Peterborough North

great northern

G'day Gents

Remembering something about a A3 on the Southern, Per Ducky's request, on the Six Bells site....60112 St Simon worked a

special, from Waterloo, on the 25-8-63 to Weymouth, returned to Waterloo via Yeovil Pen Mill, which is fairly close to Seaton, and probably as close as your going to get.

manna

• RMweb Premium

As a couple of comments, on the basis that the overall layout hasn't changed significantly since

1) Crescent Bridge is in immediate proximity to the station and clearly visible from the platform, but when I last travelled (2013) the view through the bridge was of the carriage sidings, or just the bridge abutments.

2) as you approach from the North, the view is/was of the Peter Brotherhood site, sorting office and so forth.

So, I'd suggest that inserting a backdrop of some sort of generic railway/industrial landscape to be visible under the bridges, would improve the photos - perhaps a removable piece like a postcard, if such a backdrop would obstruct operation?

3) Spital Bridge isn't prominent from the platform, it is further than Crescent Bridge, lacks its prominent arch, and blends into the generally cluttered background. I don't suppose this has changed much since the 1950s?

Very valid comments, and on points that are severely exercising my brain at the moment, and have done for ages. The bridges which are now in place are temporary, and have been transplanted from my last layout until we can get the "right" ones built. Spital Bridge is totally wrong - it should be a single span girder over the GN lines - but it needs to be there as a scenic break, and it is visible in 1950's photographs. I don't have time at present, but when I do I'll post a couple of images.

Backdrops are very much on the list of things to do, the question being how we are going to do them. Andy Y and I have discussed them several times, but as yet can't come up with a viable solution for some (most) of them. As to the views under the bridges, well, there shouldn't be a curve at all at the North end, and the one under Crescent Bridge should be much less severe. It was the only way the layout could be shoehorned into the available space though. I'd like to have something as you suggest showing the head of the Nene carriage sidings in the distance, but how to do it is a different matter.

• RMweb Premium

G'day Gents

Remembering something about a A3 on the Southern, Per Ducky's request, on the Six Bells site....60112 St Simon worked a

special, from Waterloo, on the 25-8-63 to Weymouth, returned to Waterloo via Yeovil Pen Mill, which is fairly close to Seaton, and probably as close as your going to get.

manna

Oooohhhh that was close! What I need is RCTS records or Trains Illustrated Motive Power Miss Elainey from 1962/3/and 4. Were there any A3 still alive by '64? 

3) Spital Bridge isn't prominent from the platform, it is further than Crescent Bridge, lacks its prominent arch, and blends into the generally cluttered background. I don't suppose this has changed much since the 1950s?

Apart from being renewed for remodelling/electrification.

Oooohhhh that was close! What I need is RCTS records or Trains Illustrated Motive Power Miss Elainey from 1962/3/and 4. Were there any A3 still alive by '64? 

Hi Mallard60022

According to  "The Railway Correspondence And Travel Society Book 2A"  The following A3's were still active as of January 1964.

60036 Colombo,

60040 Cameronian,

60042 Singapore,

60043 Brown Jack,

60045 Lemberg,

60051 Blink Bonny,

60054 Prince of Wales,

60062 Minoru,

60063 Isinglas,

60065 Knight of Thistle,

60070  Gladiatuer,

60071 Tranquil,

60075 St Frusquin,

60077 The White knight,

60080 Dick Turpin,

60083 Sir Hugo,

60084 Trigo,

60085 Manna,

60091 Captain Cuttle,

60092 Fairway,

60094 Colorado,

60106 Flying Fox,

60112 St Simon,

Quite a few considering,

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Good point about electrification. Spital Bridge is certainly visible from the station, and thinking about it, would have been more clearly visible before the overhead catenaries were installed.

Regarding curves, a very distinctive feature of the approach (as viewed from the platform) is the way south-bound trains appear to perform an s-curve as they approach Platform 1. Last time I travelled to London in early 2015, I found that the station has again been extensively remodelled and there are now two complete island platforms and further changes to the concourse area.

Edited by rockershovel

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mallard60022

Are you looking at a particular MPD?

Regards

David

Apologies for hijacking the thread Gilbert. 

Nope, it is all fantasy really. It only applies if an A3 did actually run on the LSWR main to Exeter.

P

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for hijacking the thread Gilbert. 

Nope, it is all fantasy really. It only applies if an A3 did actually run on the LSWR main to Exeter.

P

Hi Phil,

60054/62/63/65/106/112 were still Southern section engines, and nos 62 65 and 106 were at New England to the very end. Generally they were filthy, but 106 at least was cleaned up nicely for an ECML railtour. You could always invent your own railtour!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks G. Pity 55 didn't last as I actually have that (modified Hornby and quite nicely weathered) and I have a good, old SEF version somewhere; can't remember the number of that one (sad boy).

I suppose I could do Posh V Grecians in an FA Cup contest?

Quackers. 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks G. Pity 55 didn't last as I actually have that (modified Hornby and quite nicely weathered) and I have a good, old SEF version somewhere; can't remember the number of that one (sad boy).

I suppose I could do Posh V Grecians in an FA Cup contest?

Quackers. 

Why not? Surely the hobby is, or should be, about personal enjoyment? You are doing it primarily for yourself, so why deprive yourself of something that will give you pleasure? It really doesn't matter what others think, the test is whether you can live with it. As you well know, I've found that I can't live with things that just shouldn't be there, but that's just me, silly pernickety old ****. I'd love a C1 though....

• RMweb Premium

When you are uploading some of the best layout photos on the forum, there is no need to worry about your photography Gilbert. Really sharp photos of your parcels train taken from an interesting viewpoint.

Larry is himself a fine snapper - so take that as a substantial compliment, Gilbert.

The "out-of-focus" shot from the box steps is interesting. It is more like camera-shake, but only seems to affect the left side of the shot, the right half looking better from front to back.

Things happen so quickly on here, so these got buried before I could reply. I couldn't agree more Ian, to receive a compliment such as that from Larry is something I shall cherish.

• Like 2

Things happen so quickly on here, so these got buried before I could reply. I couldn't agree more Ian, to receive a compliment such as that from Larry is something I shall cherish.

That's it..........Mrs coach is widening the doorways...... I will be impossible to live with now......... :sungum:  :biggrin_mini2:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's it..........Mrs coach is widening the doorways...... I will be impossible to live with now......... :sungum:  :biggrin_mini2:

I've had to widen our doorways, however it is not my bonce that is swollen......................... :nono:  :bad:

Q

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert........you extremely lucky young man. 

If I can find a Larry that has BRSR stock that suddenly is surplus, then I too would be an elated egg layer.

That RF is really the works mate.

Quackers. 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good point about electrification. Spital Bridge is certainly visible from the station, and thinking about it, would have been more clearly visible before the overhead catenaries were installed.

Regarding curves, a very distinctive feature of the approach (as viewed from the platform) is the way south-bound trains appear to perform an s-curve as they approach Platform 1. Last time I travelled to London in early 2015, I found that the station has again been extensively remodelled and there are now two complete island platforms and further changes to the concourse area.

What we must not forget is that the station was extensively remodelled in the 60's including the track layout and the current incarnation is far removed from that which Gilbert has so ably reproduced.

The only change through 2013/4 was the creation of the new island platform which replaced the goods avoiding lines and, as a result, severed rail connections to the old shed and oil depot on the western side of the station.

Edited by Richard E

• RMweb Gold

You are definitely in the Easter Bunny's good books if you ended up with those instead of the elcheapo Aldi Easter eggs which I seem to have been cursed with. Can you tell me what the secret is, my Easter bunny hasn't even heard of Thompson, let alone Gresley or catering vehicles...

They do look superb though, and tempt me into thinking about some sides for my recent Gresleys which were purchased as potential donors. Perhaps if you do use them on the Leeds services they may magically turn up at Westgate?

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Found a couple of 4mm name/numberplate sets in the loft: 60016 and A3 Lemberg 60045. I don't want them and for postage someone on here might like them?

None have cabside decals.

Sorry, taken.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1