RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

gawd.....some people can't read....I was on the other platform and I can tell you it was 60034! :sarcastichand:

Edited by Tom F

• RMweb Premium

Having read Andy Y's excellent photography tips in Showcase, I've been conducting a few experiments. Your views would be very welcome. We start with the period just after the day's most glamorous train, the Elizabethan, has passed through. A station pilot is in Platform 4 having transferred the stock for the 1058 to Yarmouth via the M &GN from the carriage sidings. This train is not much good for day trippers, as it takes well over four hours to reach the sea side. The C12 is now trapped until the train leaves, but I doubt the crew mind that very much. In Platform 6 is another train that hasn't exactly tired the fireman out, as the D16 has come all of a mile with the shuttle service from Peterborough East. Two shots of this, one taken with a big ISO setting, the other in natural light. Which do you prefer? Neither of course is quite good enough. :sad_mini:

post-98-0-27784000-1318863789_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-83243100-1318863824_thumb.jpg

Next comes an Ivatt 4, which has used the engine line from New England, and is now blocking both Up and Down main lines as it makes its way to Platform 4. This was taken using ISO 100, and I reckon its by far the best result I've had from this side so far.

post-98-0-35164200-1318863964_thumb.jpg

This next one needs a bit of explaining away. It's a Birmingham- Ely train, and would have had an LMS engine as far as Peterborough. It's even possible that by 1960 it may have had a Jubilee, as several were transferred to Leicester Midland shed that year. I have photographic evidence of them at North.....it's just that I've anticipated the transfers a bit. In other words, I couldn't resist one. :blush: There's a problem here though. There should be a March engine waiting to take the train on, but there isn't. A phone call to Control will shortly reveal that Hornby haven't yet delivered the necessary B17. :laugh_mini: Anyway, while everyone is trying to sort that out, the 0940 KX- Newcastle rolls through on the Down main.

post-98-0-59055700-1318864432_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-03268200-1318864476_thumb.jpg

I don't think this A3 has featured yet on this layout. It's a DJH kit built one, which I must have owned for 20 years plus. Grantham shed have given her a really good polish, to the extent that you can't see the identity of the loco. 60111 Enterprise for the spotters among you. :wink_mini:

post-98-0-55697400-1318864819_thumb.jpg

Finally as I'm feeling generous, two and a bit locos for the price of one, including the South end pilot, and the top of a bottle of superglue. :banghead: Why do I never notice these things till it's too late?

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear :blush: :blush: :blush: I did say I acquired this loco many years ago didn't I? I obviously didn't specify exactly enough what specification I wanted back then. There were still I think about nine of these boilers on A3's in my period..... but 111 wasn't one of them. :madclear: I've checked both Yeadon and the green book- it's definitely wrong. Ignorance was bliss, but I shall now have to do a hasty renumber and name. Thanks for pointing it out Simon, as you know I do like to get these things right. Oh, and you were right about the Pritt stick too. Though perhaps Pratt stick would be more appropriate at present. :fool_mini:

Whilst not an ECML person, I do like Gresley caoches and parcels stock (but then I like all [parcels stock), one or two even turn up on Wencombe.

post-7090-0-58343500-1318870706_thumb.jpg

Coach is the York portion of the Kingsbridge-Manchester train.

Edited by westerner
  • Like 2

Oh dear :blush: :blush: :blush: I did say I acquired this loco many years ago didn't I? I obviously didn't specify exactly enough what specification I wanted back then. There were still I think about nine of these boilers on A3's in my period..... but 111 wasn't one of them. :madclear: I've checked both Yeadon and the green book- it's definitely wrong. Ignorance was bliss, but I shall now have to do a hasty renumber and name. Thanks for pointing it out Simon, as you know I do like to get these things right.

My apologies in one sense for pointing it out! :blush: but happy to help.

Oh, and you were right about the Pritt stick too. Though perhaps Pratt stick would be more appropriate at present. :fool_mini:

Never. Not with a layout as well thought out and developed as yours!

• Like 1

I always had a soft spot for Jubilees. In later years, they used to turn up on freights from the Leed area to Frodingham..........cue mass influx of spotters to the local shed. A very nice looking loco.

They were about the only green engines we saw, apart from a couple of years when Britannias hauled the 1930 ex Cleethorpes to Doncaster.

And once a Patriot visted........but wouldn't you know it, one of the un-named ones.

• Like 1

What are you using to photograph the layout with? If it's a camera with control over the iris, you need to shut the aperture down to its smallest figure to increase depth of field. Resting the camera on the baseboard will be steady enough for a time exposure of several seconds duration. Well its the way i always do it. The pundits will say there are all sorts of reasons why a lens should be shut down completely, but hey, the results are what counts.

Would that A3 be the one I remember seeing looking rather ex works when I was last over? She looks rather spick and span in that photo and there was one I remember seeing that seemed to really gleam!

I love the C12 with Crimson Cream stock :)

Little request...any chance of seeing some photos of ex GCR motive power on minerals....or a V2 on fast freight.....hopefully not messing up your sequence too much! :secret: :derisive:

Edited by Tom F

• RMweb Premium

What are you using to photograph the layout with? If it's a camera with control over the iris, you need to shut the aperture down to its smallest figure to increase depth of field. Resting the camera on the baseboard will be steady enough for a time exposure of several seconds duration. Well its the way i always do it. The pundits will say there are all sorts of reasons why a lens should be shut down completely, but hey, the results are what counts.

It's a very cheap thing Larry, and having read the insructions again I can't see any way to do a proper time exposure. I've analysed the last few shots, and it seems whatever I try to do with the camera it always comes out at F3.5 to 4. I confess I don't really understand digital cameras, and even my knowledge of conventional ones is very rusty. Nevertheless I would expect to be able to vary things a lot more than that with a "proper" camera. And I'd be able to use an exposure meter too.

• RMweb Premium

Would that A3 be the one I remember seeing looking rather ex works when I was last over? She looks rather spick and span in that photo and there was one I remember seeing that seemed to really gleam!

I love the C12 with Crimson Cream stock :)

Little request...any chance of seeing some photos of ex GCR motive power on minerals....or a V2 on fast freight.....hopefully not messing up your sequence too much! :secret: :derisive:

That's the one Tom. Nice paint job, but unfortunately not very accurate in other respects. Next Class C isn't due till 1407 , and the 04's next duty is at 1734, but I'll ask Control to see what can be done tomorrow.

Really enjoying the trip down memory lane Gilbert. Some wonderful items of stock and the setting is perfect.

As far as your camera is concerned, see if you have a 'manual' setting and then set the aperture to F8. You will need to stand the camera on something solid. Then keep extending the time until you get a decent pic in the viewfinder screen. It doesn't matter if it's as much as 15 seconds if you have set the camera on a solid base. I would also set the delay timer to 2 or 10 seconds so you can press the button and the let the camera steady itself before the shutter opens. With any luck you should get a decent pic. The lower the ISO setting, the longer the exposure will be, but the quality will improve.

I hope to get back to see you later this year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Really enjoying the trip down memory lane Gilbert. Some wonderful items of stock and the setting is perfect.

As far as your camera is concerned, see if you have a 'manual' setting and then set the aperture to F8. You will need to stand the camera on something solid. Then keep extending the time until you get a decent pic in the viewfinder screen. It doesn't matter if it's as much as 15 seconds if you have set the camera on a solid base. I would also set the delay timer to 2 or 10 seconds so you can press the button and the let the camera steady itself before the shutter opens. With any luck you should get a decent pic. The lower the ISO setting, the longer the exposure will be, but the quality will improve.

I hope to get back to see you later this year.

Thanks Gordon. I think one of the problems is that I have a camera with very limited functions. I do have a manual setting facility, but I can't set the aperture to a specific value. All I can do is alter the ISO, the minimum being 100 which still makes things too light. It's those three big windows which are the problem, they let in a lot of light, which should be a good thing, but in fact turns out not to be, particularly when trying to take photos looking towards them. When Tony Wright was around he used his very expensive professional kit with attached lighting, and that just about did the job. I suspect I'm going to have to put a lot more light on the subject, and find some way of blocking off the light from the windows too. I have only very limited scope for timed exposure too, but I'll see what can be done with that later. Got to play golf today.

• RMweb Premium

The pic in my last post was taken with a Lumix FS 30 which as far as I know has no way of altering the aperture. It was taken with just the room light on, flash off and a 2sec delay. I am amazed how good the pics come out with this camera.

Hi Alan,

Can't multiquote at present for some reason, so please see my reply to Gordon above. I presume you don't have problems with back lighting? I think if I didn't I'd get better results anyway, but my £50 camera isn't the answer!

I dont have trouble with backlighting as the curtains in the room (the window is quite small) were closed so as I said the only light was an energy saving bulb(equivalent to 100watts) in the centre of the room. and taken at about 5.30pm so daylight was already going.

Edited by westerner

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks to Gordon S, who is helping me try to get some better results from this ***** camera. Here are a few more shots taken during this experiment, but only the ones that turned out half decent of course.

post-98-0-77946000-1319039527_thumb.jpg

In sneaks a very late mineral empties, unusually headed by an 04.( What I do for you Tom F.) :no:

post-98-0-70869100-1319040209_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-49904100-1319040257_thumb.jpg

Still a bit too dark, but Gordon and I are determined to beat this.

Next Up train is the 0843 Cleethorpes- Kings Cross, still rostered at this time to an Immingham B1. I doubt they would have used this one unless they had to as 61379 Mayflower had I am told a reputation as a "black sheep".

post-98-0-01975700-1319040482_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-83329300-1319040544_thumb.jpg

Still a bit of light left, so I'll go and try a few more experiments, and see if the camera is prepared to use a setting other than f3.

Edited by great northern

Having read Andy Y's excellent photography tips in Showcase, I've been conducting a few experiments. Your views would be very welcome. We start with the period just after the day's most glamorous train, the Elizabethan, has passed through. A station pilot is in Platform 4 having transferred the stock for the 1058 to Yarmouth via the M &GN from the carriage sidings. This train is not much good for day trippers, as it takes well over four hours to reach the sea side. The C12 is now trapped until the train leaves, but I doubt the crew mind that very much. In Platform 6 is another train that hasn't exactly tired the fireman out, as the D16 has come all of a mile with the shuttle service from Peterborough East. Two shots of this, one taken with a big ISO setting, the other in natural light. Which do you prefer? Neither of course is quite good enough. :sad_mini:

post-98-0-27784000-1318863789_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-83243100-1318863824_thumb.jpg

Next comes an Ivatt 4, which has used the engine line from New England, and is now blocking both Up and Down main lines as it makes its way to Platform 4. This was taken using ISO 100, and I reckon its by far the best result I've had from this side so far.

post-98-0-35164200-1318863964_thumb.jpg

This next one needs a bit of explaining away. It's a Birmingham- Ely train, and would have had an LMS engine as far as Peterborough. It's even possible that by 1960 it may have had a Jubilee, as several were transferred to Leicester Midland shed that year. I have photographic evidence of them at North.....it's just that I've anticipated the transfers a bit. In other words, I couldn't resist one. :blush: There's a problem here though. There should be a March engine waiting to take the train on, but there isn't. A phone call to Control will shortly reveal that Hornby haven't yet delivered the necessary B17. :laugh_mini: Anyway, while everyone is trying to sort that out, the 0940 KX- Newcastle rolls through on the Down main.

post-98-0-59055700-1318864432_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-03268200-1318864476_thumb.jpg

I don't think this A3 has featured yet on this layout. It's a DJH kit built one, which I must have owned for 20 years plus. Grantham shed have given her a really good polish, to the extent that you can't see the identity of the loco. 60111 Enterprise for the spotters among you. :wink_mini:

post-98-0-55697400-1318864819_thumb.jpg

Finally as I'm feeling generous, two and a bit locos for the price of one, including the South end pilot, and the top of a bottle of superglue. :banghead: Why do I never notice these things till it's too late?

I prefer the darker lower photo, not just because of the depth of field but also because the slightly darker colours seem to be more representative of how the scene was in the smoky 1950s/early 60s.

I would have thought that, given the non availability of a B17, March would probably send a K3 to take over from the Jubilee (assuming the K3 does not exceed the RA restriction for the route).

• RMweb Premium

Didn't it get Peter Townend into trouble when it failed at 34A just before working a special for which it had been specifically requested? He sent out a 'ringer' but was rumbled by a trainspotter?

Yes, I've read that too Jonathan, but I can't remember what caused the replacement to be rumbled. Can you imagine anyone going to the lengths of renumbering a loco and removing nameplates and transferring them these days?