Location, Location, Location ???

I know other people have posted requests to identify their photos - but no obvious threads are making themselves known when I search for obvious terms such as 'location', 'mystery or 'where' ........ so here goes with some ancient monochrome pix that have me stumped ! .....

r10_02.jpg.a3b5cb65035fe127cf820b25cbc3edf4.jpg

1967 : previous photo was the new Severn Road Bridge - so this is PROBABLY somewhere between there and London.

READING GENERAL

r11_06.jpg.bedf524fbad8a0a6e0aa06ec59a645ad.jpg

1967 : probably somewhere between Dent & Ais Gill. AIS GILL southbound

r17_15.jpg.6c4a31c0edf10ecf00600ad4a7b41ea1.jpg

28th July 1968 : End of Steam Special. CRAGG LANE BRIDGE

r17_16.jpg.b1eb1776ee825244c0f5e79ea2bd8bc4.jpg

28th July 1968 : another End of Steam Special - somewhere different. CLAPHAM MOOR BRIDGE

b02_29.jpg.a3f6dce4e82782503b71b53208538fae.jpg

15/5/71 : between Feltham and Reading Possibly Feltham

b21_20.jpg.e51b315c91ea6251d07fa07f28a0e8f8.jpg

b21_21.jpg.f6c3a37d952c93ee050fed0953412196.jpg17/6/73 : Two photos in sequence - previous shot was at Woking and subsequent ones at ( recently closed ) Alresford - so PROBABLY on the way to Alton. WIMBLEDON ALDERSHOT & FARNHAM

b34_26.jpg.f600436fa7f25e9a78a255a26631396b.jpgb34_28.jpg.959aa74682d58a4451b811d09da9c9b1.jpgb34_30.jpg.ce409c7dd98314cf99d3ce96e0e8f829.jpg

4/5/74 : Three photos - Merrymaker ( or similar ) from Southern Region to York - somewhere north of Dudding Hill ! second photo KILBY BRIDGE

There's not a lot to go on with some of those but any help would be appreciated - THANKS !

Edited by Wickham Green too
first few identified
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, br2975 said:

I would suggest the Western is at Reading.

There's a station name plate just to the left of the station barrow that looks like it's two words. Perhaps Reading General as it then was?

• RMweb Gold

The. 1000 is on the Down Pilot at Reading standing on the Relief Lines Middle Siding betwen thee Down Relief (Platfrom 8 from which the photo was taken) and the Up Relief (Platform 9, in the background) .

0Z21 was the headcode for a light engine to Reading

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2-EPB 5753 pretty much spent its life on the Wimbledon - West Croydon route and I reckon this shot could be at the London end of the long-redundant down siding (Siding "A" ??) that stretches from Wimbledon station almost to Dundonald Road bridge at Durnsford Road. There is a hint in the cab window of a reflected brick arch bridge in the distance of which there has been an empty span at this location for ages.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Tool Van ? ...... nah - it's a Ballast Plough : one built by the SECR, three for the Southern and three by BR - small torpedo vents might suggest one of the latter trio.

It was 2am, I was a bit past it by then 😁. I'm sure I've seen & photo'ed it too at some point - worked with one of the DR763xx (?) series ballast cleaners ??

I think the July 68 special with the two Standard 4s was on 28 July and they would be somewhere between Carnforth and Skipton. The train started from BNS with a Brush 4, then Man Vic to Carnforth with Oliver Cromwell, Carnforth to Skipton with 75019/27, then Skipton to Rose Grove with 45156/45073, Rose Grove to Stockport with 48773 (a surprise as she was booked to come off at Man Vic) and then back to BNS with the same Brush - I think D1946 from memory: it was a long day out for an eleven year old!

(The route was rather more complex than that but I forget the details: it'll be on Six Bells somewhere).

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, lanchester said:

I think the July 68 special with the two Standard 4s was on 28 July and they would be somewhere between Carnforth and Skipton. The train started from BNS with a Brush 4, then Man Vic to Carnforth with Oliver Cromwell, Carnforth to Skipton with 75019/27, then Skipton to Rose Grove with 45156/45073, Rose Grove to Stockport with 48773 (a surprise as she was booked to come off at Man Vic) and then back to BNS with the same Brush - I think D1946 from memory: it was a long day out for an eleven year old!

(The route was rather more complex than that but I forget the details: it'll be on Six Bells somewhere).

The Brush Type 4 was D1946 now preserved as 47771.

Simon

On 25/01/2024 at 00:38, Southernman46 said:

2-EPB 5753 pretty much spent its life on the Wimbledon - West Croydon route and I reckon this shot could be at the London end of the long-redundant down siding (Siding "A" ??) that stretches from Wimbledon station almost to Dundonald Road bridge at Durnsford Road. There is a hint in the cab window of a reflected brick arch bridge in the distance of which there has been an empty span at this location for ages.

Yes, I thought that might be the spot for this one - but the previous photos are definitely at Woking and the roofline doesn't look right for Wimbledon ...... matches Aldershot though. ( the overbridge reflection must be a mirage - the road goes under here )

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/01/2024 at 01:31, MartinRS said:

There's a Facebook group which identifies pictures too - "Railway Identification Group"

• Like 1

The EE Type 1s photo looks like it could be between Wigston and Kettering, possible candidates which spring to mind are Kilby Bridge Junction, Wistow, Kibworth Beauchamp, Desborough and Glendon & Rushden. Could be wrong though!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

The EE Type 1s photo looks like it could be between Wigston and Kettering, possible candidates which spring to mind are Kilby Bridge Junction, Wistow, Kibworth Beauchamp, Desborough and Glendon & Rushden. Could be wrong though!

Definitley north of Glendon North Junction box

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, beast66606 said:

There's a Facebook group which identifies pictures too - "Railway Identification Group"

Thanks for the heads up about the Facebook Railway Identification Group. I'll give it a miss for now as I've got a mountain of paperwork to deal with and phone calls to handle. I already spend far too much time here on RmWeb. It does give me something to do when I'm sat listening to the inevitable music on hold though!

2 hours ago, Stoke West said:

Definitley north of Glendon North Junction box

Glendon North Junction box does have a couple of adjacent location boxes. (One could be obscured by the Class 20s). The telephone pole looks to be in the wrong place and Glendon North Junction has two windows in the locking room, so I would rule that box out.

Glendon Sidings does have a telephone pole in the right place but I can't find a decent photo of that box from the right angle to see if it has the end facing us in the photo.

Kilby Bridge is an oversailing type.

Edited by MartinRS
Error

"Merrymakers" were great especially for us in Kent being "hidden" behind London - it was perfect being able to get on a LOCO-HAULED train at your home station (Gillingham in my case) and end up somewhere exotic on the same train with exotic haulage from Mitre Bridge or Brent Yard generally and be guaranteed a train back too.

• Like 3

I wish you hadn't suggested identifying the MR signal box! I have to try! A number of observations. I have aligned a rule with the left-hand edge of the locking room. The upstairs looks to me to be oversailing. That would rule-out Wistow.

I'm unsure if the rectangular structure in front of the locking room is a location box as I first thought. It could be the locking room door or one of those portable fog-man's huts?

I'm going to suggest Kilby Bridge as the best candidate. Have a look at the Kilby Bridge Signal Box (2) photo linked from this web page. Note the (abandoned?) fog-man's hut, the absence of windows in the locking room's side facing the track. Another feature is the grey box (in the colour photo) attached to the lower portion of the telephone pole which appears as a a grey smudge in the picture with the two Class 20s. The lamp-room is also in the same location in both pictures.

Edited by MartinRS
My error - dor should resd side.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1