Peterborough North

great northern

The B12 is from the PDK kit Tom- it's one of my treasured Tony Wright locos. And you can't have one at York. :no: :lol:

Wel...erm....well.... :beee:

I realised I couldn't have a B12 long ago...I can't have everything I fancy... ;) but....I can have a K2 on a Colwick goods :P

Edited by Tom F

• RMweb Premium

Car service and MOT today, came out dead cheap- told you I could afford that camera. :D  Not easy  to use it this afternoon though as short spells of sunshine alternated with deep gloom. Some interesting happenings though. Everything according to plan at this stage as A1 Great Central arrives with the 1040 KX- Grantham. She will sit at Platform 6 for some time, and witness some interesting events.

post-98-0-70133300-1320078005_thumb.jpg

What's going on here though? Aboyeur with the Yorkshire Pullman is on the Up slow.

post-98-0-31747700-1320078114_thumb.jpg

It's prestige express time, as the Down Queen of Scots rolls in  behind Kittiwake.

post-98-0-24956500-1320078231_thumb.jpg

The sun came out just as I took this. :rolleyes:  And here's why the Yorkshire Pullman isn't on the Up main.

The 1311 arrival from Kings Lynn, occupying the only Up platform....

post-98-0-79393600-1320079139_thumb.jpg

This is one of the really good things about operating a prototype station according to the WTT. The Kings Lynn train terminated at 1311, and the Yorkshire Pullman was due just 5 minutes later. Could the station staff have got everyone off that train and moved it out of the way in that time? Well, they didn't every day, as one of Tim's Dad's photos shows the Pullman on the Up slow. The Queen of Scots was due at 1318, just two minutes after the Yorkshire Pullman, so as often as not the two must have passed each other within the station area. That in turn means that one would inevitably have had to be held for the other to get by. I reckon therefore that this set of photos shows a fairly regular event in real life. I don't have to make up operating glitches folks!

The result being that a top express is held at signals waiting for another to clear.

post-98-0-66794300-1320079258_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Love the first photo there Gilbert. Just makes the distance between the loco, coaches and bridge look massive...which in fairness I know it is a good distance, but the photo emphasises that :D

Edited by Tom F

Hi Gilbert,

I was just reading August 2010 BRM with your prvious incarnation of Peterborough in it. A farmer friend usually buys the BRM, RlyModeller and Model Rail and I subscribe to the Hornby Mag and ocassionally buy the others when they interest me. So we do a swap. This is one of his mags and will be going back to him with about 40 others this weekend.

Are you going to be reusing the Engine Shed? I can not recall seeing in these photos yet. I ask because I am building a 4 road Saw tooth roof engine shed and was wondering if you have photos of it. I haven't decided whether to use photcopied card such as Metcalfe or use slaters plasticard. Plasticard is a little more difficult and time consuming, but looks a lot better I think.

Glad the camera is working out. I have some good photos of Gresley Beat and other layouts when I visited in April - May. We have a Sony SLR. It works a treat and takes some excellent photos. Its actually my wifes camera, whereas I was in charge of the video camera on our visit to the UK and France. We both had SLR with film in the good old days.

Keep it coming. It inspires me to get on with my layout.

Mark in OZ

All I know about the real Peterborough is what Ive seen on videos such as those of Richard Willis. The station appears to have an overall roof so will you be adding this at some stage? Interesting too is seeing real Pacifics and what-not entering Peterborough and the perfect replication of these trains on your layout. Well done on all counts.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert,

I was just reading August 2010 BRM with your prvious incarnation of Peterborough in it. A farmer friend usually buys the BRM, RlyModeller and Model Rail and I subscribe to the Hornby Mag and ocassionally buy the others when they interest me. So we do a swap. This is one of his mags and will be going back to him with about 40 others this weekend.

Are you going to be reusing the Engine Shed? I can not recall seeing in these photos yet. I ask because I am building a 4 road Saw tooth roof engine shed and was wondering if you have photos of it. I haven't decided whether to use photcopied card such as Metcalfe or use slaters plasticard. Plasticard is a little more difficult and time consuming, but looks a lot better I think.

Glad the camera is working out. I have some good photos of Gresley Beat and other layouts when I visited in April - May. We have a Sony SLR. It works a treat and takes some excellent photos. Its actually my wifes camera, whereas I was in charge of the video camera on our visit to the UK and France. We both had SLR with film in the good old days.

Keep it coming. It inspires me to get on with my layout.

Mark in OZ

Hi Mark,

The engine shed, along with all the other Allan Downes buildings were snapped up by Gordon S, and will eventually appear on Eastwood Town. I did try to scratch build one of the old engine sheds at North, and it can be seen on the layout at present. It's not very good though,and anyway the doors don't align with the roads on this layout, so as soon as Gravy Train can provide the real deal this one will be consigned to the bin.Here's a shot of the old one as requested. I thought I had some more, but I can't find them.

post-98-0-81256500-1320146050.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

All I know about the real Peterborough is what Ive seen on videos such as those of Richard Willis. The station appears to have an overall roof so will you be adding this at some stage? Interesting too is seeing real Pacifics and what-not entering Peterborough and the perfect replication of these trains on your layout. Well done on all counts.

Thanks Larry, The trains aren't quite right, as I've had to shorten some of them a bit, but nevertheless hopefully they do give the right impression. There was as Coldgunner helpfully posts above an overall roof covering parts of the main Up and Down platforms. Technically in fact there were two, as the footbridge runs through the centre. Gravy Train will indeed be providing them soon. The plan is to get the main buildings done and in place, after which he will complete the roof(s), which will just slot in on top.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

True, Peterborough North went through major redevelopment around the same time the city centre was redeveloped also. The yards further along the lines are about half the size they once were. The first two platforms had a roof.

steam1950.jpg

Further photo's of Peterborough are here http://www.peterboro...uk/blog/?cat=11

Thanks very much for posting that. There's a similar one somewhere miles back on the thread, but you saved me the trouble of looking for it. That web site is a marvellous resource, and has already helped me a good deal. I constantly live in hope that more will appear.

That photo of Kittiwake is so good, that for a moment I could have sworn I could see a heat haze above the chimney.

I'm loving these photos.

I might start "trainspotting" from your photos. I usually do it when I visit the big 7mm layout at Gainsborough...........

• Like 1

I suppose one of the big landmarks at the time was the old power station at Rivergate. I backboard with a generic period cityscape would easily do the job. Looking at the layout I'd have thought a large backdrop would be a hindrance anyway.

• RMweb Premium

I suppose one of the big landmarks at the time was the old power station at Rivergate. I backboard with a generic period cityscape would easily do the job. Looking at the layout I'd have thought a large backdrop would be a hindrance anyway.

There won't be a back scene on the window side, as I like being able to view and photograph from that side. I may put something in behind the two bridges when the correct ones are in place, but I'm not sure about that at present.

• RMweb Premium

Very nice soft light this afternoon, so more camera experimentation. First by special request :wink_mini: a Thompson Pacific.

Slightly better result with back lighting I think. Wish I could remember the settings. :dontknow:

post-98-0-03749600-1320162287_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-61077100-1320162181_thumb.jpg

A K3, South East Finecast kit, on a Colwick- Ferme Park Class F. Unusually the loco is a Lincoln engine.

post-98-0-28507800-1320162472_thumb.jpg

And this would be the view from the North end of Platform 3.

post-98-0-67604800-1320162606_thumb.jpg

Next on the Down main is Grantham's A3 Persimmon with the 1230 KX - Newcastle.

And on the Up, the Fair Maid, the short lived renaming of the Morning Talisman, which was extended to and from Perth. The experiment failed, and someone may have discovered what Sir Walter Scott's fair maid of Perth did for a living. :laugh_mini2:

post-98-0-00187800-1320162962_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-91172300-1320162736_thumb.jpg

I don't know why these things transpose themselves. :rolleyes_mini:

And that famous view from Platform 3 again.

post-98-0-93223400-1320163151_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Gorgeous locomotive. The Thompson Pacifics have a style all their own.

Everyone modelling a corner of the ECML should have at least one, somewhere. I intend to have at least three, one of each of the A2s at some point. 60500, 60506 and 60508 will do me nicely!

Your photography is blossoming Gilbert. That camera has really upped the ante. As Tom said rightly earlier, the perception of depth and that sheer length of line up to the bridge you can see makes it look real.

Edited by S.A.C Martin
  • Like 2

Thommo shield up again :locomotive:

some of my favourites simply cause they are different :O for all the flack they werent bad engines as confirmed by various sources :stinker:

I have Great Northern, Duke of Rothesay and Hycilla built and 3/4 of the way through Wolf of Badenoch to complete the series.

Thanks for the photos.

A2/3 from Bachmann next year :no: they are 3/4 of the way there already, the A2 only needs a new front end, valve gear and revised cab area job done.

Edited by micklner

It's sad but the Thompson thing extends to video commentary as well. Several minutes of A1s, A3s and A4's slipping on departure and nothing is said. Then what is described as an "ungainly" Thompson A2 hitches up and the commentator goes into hypo-gear about slipping. Silly person! :no:

• Like 1

When shooting locos against the window Gilbert, try to get a light reading off the loco. Point the centre of the viewfinder at the loco to take a reading then hold this exposure by holding the shutter button halfway down then recompose your shot before pressing the shutter the rest of the way. The background will bleach out but that won't matter in this instance.

Of course the G12 might not allow this....I haven't read up on this Canon.

• RMweb Premium

When shooting locos against the window Gilbert, try to get a light reading off the loco. Point the centre of the viewfinder at the loco to take a reading then hold this exposure by holding the shutter button halfway down then recompose your shot before pressing the shutter the rest of the way. The background will bleach out but that won't matter in this instance.

Of course the G12 might not allow this....I haven't read up on this Canon.

Thanks Larry. The camera will allow me to do that I think so I'll give it a try. I am expecting Andy Y later today, he has a G12 and has kindly offered to help, so hopefully things will get even better when I have his assistance. You can't beat hands on tuition.

Thanks Larry. The camera will allow me to do that I think so I'll give it a try. I am expecting Andy Y later today, he has a G12 and has kindly offered to help, so hopefully things will get even better when I have his assistance. You can't beat hands on tuition.

Ah, a G12 Summit....... :yes: