Peterborough North

great northern

Having looked at Tim's lovely photos again, two comments. First, that fitted brake van was only put behind the 04/8 as a barrier vehicle because of incompatible couplings. Second, those temporary platform tops look absolutely horrible, but there's no point in doing anything about them now with the station buildings approaching completion. :biggrin_mini2:

Your being two harsh on yourself Gilbert....our postman just popped in for a cuppa (as you do up here in the Dales) I showed him the pictures, his response was..

'What? That's a model??????' :laugh:

Looking forward to seeing the other pictures taken by Tim yesterday! ;)

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There are four candidates Tom, should I succumb to temptation and yet another A2/3. Steady Aim, Sun Stream, or Ocean Swell are in the frame, but Owen Tudor would be the logical choice. With up to nine or ten A2's of various types shedded at New England at any one time I guess there were more to be seen on a daily basis at Peterborough than probably anywhere else.

Great ECML atmosphere Gilbert. Just succumb to temptation and plan to get all four candidates, that will save the worry of making a decision!

• Like 1

Owen Tudor would seem to be the logical choice (as Gilbert said). There's quite a few pictures of her on workings past Retford on the 'net. Ocean Swell however is one of the best names on the A2/3s (in my opinion).

Lovely work Tim on the Thompson locos. The O4/8 particularly convincing, moreso when layered with grime.

I think Owen Tudor would have to be the one, Gilbert. Peter Townend's lovely anecdote about it in various books make it the obvious one!

About to go and crack the apple green paint out on the A2/3 we had running yesterday. Should make a bit of a difference!

More pics from yesterday to come later....... ;)

Ah..........Great Northern. One of my favourite locos, often to be seen on shed at Donny when we went, it was a Doncaster loco by the early 60's.

My favourite pic of it is in the Book LNER Steam in colour, taken at Donny, the light is perfect.

It can be found on this site, I hope I'm OK posting a link to it here?

http://ourpasthistory.com/yorkshirehistory/trains_list.htm

Lovely photos Tim, and thanks for directing us to your blog. That 04/8 does look rather neat.

Thankyou Larry! It was a bit of a labour of love, but the end result is rather satisfying, even if I dare to say so myself.

So, as promised earlier, here's the line-up of Tom's five Thompson locomotives. From left to right, they are:

60508 Duke of Rothesay, 60500 Edward Thompson, 60113 Great Northern, 60503 Lord President and 63653. The A2/1 and /2 have had new chimneys provided by Graeme King, which transform the look totally.

post-6712-0-66171900-1319571751_thumb.jpg

Now here's a thought that has occurred to me. I wonder if anyone has the full collection of 15 classes, including new-build and rebuilds? One for discussion in a new thread elsewhere I'd wager..... :)

Cheers,

• Like 3

Oh what a shot! :) Cheers Tim for that, nice seeing them from that view. The Thompson ladies look rather fine....ungainly perhaps when compared to the Gresley Pacifics...but definitely interesting looking locomotives in my view. Yet the O4/8 in contrast is such a handsome looking loco...she will be very welcome on Leaman Road.

Thank you kindly Gilbert for allowing me to take the liberty of having them pose on Peterborough North.

All Thompson new builds and rebuilds........don't tempt me Mr Easter....the wallet couldn't take the stress!!

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 2

A7/1, B1, B2, B16/3, D20, D Class (The Morpeth), D3 (62000), J11/3, J20/1, K1/1, K5, L1, Q1...Struggling now! Which am I missing (off the top of my head?)

Add the O4/8, O1, A1/1, A2/1, A2/2, A2/3 and B3/3 to that list - I'd discounted 62000 and the J20/1s as they're not strictly rebuild but just modified, though how I forgot the Q1 I don't know..... The J11s nearly became a "standard class" from Thompson's perspective, but they got cancelled.

Anyway, without wanting to hijack Gilbert's thread any further..... ;) (hence my mention of a separate sub-topic...) :P

Cheers,

• RMweb Premium

Great ECML atmosphere Gilbert. Just succumb to temptation and plan to get all four candidates, that will save the worry of making a decision!

But if I do that, then I shall start thinking about Airborne and Straight Deal and even Tehran, in fact the only one I think I'd resist would be Honeyway, as she was one of yours and very rarely strayed down South. Then I'd start worrying about where the cost of my next meal was coming from instead.

• RMweb Premium

Owen Tudor would seem to be the logical choice (as Gilbert said). There's quite a few pictures of her on workings past Retford on the 'net. Ocean Swell however is one of the best names on the A2/3s (in my opinion).

Lovely work Tim on the Thompson locos. The O4/8 particularly convincing, moreso when layered with grime.

i agree Simon, Ocean Swell is a lovely name, but I can't justify another Heaton engine. And why does everyone keep leading me into temptation? :stop:

• RMweb Premium

Today will be spent experimenting with my new camera. :blush: Yes, I know I said I couldn't afford one, but I am easily led into temptation. :girldevil: Many thanks to Andy Y, Gordon S, Tim and Chris Nevard, all of whom helped me to decide on a Canon G12. It took me a couple of days to read the manual, and it may take longer to understand it :scratch_one-s_head_mini: but I think I'm starting to get the general idea. Here are the results of my first attempts. All views/comments will be much appreciated.

post-98-0-43944000-1319976432_thumb.jpg

This was taken with camera on auto setting.

post-98-0-39906100-1319976738_thumb.jpg

Bit more care focussing here.

post-98-0-12767900-1319976821_thumb.jpg

And this one on landscape setting.

post-98-0-72749300-1319976929_thumb.jpg

Manual setting of shutter speed.

post-98-0-59130800-1319977007_thumb.jpg

And this one, dredging up my memories of old fashioned photography, has both aperture and speed set manually, in an attempt to get better depth of focus. This was at f8, which is as far as I can go. No tripod needed, which rather surprised me, and helped by a watery sun appearing.

post-98-0-93333300-1319977216_thumb.jpg

Last one from a different angle to check depth of focus again with manual settings. Soon I guess I'll have to see what I can do from the difficult side.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

What is function of the catch point in the track to the right of the A4 as its set to derail ?

Nice pics more of the Thompson Locos in new format would be appreciatted

The trap point is there to protect the Down Main Mick. There is direct access to it from that bay. What's more it works too. I have a Cravens DMU which creeps sometimes when I'm not looking, and twice already it has done that when stabled in Platform 5 and duly derailed.

I'll try to get some Thompson locos done tomorrow, though two are with John Houlden at the moment for a bit of fettling.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice afternoon spent running some more trains, and playing with the camera.Here are a few of the attempts that turned out halfway decent. First is Kings Cross A3 Minoru, which has come off the 1100 KX - Glasgow and is running to New England for servicing, before working back with the Up Northumbrian.

post-98-0-73851400-1320008180_thumb.jpg

Next is one of the more unusual Peterborough workings. The J3 is working a Class J goods from South Yard to New England, and doing so via the Up main, which is signalled for bi directional running. Why put even more traffic on what must already have been one of the most heavily used stretches of track anywhere I haven't a clue. Presumably getting from South Yard, which was on the Up side, to any of the three Down lines was too much trouble.

post-98-0-98112500-1320008433_thumb.jpg

At Platform 6 is the 1237 to Cambridge, headed by one of that shed's remaining B12's. She has only four months before withdrawal, a sad end for a lovely loco.

post-98-0-90170400-1320008583_thumb.jpg

Finally a close up of one of my favourite coaches, the wonderfully named Thompson semi corridor lavatory composite.

post-98-0-54121900-1320008733_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Those Thompson non-corridors are realistically weathered. Nice bogies too.

I love the colour on those Gilbert, think I said so last Monday....the colour is so rich and the finish perfect! Very nice! :D

Have to say I'm so pleased the new camera is working out for you, make such a difference, look forward to seeing more! ;)

Oh, really like the B12 waiting with it's train, what kit would that be?

• RMweb Premium

I love the colour on those Gilbert, think I said so last Monday....the colour is so rich and the finish perfect! Very nice! :D

Have to say I'm so pleased the new camera is working out for you, make such a difference, look forward to seeing more! ;)

Oh, really like the B12 waiting with it's train, what kit would that be?

The B12 is from the PDK kit Tom- it's one of my treasured Tony Wright locos. And you can't have one at York. :no: :lol: