Peterborough North

great northern

60505...........beast!!!!!!!! 

Gilbert, here is a 'spot the difference test' for you to spend all weekend mulling over (except when you are bathed in sunshine and glory on the course on Saturday (fore.............)

Clue. It is not the card tube that has moved or different angle of shot.

attachicon.gifImg_0060.jpg

Have a good weekend,

Quackers.

i really need to get on with mine. 

Gibert, i though this one ( the comet one) was built for the Flying Scotsman. Oh i suppose others were built for other rakes. cheers

• RMweb Premium

Cor!  Roofs!!! Phil, that looks very nice indeed - great progress. I just hope that it is not unduly delaying your own project. Not the Northumbrian by the way, I already have that. It needed a set of Rupert Brown's sides, as it was fitted with a standing bar in 1957/8. This one will go into my Down Newcastle set, which represents several of the prototype workings, and so it will run several times in the sequence, unlike the Northumbrian, which only gets to move twice.

Thanks mate. That has helped me to get over my visit to the Queens Medical Centre this morning. Nowhere to park, absolute chaos, and no-one knew why I was there when I finally did get in to ENT. Still, I did get to see a doctor in the end, to be told that my GP had got it wrong. Then 30 minutes wait to get my prescription. They are just so overworked. Overwhelmed is a better description. But I feel much better now. :sungum:

Queens......parking......Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Best to go by helicopter to that place.

Good old GPs. They too are overwhelmed but should be more careful. Anyhow, you should now be able to hear all the cheers on Saturday as you hole in one and get round in 68.

Strange isn't it that SWMBO elected to use Derby for some recent treatment (small hand op) and their whole Hand Department and hand OP set up is pretty good and slick as well. Worth the travel. (Best Hand Unit in the Midlands if anyone needs one).

No Gilbert, this Triplet is not delaying my project as I am doing about six things at once, mainly coach hacking and accidentally buying more stock (oh, did  I really say that?)

I'd forgotten it was going in the Newcastle set; good oh! The roofs are peasy as they are plastic and Welly's link has inspired me to sort the vents. If you go back a way and look at the Kitchen Car in Maroon, could you confirm you are happy with that level of detail for the roof? My Isinglass Drawings show a simpole layout on the 1st and 3rd roof areas. I believe the conduits were internalised by 1958 (or was it the other way round?). I would be happy to have that confirmed one way or tother.

It won't be ready for a few months, but maybe we can celebrate its' first outing in the summer? Perhaps Mallard could be rostered?

Quackers.

• RMweb Premium

i really need to get on with mine. 

Gibert, i though this one ( the comet one) was built for the Flying Scotsman. Oh i suppose others were built for other rakes. cheers

Rupert Brown used to do etches for three Flying Scotsman sets - 1924, 1928 and 1938. Each would have been cascaded as the new diagram appeared, and by 1958 the Scotsman didn't have a Triplet, so all of them would have been in general service trains. I haven't a clue which diagram went into which set, and I'm banking on the fact that no-one else does either!

• RMweb Premium

I had the pleasure of a visit by Tim on Wednesday, and as usual he came bearing goodies. I suspect there is some correlation between that and the fact that I keep giving him things to do. Anyway, golf, golf practice and a dodgy ear have prevented me from posting any details, until now. Here is what I think must be a special working which will head down to East, and thence to somewhere in East Anglia.

post-98-0-78738000-1425660820_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-44209900-1425660843_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-64316600-1425660893_thumb.jpg

I have to admit that I was very undecided about getting one of these, as I suspect that like so many other nice things they passed by on the Midland lines, and rarely got onto the lines that I model. I do though have a photo of this engine on New England shed, and for some reason 2070 is one of the March K1's that I remember very clearly as a regular sight round Lincoln. I'm glad I gave way to temptation on this one though, as it is a very nice model indeed, and as usual Tim has done a lovely job on the weathering. Andy Rush told me that they were pool engines for most of the year, and thus got all over the place, so there is my excuse.

I'm very surprised that there were apparently few or no goods workings between New England and Whitemoor yards, but according to the WTT's there weren't, so I might just have to invent one or two, as it would be the perfect working for this engine. Alas, Andy is no longer with us, and I never got round to asking him about this particular conundrum.

Actually, this wasn't the only goodie that Tim brought with him, but the light has gone now, so the other one will not be revealed till Sunday at the earliest.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

That has helped me to get over my visit to the Queens Medical Centre this morning. Nowhere to park...

Did you use this park and ride nearby today? http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/article/23066/Medilink

Back in 2008 when I had an operation at QMC, the multi-storey car park at QMC was abruptly closed due to concrete failure. It has been pulled down hence the parking difficulty.

Sorry about the off topic - carry on with the photos!

• RMweb Premium

Did you use this park and ride nearby today? http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/article/23066/Medilink

Back in 2008 when I had an operation at QMC, the multi-storey car park at QMC was abruptly closed due to concrete failure. It has been pulled down hence the parking difficulty.

Sorry about the off topic - carry on with the photos!

Last time I was there, three years ago, there was a large if somewhat rudimentary car park. Rashly, I assumed it was still there, and I was right, except that it is now the staff car park. I mentioned the lack of spaces at the reception desk, and was told that most of the staff have to get to work by bus! If I ever have to go back, I shall use the Park and Ride.

• RMweb Premium

Hospital car parks, they are a bigger problem than the patients. In the days when I was a union representative at my local hospital at the regular meetings with the management we use to place bets on when the first manager would mention a problem with the car park.

The rules were simple, you said how many minutes into the meeting you thought the car park would get a mention and you placed a 5p bet. The nearest to the time the car park was mentioned won. No union member was to mention the car park first, that made the game void. If the car park was on the agenda the game was only played up to that agenda item. I cannot recall a meeting where we didn't have a winner.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Clive, that worked at Newcastle General too..... (edit - 'cept I was on the other side.....same rules.... :jester:  :sungum:  )

Like the K1, but then I would, being a Geordie.  I see the N5 sneaking in too, makes I happy.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That K1 is very nice Gilbert, but I wish you wouldn't post pics of it, I have very strongly resisted so far as I need to save for Blue A1s and slab sided Pullmans, an A3 or 3 and maybe a J50 if I'm good.

That's a very nice Gresley on the front end of that train, one of your conversions?

Cheers
Tony

• RMweb Premium

That K1 is very nice Gilbert, but I wish you wouldn't post pics of it, I have very strongly resisted so far as I need to save for Blue A1s and slab sided Pullmans, an A3 or 3 and maybe a J50 if I'm good.

That's a very nice Gresley on the front end of that train, one of your conversions?

Cheers

Tony

Sorry Tony, but it is a very nice loco, so I had to take some photos, didn't I?  Actually, I may be a slightly recovering locoholic. Tim brought temptation to place in my path on Wednesday, but I resisted, as I have done with the C1....... so far.

The Gresley is indeed a conversion, the first one TW and I did, in fact. It does give quite a good result, but when even Coachmann decides that there is nearly as much work in doing one as there would be in a full kit build, it is time to think again.

• Like 1

Surprised to read that the conversion takes as long as a model build .

I have done some without any real problems and mine have been Teaked and had the under frame narrowed as well. That was using MJT sides which went together easily. Much better end result  than say a Kirk version and with much better detail and fit of parts.

An old friend and retired railwayman has today unloaded on me passed on to me a box of 'interesting stuff' which I have yet to finish delving through and sorting out what I need, what I want, what I might like if I've got the room, and what will be sold off

Thus far I have found the following of potential interest in this thread in the form of handwritten copies  of the Signalbox Special Instructions for -

Spital Bridge 'box, New England dated December 1964

New England North dated October 1960, and

New England South dated October 1960

Wisbech West dated March 1962

Werrington Jcn dated May 1964

Walton dated October 1960

Crescent Sidings, as at June 1967 plus copy of the diagram 

This means they will reflect any changes made in the 1960 issue of the BR Block Regulations (which replaced the previous LNER Regulations).  there is also Supplement No.1, dated March 1964, to the GN LIne Sectional Appendix issued in 1960 which has some references to Peterborough.  There might be more - I'm still going through the larger format items.  There one or two other LNER (or GNR) items which will be disposed off separately in view of their potential value.

I wonder if i could barge in and have a look too please?

Surprised to read that the conversion takes as long as a model build .

I have done some without any real problems and mine have been Teaked and had the under frame narrowed as well. That was using MJT sides which went together easily. Much better end result  than say a Kirk version and with much better detail and fit of parts.

So was I  -but they do take time....

• RMweb Premium

So was I  -but they do take time....

If I get my ar*e in gear, a Comet kit without full detail (e.g bog pipes and door handles, no interior and not painted, can take me about 8 hours total iucluding tea breaks. Yup, slow by some standards, but that includes all hinges and a bit longer if it has loads of drops.

A 'conversion' that includes change of roof detail and doing things like doing hinges, drops, proper grab handles, change of underframe detail but not including internal redesign or paint finish, takes about the same. (Example, crappy old Hornby Thompson using Comet or Southern Pride sides).

OK I'm deffo no Coachman, but who is? :O

Quackers.

Actually, I may be a slightly recovering locoholic. Tim brought temptation to place in my path on Wednesday, but I resisted, as I have done with the C1....... so far.

Ah yes, locoholism....  I think the medication is working, to a degree.  Temptation came in the form of one of my new toys which I brought with me to try and tempt Gilbert, but he's resisting, for now!

post-6712-0-84196100-1425848459_thumb.jpg

Taken on the phone's camera, so not of such great quality....

Cheers,

Tim

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic!  D201 looks superb and I hope will be a regular...would like to hear the sounds so maybe a video at some point?!

Great pictures all round; can't see why that one is 'awful' but maybe it's me...

David

• RMweb Premium

Try legomanbiffo for sounds, Gilbert - very helpful, and the Peak I have is simple perfect, and I listen to engines very carefully, as an ex-engineer.

I see the old girl's squeezed between those big bully 2-8-0's too!!

G'day Gents

More great pics as usual, always thought that the class 40 (or 2,000, to locomen) always sounded great when starting up, when moving one about the KX passenger loco, it was normal to rev them up a bit to get them moving, then to shut the controller and let them roll, and they rolled well.

manna

• Like 2