Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

But they are like panniers Clive. There are supposed to be lots of different types, bu they all look the same. :jester: :angel: :mosking:

Now swearing at me won't help. :nono:

You are right they do look the same, until you study them. Some are longer than others, some have three windies at the front and some only two and then there are all sorts of combinations of windows down the side. That is before you start to sus out the body profile, I wrote an article for DEMUs Update magazine about DMU profiles that's how interesting/boring they are. 

Now for Peterborough North in your time frame a Derby yellow diamond lightweight, a Cravens set and a Derby long underframe heavy weight should do you. The lightweight and Cravens are already on the roster. I know you had a problem with the Silver Fox class 114, I have bodged one from Hornby 110s but it is a bodge. I also have a MTK one, not the easiest build, in fact I haven't finished it. I am not sure if the 114 is on the list of potential re-introductions by DC kits, it might be worth PMing Charlie Petty to find out. You could enquire if it is something Worsley Works could etch? Etched sides on a Lima class 117 would make a reasonable unit.

• RMweb Premium

This is the bit that's got me beaten for the time being Andy. I can live with the thought of unloading three or even four cassettes to form one train, but on top of that to then individually apply several detachable boards sems to be taking a good thing past its sensible limits. I've not given up on it, but living without them it will be, at least short term.

If you could tolerate the boards, with a sort of pale, generic sort of lettering but not actually saying anything, when viewed from operation distances, the coaches would have boards (but not actually saying anything in reality) and maybe look more authentic? When setting up a few coaches for special photo's then maybe add the correct boards. Using strips of plasticard would mean they were flexible and shouldn't crease like card ones. There will be train formations that never get changed so they could have genuine destination boards if it works for that train unless, of course, it (the train) goes both up and down!

Apiss  Artist

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Now swearing at me won't help. :nono:

You are right they do look the same, until you study them. Some are longer than others, some have three windies at the front and some only two and then there are all sorts of combinations of windows down the side. That is before you start to sus out the body profile, I wrote an article for DEMUs Update magazine about DMU profiles that's how interesting/boring they are. 

Now for Peterborough North in your time frame a Derby yellow diamond lightweight, a Cravens set and a Derby long underframe heavy weight should do you. The lightweight and Cravens are already on the roster. I know you had a problem with the Silver Fox class 114, I have bodged one from Hornby 110s but it is a bodge. I also have a MTK one, not the easiest build, in fact I haven't finished it. I am not sure if the 114 is on the list of potential re-introductions by DC kits, it might be worth PMing Charlie Petty to find out. You could enquire if it is something Worsley Works could etch? Etched sides on a Lima class 117 would make a reasonable unit.

Tim is on the case so far as the Derby heavyweight is concerned, Clive. It's one he rather fancies doing, and he explained how to me, but as usual I didn't fully understand. It will be up to his usual standards, which is all that matters.

• RMweb Premium

OK, so off I went to run trains, and the first one on the list was the 1000 Up Leeds. Oh good, I thought, an opportunity to try out the new cassettes. I decided to time the process. First cassette was rear three coaches, second one two more, and then a bit of hand shunting got the catering cars in place. All of that took about a minute. Then I needed to put in a Gresley FO. Could I find it? Could I ********. I looked everywhere, in each drawer and even in some cassettes. This took about fifteen minutes and caused some uttering of profanities. Then I looked straight in front of me, and there it was in road 2. :senile: On it went, followed by the contents of one more cassette. Knock off the fifteen wasted minutes, and the whole thing was assembled in under three, including positioning the engine. Now I have, for the first time, the correct eleven car formation. I find that to be worth the spending of three minutes of my life on achieving it. Photos will follow later of its progress round round the layout, but for now I'll concentrate on the storage side of things. Here is the present state of play.

post-98-0-27055400-1546449178_thumb.jpg

Road 1 empty as always, West Riding catering in 2, and Tyneside in 3. Road 4 is empty, and may remain so, as it gives flexibility in moving things round to avoid blocking manoeuvres. Road 5 now houses the loaded coal, which may feel a little disorientated as it has always lived in road 3. It will get over it. It has also grown in length, as it now has more room.

post-98-0-14610600-1546449331_thumb.jpg

Class C goods in 6, and the Yorkshire Pullman in 7. 8 is empty, and again may remain so, as it is the straightest road should I wish to let things go round and round, and even to work up some speed while doing so. Talisman and West Riding stay in 9.

post-98-0-62895600-1546449626_thumb.jpg

To the Down side now. 10 empty as always, 11 houses the fish, and 12 another Class C. Nothing yet in 13, but that one does need to be filled, so I can have a nice time deciding what goes in there. Any suggestions? 14 still has coal empties.

post-98-0-25485000-1546449857_thumb.jpg

15 has parcels, which are the weakest of all my trains, so adding more and better stock to that will be a priority.  16 still has the Flying Scotsman, and 17 and 18 also remain as they were. Even though they house trains that will only move twice in the sequence, there seems little point in putting them into cassettes just for the sake of it, and I haven't got enough left anyway.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

15 has parcels, which are the weakest of all my trains, so adding more and better stock to that will be a priority.  

More SR vans G. Especially Bogie ones. Also a few more LMS types?

Phil

Maybe so, Phil, but there are opportunities to have something different aren't there? Steve did say in an unguarded moment that he enjoys building kits of NPCS, and that nice Mr Wealleans knows a lot about it, so between the two of them something could be found.

• RMweb Premium

Maybe so, Phil, but there are opportunities to have something different aren't there? Steve did say in an unguarded moment that he enjoys building kits of NPCS, and that nice Mr Wealleans knows a lot about it, so between the two of them something could be found.

D&S Models ex GNR bogie milk brake appears in a parcels train in one of your books!

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning G. By more SR vans I was just passing on some info I read over on TW's thread about the large number of said vehcles that ran on the ER, and IIRC you do not have some of the really weird looking ones such as the Ratio Bogie Van B I think it is, for example. (Not in blue obviously).592.jpg

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning G. By more SR vans I was just passing on some info I read over on TW's thread about the large number of said vehcles that ran on the ER, and IIRC you do not have some of the really weird looking ones such as the Ratio Bogie Van B I think it is, for example. (Not in blue obviously).592.jpg

A great kit for its time but a bit of a faff to put together. I'd go for the Hornby one now (in fact I have - I've got one Ratio and two Hornby).

The old Tri-ang GUV scrubs up nicely with the Roxey Mouldings detailing kit too.

• RMweb Premium

A great kit for its time but a bit of a faff to put together. I'd go for the Hornby one now (in fact I have - I've got one Ratio and two Hornby).

The old Tri-ang GUV scrubs up nicely wit the Roxey Mouldings detailing kit too.

Yes, a faff, but a good excuse to sniff the Solvent! I'd forgotten the Hornby version and that is excellent of course; forget the ratio one G.

P

• RMweb Premium

The old Tri-ang GUV scrubs up nicely with the Roxey Mouldings detailing kit too.

I have one, but I seem to recall that it has raised lines where there should be plank grooves; (an early incarnation of 'Design Clever')?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

I think I do have one Phil. I'll look for it tomorrow.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

this one, Phil?

post-98-0-58863200-1546598986_thumb.jpg

• Like 15