Peterborough North

great northern

. After all Nottingham Forest would be appropriate for where I live.

Funnily enough, I was looking through the Colchester allocations the other day and the same thought crossed my mind. If the choice of another March engine was up to me I'd go for 'The Suffolk Regiment'. First, my grandad served in that Regiment in the first world war (got mentioned in dispatches as well!) and secondly, I have a photo, currently in your possession, of the loco at platform 6 in 1958. Seems like the obvious choice to me, not that I'm trying to influence you of course!

We chose 'The Suffolk Regiment' for the B17 for Thurston when we decided to build one. Apart from the valid reasons above, it isn't a 'castle' or 'footballer' and is also one of the few (5 spring to mind) with air/vac tanks high on the back of the tender. Mind you, I seem to recall that that tender has a few differences to the others. Worth investigating carefully.

• RMweb Premium

Funnily enough, I was looking through the Colchester allocations the other day and the same thought crossed my mind. If the choice of another March engine was up to me I'd go for 'The Suffolk Regiment'. First, my grandad served in that Regiment in the first world war (got mentioned in dispatches as well!) and secondly, I have a photo, currently in your possession, of the loco at platform 6 in 1958. Seems like the obvious choice to me, not that I'm trying to influence you of course!

We chose 'The Suffolk Regiment' for the B17 for Thurston when we decided to build one. Apart from the valid reasons above, it isn't a 'castle' or 'footballer' and is also one of the few (5 spring to mind) with air/vac tanks high on the back of the tender. Mind you, I seem to recall that that tender has a few differences to the others. Worth investigating carefully.

The strange thing is that I don't ever remember seeing The Suffolk Regiment, though she was a March engine during the whole time that I frequented the platforms of Lincoln Central. Some others never seemed to come our way either- Kimbolton Castle and Hinchinbrooke come to mind. Others were almost daily sightings, for example Welbeck Abbey, Clumber, Champion Lodge and of course Gayton Hall. I've often wondered if March rostered particular locos to particular trains, as I know was done for example at Gateshead. Perhaps some locos worked South and East from March, and only a certain number came North on the GN/GE? Having said that, I do have a photo of Suffolk Regiment at Lincoln on the Boat train. My next March choice will be Welbeck Abbey, because it was an old friend of mine, and because of the photo of her standing by the coaling stage at North that I put on a few pages ago. I would also like Champion Lodge, which was a regular visitor when I first started spotting at the age of nine, but she was withdrawn just before the period in which my layout is set.

As to Colchester footballers, I hope HH appreciates my delicacy in not referring to another of the 30E stud as a possible. I wouldn't want the veins standing out on his forehead every time he visited. :diablo_mini:

No idea of allocation but it has to be WEST HAM UNITED for me :no:

I had the plates made up a few years ago for 61679 Charlton Athletic...! :jester:

(Fictional, of course, but there's precedent in the nameplate design - found this in the NYMR gift shop a few years ago!)

post-1656-0-61286200-1317313667.jpg

Sorry Gilbert, I have a habit of taking your thread off topic! :blush: On topic, thanks for the information RE the A2/2. So you have Mons Meg and the Wolf - another other Thompson Pacifics about? There's something about Meg and the Wolf, the names plus the overall purposeful look of the design.

• RMweb Premium

I had the plates made up a few years ago for 61679 Charlton Athletic...! :jester:

(Fictional, of course, but there's precedent in the nameplate design - found this in the NYMR gift shop a few years ago!)

post-1656-0-61286200-1317313667.jpg

Sorry Gilbert, I have a habit of taking your thread off topic! :blush: On topic, thanks for the information RE the A2/2. So you have Mons Meg and the Wolf - another other Thompson Pacifics about? There's something about Meg and the Wolf, the names plus the overall purposeful look of the design.

Oh yes, can't be Peterborough unless there are plenty of Thompsons about. Duke of Rothesay, Dante and Chamossaire so far, and I suspect there may be more to come, but probably not Edward himself. As to the A2/2's, yes I agree they have character, and lovely names.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice quiet day today. No pursuing errant golf balls, and Tom is putting his Land Rover back together, so I started on the sequence again. I must say I'm very very pleased with the way this is going. The planning and forethought is paying off, as is the time spent identifying and correcting small faults. The contrast with the old layout is amazing. That one looked nice, but was a constant source of irritation and frustration. This one is beginning to run very well indeed. I can't find a happy bunny emoticon, so please imagine one here. Add the fact that it's very hot and humid again here today, which would make the loft impossible, while in the new room all that's needed is a bit of ventilation, and the decision to tear up move and start again is totally vindicated.

As usual, I couldn't resist wondering what kind of images I could get, so here are a few more photos. It's still not quite 0800 at Peterborough, so there's time for yet another load of coal for London to sneak along the Up main and get on the Up slow before it holds up the day's expresses. A typically tired New England WD is in charge of a variety of mineral wagons.

post-98-0-75389000-1317568936_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-97288300-1317569026_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-24301000-1317569096_thumb.jpg

This is the kind of view one would have got from the old Crescent signal box I reckon. As I have individually weathered all 32 of these wagons, you might as well share the results of my labours.

post-98-0-17682600-1317569260_thumb.jpg

Hmmm... doesn't show up very well actually, but it was one of those jobs where you wonder why you ever started it, but are glad you did it in the end.

The next passenger service is a Peterborough East to Leicester local. Old allegiances died hard, so even 10 years after nationalisation a lot of these were still hauled by ex LMS engines, and all seemed still to use LMS stock.

post-98-0-39354700-1317569602_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-88621400-1317569660_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-12002500-1317569715_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some time since I posted anything, but have I been idle? Well, yes really I suppose, or rather my other hobby - getting soaked on various golf courses, has impeded progress. We have done some more work, but again it has been fettling locos and rolling stock mainly to improve running reliability. A lot of derailments were being caused by non matching couplings, so in particular the huge old type tension locks are being hunted down and replaced. I'd like to put kadees on everything, but really both time and financial constraints don't allow that.

The timetable sequence has now progressed to just after 10am, and here's what the local trainspotters can see at the moment.

post-98-0-09728800-1318594742_thumb.jpg

At the South end, a Doncaster A1 has arrived with the 0743 York- Kings Cross, while a local J6 stands in the bay at the head of a short parcels train.

post-98-0-52181700-1318594870_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-60383100-1318594938_thumb.jpg

Closer views show the A1 to be Patrick Stirling, very recently transferred from Top shed, so no time yet for a coat of Doncaster grime to build up.

post-98-0-26282800-1318595056_thumb.jpg

At the North end a New England B1 waits to leave with the 1010 to Grimsby.

post-98-0-49065900-1318595136_thumb.jpg

And a closer view reveals that the grime has been in place for a long time on this one.

post-98-0-94685500-1318595298_thumb.jpg

And a bit of good luck resulted in this shot, which I rather like.

post-98-0-91131500-1318595395_thumb.jpg

Here's one bit of progress- we now have a rear fascia, which has been made so as to be removeable if necessary.

post-98-0-37697800-1318595493_thumb.jpg

Finally, my eye was caught by this lovely Gresley brake, and in particular Dave Studley's superb faded paint job. It hasn't come out as well as I'd have liked, but still worth a look I think.

• Like 2

Your Gresley brake is lovely Gilbert. The carmine and cream does look very much like the photographs I've seen. A small query if you will - the Gresley brake seen above is in carmine and cream - would an all brake Gresley coach (as that Hornby is releasing this December) have had the same livery? The consensus on the LNER forum is that it would have been carmine only. That strikes me as being rather odd given the rest of the Gresley vehicles would have been in the carmine and cream in the same time frame.

• RMweb Premium

Your Gresley brake is lovely Gilbert. The carmine and cream does look very much like the photographs I've seen. A small query if you will - the Gresley brake seen above is in carmine and cream - would an all brake Gresley coach (as that Hornby is releasing this December) have had the same livery? The consensus on the LNER forum is that it would have been carmine only. That strikes me as being rather odd given the rest of the Gresley vehicles would have been in the carmine and cream in the same time frame.

So far as I'm aware Simon the Gresley full brakes were always plain carmine or plain maroon. I know the Thompson BG in the early Elizabethan was painted a strange version of carmine/cream, and from the photos I've seen it looked peculiar, but I've never seen any photo of a Gresley BG in that livery, nor any mention of it in reference books. I now expect to be proved wrong very shortly!

SAC

I think your mixing your Full Brakes with your Brake Third/First liveries ?? I am presuming the Full brakes were mainly used on parcel trains hence BR never bothered to re livery ? .

Superb shots as usual

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1

Some full brakes permanently allocated to passenger trains were painted to match the train. On the London Midland Region, the strongly built 1920s and early 1930s 'all-steel' coaches were often put at the head of passenger trains. Therefore a number of all-steel full brakes got carmine & cream.

On the Eastern Region, it looks like many top trains soon got BR Mk.I full brakes because of their strength and compatability with LNER corridor connections, although for some reason the 'Elizabethan' stuck with LNER Thompson Full Brakes well into the BR maroon period.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Lovely pictures.

Hope the 10.10am to Grimsby wasn't delayed too much by the derailed front bogie.....

Regards,

Peter

Now that's very strange Peter, firstly because I thought I had been very careful to make sure that everything was on the rails, and secondly because when I moved the train out a bit later everything went OK! It made its way to the fiddle yard as good as gold. My defence is that varifocals make it hard to see at just the distance needed for most model railway tasks, and that I'm getting on a bit.

Now that's very strange Peter, firstly because I thought I had been very careful to make sure that everything was on the rails, and secondly because when I moved the train out a bit later everything went OK! It made its way to the fiddle yard as good as gold. My defence is that varifocals make it hard to see at just the distance needed for most model railway tasks, and that I'm getting on a bit.

Happens to us all.....

The beauty of the layout is that your modelling makes us want to look at the pictures carefully to appreciate all the detail.

Regards,

Peter

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Happens to us all.....

The beauty of the layout is that your modelling makes us want to look at the pictures carefully to appreciate all the detail.

Regards,

Peter

Peter, that very kind comment requires more than a click of the "like" button. It is very much appreciated.

• Like 2

A bit Gilbert,more like a Lot according to Little John as me & you are of a similar age. :nono: :nono: :nono:

• RMweb Premium

Well, would you believe it. Just popped into the Refreshment room to buy my Lyons Individual fruit pie(apricot filling) and look what happens.

post-98-0-26147100-1318672473_thumb.jpg

***** train was running four minutes early, and some oik reckons it was William Whitelaw on the front. Don't believe it though, as I don't even have that engine. :sungum: :jester: Have a nice day folks.

• Like 2