RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

I bought a copy of Mendip Railway Man by Peter Smith over Xmas - he rated the Standard 5s as better than anything, and miles better than a Bulleid. I'm happy to take his word for it, as a man of footplate experience he clearly knew what really worked and what didn't. SO I'm not surprised your day out with a Five was a cracker. I'm Green (Train) with envy :D

Nice to have a bit of S&D mentioned on this excellent thread. The book referred to is Mendips Engineman by Peter Smith and is indeed a cracking read. The companion volume, Footplate over the Mendips' is, in my opinion, even better charting the career of probably the best known S&D driver, and Peter Smith's mate and mentor, Donald Beale. The book follows Donald's career starting at Bath just after the First War till his retirement in 1966. Very highly recommended.

Jerry - very much enjoying this thread from 'the dry side'

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wasn't going to bother with more photos today, but the thought of a pining duck made me change my mind. I wish I hadn't. Some days all goes smoothly, and others it doesn't. :ireful:  Having spent much time trying to shop them, I'll put them on anyway, but with apologies.

post-98-0-66934800-1358962231_thumb.jpg

A shabby Immingham B1 waits to depart with the 9.00pm to Grimsby.

post-98-0-31363700-1358962307_thumb.jpg

Just about acceptable. Britannias were transferred to Immingham in 1961, but I have brought the arrival of at least one forward somewhat. 70035 used to appear every day for months at Lincoln in 1958 on the Newcastle- Colchester train, so that is the one I chose. There is good evidence though of quite a lot of Brits being seen on the main line in my period, so it isn't too much of an an anachronism. The train is a Grimsby- KX parcels, carefully posed so that queries cannot be raised about missing erect or dangly bits.

post-98-0-60447900-1358962655_thumb.jpg

Here's where things start to go downhill, like the cabside numbers on the loco. :banghead: Why does the camera always make things like this look so much worse?  Nothing went right with my attempts to shop this one, and in the end I gave up, as you can see, if you look closely. Please don't. :no:

post-98-0-97822800-1358962897_thumb.jpg

And the now familiar three quarter rear view, but I just don't like this one much. Is it a weakness of the front end design which means that like the Standard 5 it doesn't look quite right?  Time for tea.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

The 'pining duck' is most grateful. You are a gentleman young Gilbert.

I'm a Brit fan after a memorable meeting with 70000 at Liverpool Street in 1960 and then again at 36E last year for the first time since that first meeting. Also lots of coaches for me to admire. Yummy.....

P

These photographs just get better and better and are a wonderfully worthy testament to their represented time - summer 1958. A time when the railway was a truly wondrous place to see and when steam still reigned supreme, and it just doesn't get better than that.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 3

That sky in post #3504 and seen again with the Brit is spot on.

What we need now is DCC smellovision....... I'm always trying to explain to kids about the smells and smoke at Liverpool Street Station. A big part of the experience, I think.

I agree, superb photo though.

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The rear 3/4 view has me wondering.  Well, a lot of things do that, it's my age, but...

I normally like that viewpoint, and indeed several of Gilbert's photos have had all three legs jiggling in excitement, but both the Std 5 and Brit do not look paticularly good that way.  I rather like Brits too, not bothered either way about the 5...and really the front ends are quite different, but neither locos are at their best here. 

An A3 however...or even those Thompsons ..... look superb.  I just can't nail why.  OK the 5 has the smaller taper boiler, but the Brit has a strong front end with the big boiler and smoke deflectors (with NO handrails....WR Design clever?....titter). Odd.  I shall ponder.

• Like 2

Can't agree: I like shots of Brits and others "going away", they always have that extra something, probably being rarer.

But then, what do I know? I preferred the A3's with their German smoke deflectors. I thought they made something out of a weak front end.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

.....they made something out of a weak front end.

I shall try German Smoke Deflectors then ........ :sarcastichand:

Me too, I thought the A3 with those (introduced at Top Shed by Mr. Townend I believe?) looked magnificent (sorry LNER chaps).

Brits to me always looked really 'chunky' and beautifully proportioned, (bit like an A4 in a non streamlined sort of way and Seven of Nine) but what do I know, I'm only a drake. :threaten: :sarcastichand:

Trisonoc - I think there is plenty of scope for 'ambient' background sounds in DCC, especially for a great station set up like this; imagine the wonderful Gresley knock or Dub Dee bongadong gear sounds inside that overall roof.I also think smellovision is just around the corner. However, the person that can invent something that replicates the thunderous exhaust of a departing loco rather than the feeble poofs of even the most expensive smoke generators and maybe the sweet aroma of a Hales Individual Fruit Pie being heated up, is going to be on a winner IMO. Now where's that smoke machine and Baby Belling.......... :whistle:

Quack

What we need now is DCC smellovision....... I'm always trying to explain to kids about the smells and smoke at Liverpool Street Station. A big part of the experience, I think.

Smellovision and her indoors shouting you've tripped the smoke alarm again...... :O 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

JEFFP, I too prefer the 'Witte' smoke deflectors....and the double chimney, especially with a GN tender, and as 60100.  I thought the improvements were exactly that!

I like the Brits, it's just that angle....maybe the bigger tender versions would look better.

edit - 60100 would be one hell of a cop at Peterborough!

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That 41317 must have been on one of the very last trains on that route unless it had 'cheated' and crossed over at St. Budeaux?

Apologies for going off topic here but those pics from The Stationmaster are brilliant; thanks matey.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1