Names of TfL Overground lines

2 hours ago, Welly said:

I vaguely recall that during the 1980s the name "Harlequin Line" was being applied to that line by NSE?

Since then it has been Intu and now Atria.

If we call the whole district aroind watford Harry Potter Land folk will get to the right place.

Bernard

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Doesn't matter what they're called so long as they are called something that is a) easy to say, b) helps people navigate their way around the system easily.  Doesn't even have to be names; New York Subway seems to manage with 'A Train', 'B Train' and so on, everybody knows what they are and where they go and the system works well enough.

• Agree 1

The Overground rebranding was clever and necessary but it looks like tfl was duped into burning up £6 million in a sequel that nobody wants. 

There couldn't have been consultation with the passengers, because everyone who uses the Goblin Line knows it by the name. Now it will be called the Sufragette Line, which is ironic as we had to suffer awful service when it used to be the North London Line.

How can we explain to tourists to take the Weaver Line and the Windrush Line etc. It was confusing beforehand 

Edited by letterspider
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Since then it has been Intu and now Atria.

If we call the whole district aroind watford Harry Potter Land folk will get to the right place.

Bernard

Surely the England Women’s football team are more deserving of having something named after them than a shopping centre is? Although if it was me I’m not sure whether I’d want a shopping centre or the Watford local line named after me…

• RMweb Gold

I have to say TfL have done more for the London orbital railways - WLL, NLL, ELL, SLL - than anyone in recorded history. These were lines on which the occasional trains were both short and often short of patronage. The service from Clapham Junction to Clapham Junction via all those routes, both clockwise and anti-clockwise, is frequent and well-used all the way round. Tick. 

If we believe that railways are run to serve the customer, then TfL is meeting a need. If branding other routes is part of the deal then they may just be on to something.  

• Like 8
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Welly said:

I vaguely recall that during the 1980s the name "Harlequin Line" was being applied to that line by NSE?

It was named in a local competition with a small prize. It was at the time when we were doing the resignalling so 1988.

Could have saved TfL a bit of cash. Would have given plenty of suggestions to pick from, possibly even some appropriate and not too politically incorrect. Get the secretary to pick the winners and dish out half a dozen free one month Oyster cards. Job done.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
Making it more politically correct.
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I have to say TfL have done more for the London orbital railways - WLL, NLL, ELL, SLL - than anyone in recorded history. These were lines on which the occasional trains were both short and often short of patronage. The service from Clapham Junction to Clapham Junction via all those routes, both clockwise and anti-clockwise, is frequent and well-used all the way round. Tick. 

If we believe that railways are run to serve the customer, then TfL is meeting a need. If branding other routes is part of the deal then they may just be on to something.  

I use the lines quite frequently to visit TNA at Kew and to get to the Dalston area. The service is usually very good. Better than the connecting service on the WCML north of Watford.

What I do find interesting is that it is not just people travelling for business or leisure, as on many other lines. It actually provides a local service for people without cars. There is always a selection of baby buggies, bikes/scooters, animals and mucical instruments. As well as all manner of trades people, often with large tool boxes,

The overground certainly caters for a need.

Bernard

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Another chance missed by Sad-eek. It was named in a local competition with a small prize. It was at the time when we were doing the resignalling so 1988.

Could have saved Tfl a bit of cash. Would have given plenty of suggestions to pick from, possibly even some appropriate and not too politically incorrect. Get the secretary to pick the winners and dish out half a dozen free one month Oyster cards. Job done.

Why deliberately mis-spell his name like that? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

Why deliberately mis-spell his name like that? 

Because some people cannot accept he is the democratically elected Mayor of London who has the right to Govern how he wishes and so resort to name calling because it satisfies their inner prejudices.

It’s a fact that for centuries the naming of things in the U.K. has generally followed the pattern of honouring rich white men and I for one welcome names that upset the status quo.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, Bernard Lamb said:

I use the lines quite frequently to visit TNA at Kew and to get to the Dalston area. The service is usually very good. Better than the connecting service on the WCML north of Watford.

What I do find interesting is that it is not just people travelling for business or leisure, as on many other lines. It actually provides a local service for people without cars. There is always a selection of baby buggies, bikes/scooters, animals and mucical instruments. As well as all manner of trades people, often with large tool boxes,

The overground certainly caters for a need.

Bernard

And all apparently finding their way quite readily. I don't see that the new namers will be helpful, more likely add confusion for a while at least. The signage and train destinatoion boards etc are very good already.

• RMweb Gold

@Nova Scotian Apologies for an inappropriate post, now amended.

1 hour ago, phil-b259 said:

Because some people cannot accept he is the democratically elected Mayor of London who has the right to Govern how he wishes and so resort to name calling because it satisfies their inner prejudices.

I have no problem with Mr Khan. I just don't like the present Local Government system which has too many layers leading to duplication of effort and buck passing. Where I live the road is the responsibility of the County, pavement is the Borough, lighting on the pavement is County. At our previous house the bus shelter on the pavement belonged to the Parish Council. We are about to have a Mayor inposed on us. The likely winner is currently leader of another Council which has no economic or cultural connections with our area.

1 hour ago, phil-b259 said:

It’s a fact that for centuries the naming of things in the U.K. has generally followed the pattern of honouring rich white men and I for one welcome names that upset the status quo.

I agree with you there. All who make a major contribution to our country deserve to be honoured regardless of backround.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Back to the topic, the Underground lines that existed pre-1960s still carry names largely based on the originating company or one of the key points served.

Personally I thionk the Madrid Metro system is good as the services are numbered on the co;oured map. I remember visiting some years ago and found it very easy to navigate your way around. I still remember that the airport is at the end of Line 8.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

If it’s any consolation the funding for the re-branding is being provided by TfL from its own funds!

In other words NOBODY who lives outside theGLA area is spending any money on it

But the DfT has just given them £250 Million investment for 2024, paid for from our general taxation.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/250-million-government-funding-to-upgrade-londons-transport-system#:~:text=Ministers and Transport for London,to upgrade London's transport system.&text=I am pleased to be,Transport for London ( TfL ).

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

Well, I just hope nobody using the Windrush Line expects to end up in the pleasant West Oxfordshire towns of WItney or Burford or anywhere else up the Windrush valley.

I went to Farringdon on the Elizabeth Line a week or so ago and was very disappointed to find that I was nowhere near Oxfordshire.

I think it probably makes sense to brand the services but feel that the chosen names are too reflective of a particular point in history and may well be meaningless in fifty years. I can't help thinking that they could be more geographical and neutral. I do quite like the way that many of the Underground lines reflect their own history as in the Central London Railway, Metropolitan Railway, District Railway etc. The oddity is the Circle Line which is now more like  a P than an O      

Edited by Pacific231G

18 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

We didn't think much of WAGN as a name and at least that's disappeared, personally I still find the old pre-grouping names like GN suburban or London Northwestern good enough.

WAGN and GNER should have merged into WAGNER.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

To be fair, TfL, and London Underground before it, have rather choen to honour rich white women.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

14 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

I went to Farringdon on the Elizabeth Line a week or so ago and was very disappointed to find that I was nowhere near Oxfordshire. ...

Of course Farringdon with two Rs is nowhere near Oxfordshire ...... it's in 'Ampshire - on the former Meon Valley Line ......................... marginally closer to Crossrail, I'd guess.

21 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

No!  In theory he is accountable to the electorate and answers to the London Assembly, expressly to prevent him governing by whim.  Behaving like a petty dictator isn’t in the job description - and that goes for all our elected representatives...

• Like 3