889a9a220e44.jpg

Next job is to assemble the bogies themselves.

Ian

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Very enticing Ian. Assuming these ran to the south coast naval ports and shipyards they would have crossed GWR metals (if not rule 1 applies). Could you reserve one for me please?

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, macgeordie said:

The shackles are now in place, they are a bit fiddly to install but they look the part once they are in place and they work so you can flip the ones you need to tie down the load into the 'up' position leaving the rest down.

_MG_9278b.jpg.5a1e2dfd9a07c3e2d28cdc9c422955ac.jpg

_MG_9282b.jpg.f5a3baa35c671b2e1a25506ffceb5816.jpg

I have also fitted the bogie mounting parts, buffer beam overlay, coupling hook and the brake handwheels. There were two different styles of handwheels judging by the photographic evidence and they seem to have been interchanged at random, probably after one got broken or damaged in use. If you want to fit a functional hook rather than have a coupling in the NEM pocket the slot is big enough to take the Smiths ones. These wagons had Instanter couplings so I have put a couple of the Instanter links on the fret just in case.

_MG_9426b.jpg.c7c41c88928b62e6ebce889a9a220e44.jpg

Next job is to assemble the bogies themselves.

Ian

Them there handwheels should be slightly dished.

Just sayin!!

Mike.

13 hours ago, Jub45565 said:

Interesting - is any more known about when they entered the concrete pool? Was this all in later life, or may it have been at build/by the late 50s?

Certainly later in life. In the diagram book on 2/800 http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/SpecialVehiclesIssue.pdf  They are not in the earlier copy of the diagram book on their website. 

Paul

• RMweb Premium
On 21/01/2024 at 23:00, Jub45565 said:

Interesting - is any more known about when they entered the concrete pool? Was this all in later life, or may it have been at build/by the late 50s?

A friend of mine, Steve Carter has done some research into the wagons and he has produced a spreadsheet with information on the Beam carriers which is attached.

ARM Wagons compressed.xlsx

He has also given me some explanatory text which is:-

According to Dave Larkin the concrete beam sets were formed circa 1968 .

On the spreadsheet you'll see that I've colour coded the various concrete beam wagons as they were formed into sets according to their loading height from rail level, their load weight and the type of bolsters they were fitted with (high / low). So Type A (Yellows) comprised of a single set of two vehicles, Type B (Pink) was two sets formed from four vehicles whilst Types C (Blue) and D (Green) numbered as four sets each from eight vehicles. I think that the vehicles from each set could only work with others from within that set which makes sense if the bolsters were different. I've also added the types of vehicles used as spacers (not runners!) and I think that each consist could be made longer / shorter by using more / less of both Arm wagons and spacers according to the shape of each beam.

I'm not sure as to the type designations for the bolsters themselves but there's a few useful pictures in "British Railways Wagons - Their Loads and Loading" by Brian Grant & Bill Taylor from which it seems they were more like fabricated steel plinths, one per wagon on the centre line between the two bogies. There's also a few good images on Paul Bartlett's site showing them, especially on ARM EL 2/001 wagons (these too were made into concrete beam sets).

I hope members find this helpful. I haven't produced a kit for the bolsters as they are outside of my normal timescale but if there is sufficient interest I'll take a look at producing a kit for a typical bolster as well.

Ian

Edited by macgeordie
Excel file modified so it will print on one sheet in landscape
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

A number of members have already asked for one of these kits as can be seen above and that is much appreciated. If anybody else wants to go onto the list please message me rather than make the request in the thread as it is a lot easier for me to keep track of who wants what that way.

Ian

Edited by macgeordie
typo corrected

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know what 'armour plate' looked like with which this wagon would be loaded?  I assume 3" plate sheets (so 1mm. thick in OO), perhaps two side by side loaded along the wagon-length (with a few more on top with laths between for un-loading)?  Thanks.

Edited by C126
Clarification.

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, C126 said:

Does anyone know what 'armour plate' looked like with which this wagon would be loaded?  I assume 3" plate sheets (so 1mm. thick in OO), perhaps two side by side loaded along the wagon-length (with a few more on top with laths between for un-loading)?  Thanks.

3 inch armour plate is actually quite thin

Belt armour on the King George V class battleships was 15 inches 

I suspect these were intended to carry the thicker types of armour plate from the thirties 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, C126 said:

The following website has some useful insight into armour plate used on ships:

https://kbismarck.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1643

ARM ET and EL wagons could also find a use in transporting heavy castings as well as plate - there's a nice shot in Don Rowland's "Twilight of the Goods" showing a diagram 2/001 ARM EL B907113 at Carlisle in 1960 with just such a heavy block load.

Incidentally when carrying plate on flat topped or armour plate wagons it was stipulated that loads were to be chained along their length as well as crosswise.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

The bogie frame is a one piece 'fold up' item. There are two rivets (bolt heads) to press out at the base of the axleguards but some of these wagons had a tie bar fitted in later life so if you want to model that version don't bother pressing out the rivets or you will just have to file them off again to get the tie bar to fit neatly.

_MG_9429b.jpg.2f0a20d53e7f8bb18181957ff5212124.jpg

There are two variants of the beam across the ends of the bogie, one has an NEM box built into it and the other is plain, If you want to fit a working coupling just fit the plain version at both ends.

_MG_9437b.jpg.1d9b32943930d853c39f529900201cd1.jpg

The next job is fitting some 0.9mm wire across the bogie above each axlebox, this will represent the spring mounting point later in the build. The wires can be left in place if you wish which significantly stiffens the bogie but it makes it more difficult to fit the wheels later.  The pin point bearings are also now in place and the bogie pivot points are folded up. These allow one bogie to rock in a linear direction and the other axially giving some compensation to the wagon.

_MG_9455b.jpg.4e01a01291e080284510a7f64205936b.jpg

A number of members have now asked for one of the kits so if anybody else wants one please message me.

Ian

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 22/01/2024 at 13:49, C126 said:

There are some photos of plate made into bow sections in this publication https://archive.org/details/thosfirthsonslim00firtrich though they might be too large for the wagon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, micklner said:

Photo 86 looks like a similar Midland wagon ??.

I can remember working in the battery room, next to the switchboard at what was then Firth Brown Steel. An old framed map of the huge Tho. Firth (partly dual gauge) railway system had been abandoned there. It was to disappear only to turn-up on the wall of a manager's office at Gripple. Both Gripple and Firth Brown backed out onto this railway system which ran parallel to the route of the Sheffield and Rotherham Railway. The S&RR had a south-bound connection north to the North Midland Railway in Rotherham. Both were taken over by the Midland, which might explain the presence of a Midland wagon. Sheffield Wicker station was to become a goods only station when the Bradway tunnel and the 'new road' opened in 1870. When I worked on BR in the 1970s the Sheffield-to-Rotherham route to London, used if the 'new road' was ever closed for engineering works was still called the 'old road' by railwaymen. (An alternate route in times of closure of the 'new road' is via the curve at Nunnery Junction, picking-up the old GCR main line).

Edited by MartinRS
Tunnel name - thanks Enterprisingwestern

This photo shows one on Manchester docks with a load that isn't armour plate or concrete beams. Date around 1961:

British Exports 1

I'd definitely be interested if a 7mm scale version was to evolve from this project.

Mol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1