Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

I am intrigued by the CCTs being shunted by the 0-6-2. These are Maunsell, Southern Railway vehicles, yet one appear to have ER markings, while the other, in a fetching shade of beige, is Midland Region. My edumacation is complete

• RMweb Premium

I am intrigued by the CCTs being shunted by the 0-6-2. These are Maunsell, Southern Railway vehicles, yet one appear to have ER markings, while the other, in a fetching shade of beige, is Midland Region. My edumacation is complete

I've got one like that (the red one); I seem to recall it had an 'M' prefixed number until I gave it a proper S xxxxx S number.  I think the markings on some of them are a figment of Dapol's imagination!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Woohoo!  A B17 and a parcels in the one lot of shots, thanks Gilbert, my day is now complete!

I too would be interested in some of the vehicles behind that 9F as I think I need a few more parcel vans (bogie stock, no corridor connections according to the carriage workings)

Cheers
Tony

I seem to remember reading that the idea behind having a letter prefix and a letter suffix was to apply only to pre-nationalisation stock. For example if a coach had a number such as S 1234 S then this was an ex Southern Railway vehicle which was allocated to the Southern Region. However if the vehicle was transferred to, say the London Midland Region, then its number would be changed to M 1234 S.

I don't know if any CCTs were transferred in this way or even if many, or indeed any, pre-nationalisation vehicles were transferred between regions but I do understand that this was the intention. It was only vehicles built prior to the formation of British Railways which had the suffix letter. Vehicles built after nationalisation only had the regional prefix.

Sandra

• RMweb Premium

I've got one like that (the red one); I seem to recall it had an 'M' prefixed number until I gave it a proper S xxxxx S number.  I think the markings on some of them are a figment of Dapol's imagination!

Mine are a figment of Wrenn's imagination. Mind you, they were pretty good at imaginary liveries, weren't they?  They must be the longest serving models that I have, and my only defence is that back when I bought them I knew rather less, and there was much less choice. They don't run very well, so I decided just to park them by the loading bay to provide a bit of interest and a back stop for photography. Never occurred to me to question the liveries and numbers I'm afraid. Anyway, we are promised some new ones aren't we?, so these will be towards the end of their lifespan on PN.

I thought they looked like Wrenns and I was going to ask how they fared on code 75 track, until I read to the end.

THis is because I've just realised that quite a large chunk of my legacy stock won't run on the new railway. All my lovingly collected Wrenn Pullmans, Old Triang trucks and locos - all headed for the great Bay!

Whose daft idea was it to go for realism?

• RMweb Premium

Mine are a figment of Wrenn's imagination. Mind you, they were pretty good at imaginary liveries, weren't they?  They must be the longest serving models that I have, and my only defence is that back when I bought them I knew rather less, and there was much less choice. They don't run very well, so I decided just to park them by the loading bay to provide a bit of interest and a back stop for photography. Never occurred to me to question the liveries and numbers I'm afraid. Anyway, we are promised some new ones aren't we?, so these will be towards the end of their lifespan on PN.

Sorry, hadn't realised they were that old and had temporarily forgotten about Wrenn, although I have at least one of theirs squirrelled away somewhere!  Yes indeed, they also employed a good dose of fiction; however the openable doors are handy when posing scenes for photographs.  My Dapol one is also acting as a 'place marker' until the promised new ones arrive.

• RMweb Premium

Now, I am probably talking out of my **** but I think Gilbert's brown CCT is actually a Wrenn one? If so, that will explain the imaginative numbering. I have some of those and I think they look pretty good for their 'age'. If only for sentimental reasons I shall be including some Wrenn products on my bit of track at some later date.

Quackers.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

The Parkside kits for these are easy to make and you can buy transfers which have all the necessary lettering in one decal. 

post-7650-0-93330000-1427390377_thumb.jpg

although the Wrenn ones don't go for much on Ebay

post-7650-0-17851900-1427390044_thumb.jpg

I think this went for £10..

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 3

I seem to remember reading that the idea behind having a letter prefix and a letter suffix was to apply only to pre-nationalisation stock. For example if a coach had a number such as S 1234 S then this was an ex Southern Railway vehicle which was allocated to the Southern Region. However if the vehicle was transferred to, say the London Midland Region, then its number would be changed to M 1234 S.

I don't know if any CCTs were transferred in this way or even if many, or indeed any, pre-nationalisation vehicles were transferred between regions but I do understand that this was the intention. It was only vehicles built prior to the formation of British Railways which had the suffix letter. Vehicles built after nationalisation only had the regional prefix.

Sandra

I've never seen any ex-SR vans bearing prefixes for other regions, not that you could read the numbers for the coat of 'crud' over everything; however I have seen Stanier 50' BGs with a 'W', whilst there are records of at least one Siphon G with an 'S', and a WR Special Cattle Van with an Sc. There were W-prefixed/M-suffixed LMS-design CCTs,, but these were an odd case, having been built at Swindon some time after nationalisation.

• RMweb Premium

Of course one could build a kit. I'm fairly sure that Parkside do one.

I have built one, some time ago, and it now sits in one of my parcels cassettes. Being idle, as usual, I am allocating modelling time to things that I won't soon(ish) be able to take out of a box. And I have at least three Parkside wagon kits sitting in a part built state. I think one of them may have been like that for more than five years now...... Sloth. :lazy:

• RMweb Premium

These vans were so precious that the SR used T & T locomotives to ensure they were not nicked by other C & W Foremen.

post-2326-0-05257600-1427469951_thumb.jpg

In case of emergency on seeing these loco's on Gilbert's thread, take a deep breath and hold it (the breath that is) for five minutes.

Ummmmm, M7s.........Exmouth Junction's C12 or N5 (are they the pets on PN?)

Quackers. 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

These vans were so precious that the SR used T & T locomotives to ensure they were not nicked by other C & W Foremen.

attachicon.gifimage0-0032.jpg

In case of emergency on seeing these loco's on Gilbert's thread, take a deep breath and hold it (the breath that is) for five minutes.

Ummmmm, M7s.........Exmouth Junction's C12 or N5 (are they the pets on PN?)

Quackers. 

Both locos in forward gear I hope?  Actually, I rather like M7's - very pretty little locos. This does not mean though that any will appear on PN. What floodgates that might open. Merchant Navies, Spam Cans, King Arthurs, I must be strong, but I might let you run one or three when you visit.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Both locos in forward gear I hope? No way of telling and I have no idea what they were doing. They are on the the up main, platform loop and they are heading for either the dairy sidings (up) or the west crossover to get to the down main/down loop/down sidings/Seaton Branch. Or they are having a fag and a brew having admired Stubby's shed on the platform :mail: .

The 606 Code Disc is the loco code, at this time, for one of the Branch engine workings off 72A.  The rear loco is probably Code 607.

but I might let you run one or three when you visit. Packets, Spams, Arthurs or M7s? Not boasting of course.........

Quackers.

• RMweb Premium

IAn - which insurer are you with? I've never been asked to do a PAT test by insurers.

I find that most of the commercial insurers write it into their policies that equipment be regularly serviced/checked/tested/PAT tested etc by certified tradespeople.

In Catering, even though I can demount the entire extraction sysytem and clean it back to bare metal in a few hoursm, because I am not registered, I have to get a company in to certify it as clean, which of course, they will not do as they haven't done the job! Elf 'n' Safety my rear end. It is the insurance companies whp are driving tis and pushing up costs as a result

Sorry, rant over. Off Topic & late answering

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Premium

OK I am going to be pendantic ars* now. PAT does not need the word test after it. I know that's old news but hey, I'm an old far*.

Quackers.

In the same way as PIN Number doesn't either, but it still appears

Regards

Ian