Peterborough North

great northern

Don't get me started on PAT testing, or even officious folk from the gas, leccy etc who come, unannounced, into your HOME and start pronouncing in the guise of H&S.

Back to photography.

Jim S-W has achieved some amazing photos on his 4mm New Street, by using a long exposure and "painting" parts of the subject with a single white LED source.

Is that doable?

There was somebody on one of the forums made a very good electrical observation whites that model railways are by their nature very f;amiable and that a lot of the wiring is done by unqualified electricians. Their suggestion was to ensure that the whole lot can be isolated easily with a single switch - that way if you do find yourself having to deal with unexpected sparks, you can quickly cut off the power.

In theory a modern RCD-equipped domestic installation should have no problem sixth any thing that goes slightly off and trip out . If this happens don;t just keep testing it but find out what is U/S and replace it.

Finally vis-a-vis PAT testing this is from the PAT website:( http://www.pat.org.uk

There is currently no strict legal requirement for PAT testing. The Government however has put regulations into place that pertain to the maintenance of electrical appliances and the most effective way to ensure that these regulations are met is through PAT testing.

The UK Health and Safety Executive along with insurance companies will expect you to perform PAT testing to ensure that you are compliant with certain regulations

Most interesting to see this model, as I know the prototype all too well, having been a thoroughly unhappy commuter there during the last days of diesel-hauled carriage stock on the ECML (most of which could charitably be regarded as life-expired) and the early days of the "cattle truck" WAGN service, when ECML made determined attempts to force commuters off the preferred 125s.... definitely a time when my love of rail travel went through a near-death experience!

The actual station is unrecognisable now (I never realised it had ever had an overall roof, for one thing) but the two bridges and the Great Northern Hotel are clearly recognisable on the model.

It's a very different view of the station compared to my commuters-eye-view. As a commuter I was familiar with the carriage sidings between Crescent Bridge and the river bridge, and being accustomed to arriving from the South the extensive marshalling yards and their subsequent redevelopment was a familiar backdrop. Also the station is largely screened from the town - it has never had the sort of isolated, imposing front view which stations of that era often have.

I will follow this with interest!

• RMweb Premium

As the state of my head now allows at least a bit of joined up thinking, I've taken on board all the very helpful suggestions, had a chat to Andy Y, and come up with some conclusions, which are as follows:-

1. I shall always have to try to cope with the lighting conditions that exist. They aren't going to go away.

2. Doing anything to restrict the entry of light would be expensive, and take away money that could otherwise be spent on the railway.

3.Buying a camera with the ability to give larger apertures would also be expensive, and counter productive too, as it would be larger, and so not able to reach the places where I would want it to go.

4. One of the things which has disenchanted me is the time I spend in front of this thing fiddling about with processes I don't really understand. Paint. Net is very basic, but getting a better alternative would again be expensive, I doubt I would understand it any way, and it would divert funds that could be spent on the railway. (see 2 above).

5. Given all of the above, I have to decide where the available cash should be spent, which is not difficult. So, things will say as they are, and I will have to accept the limitations which the site and my own lack of knowledge impose.

Please do remind me of all this should I lapse into whinging about the deficiencies of the images I produce in the future.

Up to now, you have just had to put up with what I choose to show you. I would like to change that, and respond more in future to what you would like to see, so please do ask if there is anything in particular you would like, whether it be particular locos or stock, or a specific viewpoint or style of image. I can't promise to meet every request, but I shall do my best. I shall probably also adopt a policy of less images, but more care in processing them. I'm certainly going to reduce the time I spend fiddling about with them, and accept my limitations too.

So, what do you think? Good way forward? And if anyone can see an alternative way of solving the problem which would not involve significant capital expenditure, I'd be grateful for that too.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Sounds good to me; after all, to my eyes the few 'point, press and publish' shots you've put up so far completely outshine many so-called 'professional' shots on other forums...expenditure away from the layout just to capture that 'perfect' shot seems a bit of a waste when your camera produces such good images of its own accord, and I for one don't mind background clutter, odd lighting angles or whatever so long as the thing's in focus!!

I have a bias for diesels so would request that your Type 4's have a good run out at some point, with a long rake of your best maroon Gresleys if that's not too much trouble... ;)

David

Gilbert two thoughts - one is you can probably overcome some of your problems with a different lens - there are even snap-on lenses that turn iPhones into hi-res digicams, 

The price of technology is dropping like a stone - Adobe have now launched an online app (http://www.photoshop.com/tools) that may be worth a try.

You can also get quite amazing shots with even a standard iPhone, you really don't need a top flight camera. You can also pick up secondhand iPhone 5s for quite sensible money and get two tools in one.

AS you know I am a firm believer that one is only bound by constraints if you choose to be. Years ago I  heard this phrase by which I have lived my life. ever since...

"Argue for your limitations only if you wish to be eternally bound by them"

So, what do you think? 

I reckon I need to sit down with you and your computer on a future visit and give you some no-cost options which may help on the editing side at least. ;)

• Like 2

Hi Gilbert

With reference you my reply to you a few days ago, I have very quickly amended your photo on Photoshop Elements12, its not brilliant but will give you an idea on how you can lighten or darken specific area's within a photo using layers.

I hope you have no objections in me posting this back onto your thread for PN next to your original photo so you can compare the two photos.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-15585700-1426876018.jpg

post-6557-0-26887400-1426876037.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Ooh, request time....

How about the N5 shuffling some of those parcels vans about that appear in the bay, stay a while, (sometimes quite a while.....) and replacing them anew when they get bored sitting in the bay?

Unless I can be of further assistance your worship...... :senile:

Edited by New Haven Neil

Gilbert,

Don't beat yourself up!.  I would say your photography and editing is well into the 20% as defined by the Pareto principle and is way ahead of most of us on here.   I would also suggest that most of us look at the content rather than the photo - and I don't mean that in a negative way.

Hi Gilbert

With reference you my reply to you a few days ago, I have very quickly amended your photo on Photoshop Elements12, its not brilliant but will give you an idea on how you can lighten or darken specific area's within a photo using layers.

I hope you have no objections in me posting this back onto your thread for PN next to your original photo so you can compare the two photos.

Regards

David

I got exactly the same results in Photoshop 9 and ACDsee pro.  It is the ability to lighten shadows and darken highlights that seems difficult to do in free software, even the Gimp which is near enough a Photoshop clone does not make it easy.

I have got a copy of Serif Photoplus X5, but could not be bothered installing it.  Very much like Photoshop Elements which will do the same thing.

If you are interested Gilbert, you can download a free starter version here http://www.serif.com/free-photo-editing-software/

I have used most of Serif's software for years. its good stuff, but never pay the full price, you have to haggle with them over the phone for the best price.

• RMweb Premium

For a bloke who's still learning, you have become learned and I hope the pictures continue to come forth. May I suggest some different parts of your layout though....There must be photogenic locations round the bends....

Round the bends was always intended to be off scene Larry, though I have already weakened and started to develop the area beyond Crescent Bridge. I need a work area though, and that is the only place where it can go, so I'm limited as to how much more I can do. It is difficult to take photos round there too, as it is almost always back lit. The other end is a no go area, literally - very hard to access, and I really couldn't do much with it anyway, as it should be New England yards starting immediately after Spital Bridge.

• RMweb Premium

Ah Gilbert to quote your own reply to Larry back to you..." I need a work area though, and that..." ...is exactly why Ikea made kitchen tables!

OR is that already spoken for as a golf club cleaning department?

I have work areas downstairs Peter, two of them in fact, but there are always little jobs that require somewhere just to put things down and work on them, and I prefer to do those in the room, rather than having to duck under, come down, and then do that again in reverse. My back is much better now, thanks to the Chiropractor and regular exercise, but even so I would rather not crawl any more than I have to.

AH of course. I forgot the ducking under scenario and for some reason thought your layout was downstairs.

I agree about having a workspace and as you can recall when designing Waverley East this was a requirement which I've managed to squeeze in using a redundant Office table from IKEA

post-10395-0-77658700-1427029866_thumb.jpg

I couldn't agree more about a work area Gilbert. It is so convenient building things on the spot..... I do this rather a lot in the warm weather, but the latest layout wont allow this so I've got an old computer desk on casters that can be wheeled out and put back under the layout.

Gilbert, your model and modelling are fantastic. But how many years have you spent perfecting the model and the modelling skills?

So now you come to photography, and suddenly, you reckon you aren't proficient?

Well, for a start, I'd say your photos are as good as most of us would get, composition is good, subject is brilliant, but you're no Photoshop expert ??

And won't that come with some help and some more perseverance?

Keep taking the photos.......

Regards, jeff.

• RMweb Premium

I love the things I learn about the ECML operations from Peterborough North.  I love the banter amongst the readership. I love your great layout and the fine loco and rolling stock models. As for photo-shopping the skies, my basement will always look like my basement.  So when I look at your photos, the more they look like they are a "real MODEL railway," the more I am inspired to build an ECML prototype layout in my own space. So Gilbert please do whatever you enjoy doing, and know that many who tune in here will love it, bookcases and all. Tom

Edited by Dominion

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gilbert

I enjoy all your photos from any vantage point and hope you continue to provide such inspirational shots. I only wish I was closer so I could help you more with the photoshopping and would be more than happy to help process some of them if you need it.

My only request would be to see more trains of any description, though I do have a liking for one early morning and late night parcel workings, plus anything with a B17 because you know that has to be good!

Cheers

Tony