Peterborough North

great northern

Wouldn't it be great if Tony W could do a series of articles* with pics depicting all the layouts from Kings Cross to (say) Doncaster?

I think there is maybe a book* there somewhere? (Gainsboroung MRS through Gresley Beat through all stations/locations to Stoke Summit and then Gamston Bank).

Another couple to add to the growing list, Biggleswade and Welwyn North!

Ian

• Like 1

Biggleswade is now resident on southern Dartmoor. I purchased it from the original builders and picked it up from Roy Jacksons home where it had been in store - and got a chance to view hisamazing "Retford". Unfortunately, due to planning problems I have not been able to convert one of my barns to give Biggleswade a new permanent home, but it has been partially erected in a smaller barn. It is still fully operational and the barn is heated so it is being kept in good condition. I am hoping to move next year and one of the top priorities is a permanent home for the layout - at least the delay has allowed me to build up my stock so I can hopefully fill the enormous fiddleyard!!

When I picked up the layout from Roys and met the original builders, it turned out that one of them had been a member of Middlesbrough Model Railway Club at the same time as I was back in the mid 60s and we even recognised each other!!

Geoff Hodson

• Like 3

There is a chap on LNER forums by the name of Columbo I think, who has a rather impressive layout of York Station.

Edited by Tom F

By kind permission of Mr Wright we can now move a few miles further up the ECML, and pause to take in the scene at Little Bytham. ...

TW's photography of course.... The shots of the M&GN are a lovely counterpoint to the main line, don't you think? It was a railway full of character and the few remnants which can still be seen as I travel down to Tony's always tug at the heartstrings a bit.

Of course, like everyone else I've been transfixed (and a bit jealous!) of your wonderful layout, but those last images of the M&GN were quite extraordinary for me. An uncle worked on the M&GN, and I've spent lots of time walking along the route of line to catch a glimpse of an occasional surviving bridge or signal or piece of trackbed.

As the first of the big line closures, for me there's something terribly sad about that loss, about what it foreshadowed. And the more I've read, the more I've come to think the M&GN itself was a pretty remarkable line. My fantasy layouts include South Lynn and, when I'm feeling megalomaniacal, Melton Constable (where the operating potential is positively frightening).

Thanks for the marvellous shots of all your work, but particularly of Little Bytham.

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Back to my photography now I'm afraid. I picked up this gem from the Post Office the other day- another of Ian Willets lovely builds, and beautifully painted by Dave Studley. This is a Gresley RF to Dia 10c, using the MJT sides now available from Dart Castings. I think I'm starting to appreciate rolling stock like this as much if not more than locomotives. :O Am I coacholic as well? If so, there can be no hope.....

post-98-0-47010000-1323605137_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-44399000-1323605189_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

That's a lovely looking coach Gilbert. How much does it weigh, say compared to a Bachmann Mk1?

Regards,

Peter

Weighs about 250g Peter. A standard Bachmann Mk1 comes out at 175g using the same scales. The Bachmann one still has the weight in it. Ian Willets' bogies are so free running though that the added weight really doesn't make any difference.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Gilbert.

Just on another point if I may. Looking at your bookshelves, I hope the slender supports are strong enough - wouldn't want those tomes falling on the layout....

Peter

They've been there for fifteen years now Peter- long before I built the layout- I made quite sure they wouldn't collapse before I started building. There is a lot of other support in addition to what you can see. I have to be careful when I want to get a book out though, particularly from the top shelves.

Back to my photography now I'm afraid. I picked up this gem from the Post Office the other day- another of Ian Willets lovely builds, and beautifully painted by Dave Studley. This is a Gresley RF to Dia 10c, using the MJT sides now available from Dart Castings. I think I'm starting to appreciate rolling stock like this as much if not more than locomotives. :O Am I coacholic as well? If so, there can be no hope.....

Now that's what Hornby should have released and not the Buffet!

Edited by davidw

There is a chap on LNER forums by the name of Columbo I think, who has a rather impressive layout of York Station.

your right Tom - very impressive it is too!

You can't post like this without providing a link! :D

Has he used a Hornby Gresley Coach as a base ? as used here in a much better livery :locomotive:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/943-lner-models-in-4mm/page__st__225

about halfway down

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Has he used a Hornby Gresley Coach as a base ? as used here in a much better livery :locomotive:

http://www.rmweb.co....m/page__st__225

about halfway down

No Mick, Ian has a load of parts which he mixes and matches to get the correct result, so this coach will be a mixture of different makers' stuff. I don't know what though - trade secret!