Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

2 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

Darlington works ?

hmm does Tornado count?

I think the Rules Committee might have to adjudicate on that one as technically it was built at the carriage and wagon works , which dont really fall in Gilbert’s description of “ most well known works:o

I was actually going to nominate the Peppercorn A1’s though, but changed my mind to the V2s after thinking about Cutler 2579s nomination of the V2s. Thinking about it the V2 s punched above their weight for their whole career, on all types of traffic. Probably brought in more revenue per loco than the more glamorous classes, so the V2 it is for me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Are you ok comrade?

It must be your age sir... are you getting confused?

There is only one Z class worth note and here she be, shiny beast that she is :heart_mini:

The ONLY Z Class.jpg

Not built in Darlington but when Gilbert gets to Eastliegh we can vote for it. :good:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, great northern said:

Yes, I remember that they sounded impressive John. When new, they started appearing very regularly at Derby on the top expresses, but always double headed. I can also remember one train where they were removed amid much cursing, and replaced by steam. Later in the year, they had disappeared, and it was back to Black 5s again.

I bought the Hornby Dublo one as soon as it appeared, but sadly it ran little better than the real thing.

Despite seeing most classes that worked in the London area 1960-63, I failed ever to cop a Metrovick. Even more irritating - I had an aunt in Cricklewood, where Condor landed, I think. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

While I applaud St Enodoc’s nomination of Tornado and wholeheartedly agree with his sentiment, sticking with historical accuracy I have to vote for the V2, such a superb, hardworking, elegant machine.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps I should have divided this into pre and post grouping. I envisaged a lot of votes for true NE locos, but as things developed the V2 romped away from the rest, 8 votes, while nothing else got more than two.

Today, we shall visit Derby. Again, plenty to choose from, and the same criteria as yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Despite seeing most classes that worked in the London area 1960-63, I failed ever to cop a Metrovick. Even more irritating - I had an aunt in Cricklewood, where Condor landed, I think. 

Ian, to you and me Cricklewood,but renamed to Brent Sidings at the time of "Condor" for some reason.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Derby...  Interesting. 

Some Stanier Black 5s were built there, but I guess Crewe really takes the credit for those.  To me, the most memorable products of Derby are the Class 44/45/46 diesels, but looking back at Gilbert's criteria including innovation and longevity then my vote has to go to the Midland Railway 1000 Class "Compounds" 

Dare I point out that the "Fell" was built at Derby...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Derby...  Interesting. 

Some Stanier Black 5s were built there, but I guess Crewe really takes the credit for those.  To me, the most memorable products of Derby are the Class 44/45/46 diesels, but looking back at Gilbert's criteria including innovation and longevity then my vote has to go to the Midland Railway 1000 Class "Compounds" 

Dare I point out that the "Fell" was built at Derby...

Perhaps I should specify "designed at"?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Perhaps I should specify "designed at"?

Now I'm confused slightly, Gilbert. Do you mean "designed and built at Derby" or just "designed at Derby", irrespective of where they were built?

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Now I'm confused slightly, Gilbert. Do you mean "designed and built at Derby" or just "designed at Derby", irrespective of where they were built?

What I think I'm trying to say is indeed that we are looking for things designed at whichever works we are currently considering, rather than others which had batches built there at some time. I accept that the lines will be somewhat blurred on occasions. The V2s were, as I understand it, designed at Doncaster, but batches built both there and at Darlington.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1