Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I have just found this topic - as there are 600 pages to go through could you give me a hint as to the dates/timeline where I can follow your ballasting and pre work please.

Thanks

All of the work on the viewing side of the layout was done by Norman Saunders of Just Tracks, so everything came ready ballasted and all track laid, as hand made points are beyond my skills. Photos will be in the first twenty or so pages of the thread, I think, as all were delivered between late 2010 and early 2011.

Attitudes/prejudices certainly lingered. During my time at Haymarket in the late 1970s (long after St Margaret's had closed of course) there were traincrew who wouldn't acknowledge each other's existence because their grandfathers had worked either for the North British or the Caley. Add to that the sectarian mix of Hibs and Hearts supporters and rostering got quite complex - although I gather it was worse at Heaton where the roster clerks had to be aware of who was married to whom as well as other "interesting" personal relationships.

Somehow reminds me of the story of Concrete Bob's grandson William (or was it his son?) in the construction firm; Just because he was a relation he couldn't skip the ranks to get to the top - he had to make the tea and tidy the tools away after the day's work.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I sometimes wonder how much entrenched "Company" attitudes were a contributory factor to the lack of success of nationalisation. After all, it went back to pre grouping, didn't it, not just the big four?

You would hardly believe the truth of some of it.  One of our Train Meeters (yes, that really was his job) in Radyr yard reckoned the GWR was the best company in teh world because it looked after his staff and his dad had worked for the Taff Vale and they were terrible  - ipso facto the GWR must be 'the best' (and who were the rest?).  there were daggers drawn between Radyr and Aberdare enginemen which in reality went back to Pre-Group days despite none of them being that old.  At Margam the drivers were organised into links which corresponded with their closed depots - some of which had once belonged to different Pre-Group companies and in some cases they wouldn't speak to each other.

And we had another example on the first, ill-fated GW150 trip to Plymouth when following the failure of the 'King' at Taunton we arrived at Exter with only one steam engine and two crews ready to relieve two engines - that almost turned into a stand-up fight with one crew telling the other that they were 'Southern men' (formerly Exmouth Jcn and it didn't matter who was booked on which engine but as it was a Western engine the 'Southern men' shouldn't work it; argument settled by failing the 'Manor' as well. 

And working with ex Southern Region folk in the 1990s they tended to be intensely adherent to their three Divisional lines which happened to largely coincide with Pre-Group boundaries - thus when i was looking to short list to interview to fill a vacancy my deputy (ex South Western side) would gleefully point out that so & so was 'off the Central and wouldn't fit in here' - so I needn't bother to interview him

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Very tired tonight, so I'll just post the evening pictures and catch up tomorrow. A rather famous V2 arrives with an Up Hull semi fast. Only 9 on, so a nice easy duty really.

post-98-0-85156600-1488493129_thumb.jpg

followed by the familiar shot as 60800 waits for the off.

post-98-0-79207400-1488493244_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

You would hardly believe the truth of some of it.  One of our Train Meeters (yes, that really was his job) in Radyr yard reckoned the GWR was the best company in teh world because it looked after his staff and his dad had worked for the Taff Vale and they were terrible  - ipso facto the GWR must be 'the best' (and who were the rest?).  there were daggers drawn between Radyr and Aberdare enginemen which in reality went back to Pre-Group days despite none of them being that old.  At Margam the drivers were organised into links which corresponded with their closed depots - some of which had once belonged to different Pre-Group companies and in some cases they wouldn't speak to each other.

And we had another example on the first, ill-fated GW150 trip to Plymouth when following the failure of the 'King' at Taunton we arrived at Exter with only one steam engine and two crews ready to relieve two engines - that almost turned into a stand-up fight with one crew telling the other that they were 'Southern men' (formerly Exmouth Jcn and it didn't matter who was booked on which engine but as it was a Western engine the 'Southern men' shouldn't work it; argument settled by failing the 'Manor' as well. 

And working with ex Southern Region folk in the 1990s they tended to be intensely adherent to their three Divisional lines which happened to largely coincide with Pre-Group boundaries - thus when i was looking to short list to interview to fill a vacancy my deputy (ex South Western side) would gleefully point out that so & so was 'off the Central and wouldn't fit in here' - so I needn't bother to interview him

Any self-respecting Central man wouldn't have wanted to go to the South West anyway.

• Like 1

Tallington has a subtle hint of what was there on the western side of the line, I believe the pub used to be a railway hotel - that would certainly explain a bit about the way it is laid out. Sadly it seems to have closed it's doors about a month ago. I'd tend to agree it is difficult to picture a station there now. There used to be a footbridge north of the road.

Further to above, I found this about the hotel. The 'Whistle Stop' formerly 'Kesteven Arms'.

https://whatpub.com/pubs/PET/340/whistle-stop-tallington

http://thewhistlestop.co.uk/  This link refers to a management change last year..

• RMweb Premium

Very tired tonight, so I'll just post the evening pictures and catch up tomorrow. A rather famous V2 arrives with an Up Hull semi fast. Only 9 on, so a nice easy duty really.

attachicon.gif800 2.JPG

followed by the familiar shot as 60800 waits for the off.

attachicon.gif800 3.JPG

That Gresley brake at the front looks interesting - is that a '1' on the door and curtains in the windows? If so, I don't think I've ever seen a first class brake before. Can we have a closer look?

• RMweb Premium

That Gresley brake at the front looks interesting - is that a '1' on the door and curtains in the windows? If so, I don't think I've ever seen a first class brake before. Can we have a closer look?

BSO, to use current terminology, as Jonathan says. I can't find a BFO in any formation in the books I have.

• RMweb Premium

Tallington has a subtle hint of what was there on the western side of the line, I believe the pub used to be a railway hotel - that would certainly explain a bit about the way it is laid out. Sadly it seems to have closed it's doors about a month ago. I'd tend to agree it is difficult to picture a station there now. There used to be a footbridge north of the road.

Further to above, I found this about the hotel. The 'Whistle Stop' formerly 'Kesteven Arms'.

https://whatpub.com/pubs/PET/340/whistle-stop-tallington

http://thewhistlestop.co.uk/  This link refers to a management change last year..

Yes, closed in January. According to Old Maps it was a pub in the 1880's then known as the Cavendish Arms Hotel. My partner recalls watching steam trains through Tallington and rushing to the footbridge with her brother ...

It's only when you get to the 1970's that it becomes the Kesteven Arms.

I too suspect it has some sort of railway link but I have yet to find any evidence. By the way the old hotel at Helpston still stands - used to belong to some friends of mine.

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Liking that Ivatt 4 photo, Gilbert.  The skyline clutter behind the loco fulfils my seeming need to have 'stuff' in photos in the background.  The crew must have gone for a brew?

I think I have decided I don't much like B1's though, and have therefore promoted B17's up a division!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Liking that Ivatt 4 photo, Gilbert.  The skyline clutter behind the loco fulfils my seeming need to have 'stuff' in photos in the background.  The crew must have gone for a brew?

I think I have decided I don't much like B1's though, and have therefore promoted B17's up a division!

Twenty minutes to departure for the Ivatt, so yes, plenty of time for the crew to have a wander around, pick up a fruit pie, that sort of thing. Sorry to hear about the B1, but it may grow on you, as other locos seem to have done.

• RMweb Premium

Given the recent correspondence about the Midland lines, it is a nice coincidence that a Down Leicester was due, and with a Midland loco too. It would have stopped here whatever time of day it was though, given the availability of two platforms for down trains.

post-98-0-08344100-1488579142_thumb.jpg

I had a bit of a dliemma here. I wanted to cut off the end of the bridge, which should of course continue, but doesn't, but in order to do that I had also to cut off part of the 4F's buffer beam. Which is the lesser of two evils , do you think? And yes, peering closely at it, I have now noticed the absence of a shackle.

post-98-0-17245800-1488579375_thumb.jpg

Which fortunately can't be seen in this view.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

What's not to like about B1s?

post-31-0-78911000-1488584072.jpg

post-31-0-51814000-1488584091.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

What's not to like about B1s?

attachicon.gifP1020191.jpg

attachicon.gifP1020199.jpg

The cab sidesheets are too short - the back end looks unbalanced.  A Thompson thing, the original cab on Great Northern after his rebuild shows the same unbalanced thinking.  I think I prefer a tapered boiler too, thinking about it a bit.  GWR - Gresley Was Right.  At least NE engines don't all look the same! :jester:

My late father helped get 1264 out of Barry in 76, he was an engineer on a ship in the dock and took some heavy jacks across to help.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The cab sidesheets are too short - the back end looks unbalanced.  A Thompson thing, the original cab on Great Northern after his rebuild shows the same unbalanced thinking.  I think I prefer a tapered boiler too, thinking about it a bit.  GWR - Gresley Was Right.  At least NE engines don't all look the same! :jester:

My late father helped get 1264 out of Barry in 76, he was an engineer on a ship in the dock and took some heavy jacks across to help.

In that case, we owe a great vote of thanks to your father. I see the GN lineage in a B1, and was brought up on a constant diet of them in LIncoln. so I can't help liking them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And now, more clanking noises herald the arrival of yet another WD, this one having started its journey at Letchworth, but still has a load partially composed of coal empties.

post-98-0-61685900-1488619241_thumb.jpg

although of course you can't see them in this picture, or in the next one.

post-98-0-12805800-1488619306_thumb.jpg

I shall be going for a paddle shortly......on the golf course.

• Like 18

I remember staying at this castle-like hotel somewhere I think in Yorkshire, or perhaps Cumbria, after a downpour the water had collected on the flat and surrounded roof of one section of the building, which encouraged some geese to come along who kept on squawking through the night!

Gilbert, is there any chance of a picture of an A4, or even 'Cock o' the North'?

SVRlad

• RMweb Premium

WD's.  Love them myself, which only goes to show how odd I am.

Enjoy your paddle, if you had rain anything like we did last night, water wings may be appropriate! No doubt a duck may be along soon, he'll enjoy.

post-2326-0-03444500-1488649167.jpg

Quack

• Like 3