Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

More ideas for shots.

How about a sneaky look inside the shunter's bothy?

Also can we see the hot pants and contents in close up or is that being too sad?

Can you photoshop Haymarket Cross onto the bit beyond that northern Bridge so it looks like New England?

View from the Signal Box?

View from the cab(s)?

WD derailing running tender first!

Driver with knotted handkerchief/beret rather than grease-top.

Inspector on footplate with bowler hat.

Wedding party saying farewell (to some poor s*d that has made a big mistake...........)

Station cat(s)

Spotter eating Hales Individual Fruit Pie and possibly spitting huge mouthful of same across platform as he sees a Scottish A4.

Signalman using flags as there is signal failure.

Porter trying to deal with after effects of someone having ignored the 'not whilst the train is standing at the station' notice.

P Drake @ 36E

N.B. Physiotherapy sessions provided to counteract the result of contortions required to get the camera into many of these positions and treatment available for stress induced by close up of hot pants.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert,

This is my own personal opinion (could be the rebellious side of me) but I think you should have some inaccuracies, it seems to give even the best prototypes some flair. A bit of creativity a bit of artistic license, I mean why not and as for the suggestion any A4 with a smattering of BR mk1 crimson and 'blood and custards' behind it.

P.S. Please don't stone me lol

Jules

It would be Tony Wright who would be on your case Jules, not me. He quickly points out to me things which are wrong, but then he knows far more than the rest of us about matters ECML. What I can't put up with is anything that niggles me. I'm OK with sundry heavy goods locos that wouldn't have been seen much if at all South of New England, or even a nice little 0.6.0 that was withdrawn four years before my period, but I can't stand something that would never have been seen at all.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Great to see this still going, did you manage to make much use of the photo's I took last year GN?

Not yet, but we most definitely shall. The two bridges are at the bottom of the list to be done, but Peter Leyland will find those images very useful when the time comes. I'm thinking of having a go at one or two of those buildings on the street boundary as well, though putting my efforts anywhere near Peter's wonderful work somehow doesn't seem like a very good idea.

• RMweb Premium

A Claud that has arrived in Peterborough with a train of teak liveried MR clerestories and LNWR arc roof coaches off the M&GN line and the station master remonstrating with the driver for running 14 years late.

Lovely thought Larry, but if it is 14 years late it could be even better - An M&GN 4.4.0 at the head of the train. By the way, do you have any spare mountains?

• Like 1

It would be Tony Wright who would be on your case Jules, not me. He quickly points out to me things which are wrong, but then he knows far more than the rest of us about matters ECML. What I can't put up with is anything that niggles me. I'm OK with sundry heavy goods locos that wouldn't have been seen much if at all South of New England, or even a nice little 0.6.0 that was withdrawn four years before my period, but I can't stand something that would never have been seen at all.

I totally agree with you there, not great big inaccuracies that hit you in the face but more like a passenger train or goods  that passed through a couple of times before or after your time period.

Jules

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Putting a little more thought into my reply now...

... I like the style of that shot, it looks as if it was snatched by a VERY surprised enthusiast who was not expecting such a combination when he saw the old girl approaching, and fumbled with his/her Box Brownie to fire off a snap.....

Nice one Gilbert, and thank you.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Inspired!'Failure' has now opened up a whole new can of possibilities uuuuummmmmmm!

Time warp ruse from Coach - really clever idea this; have not laughed so much for weeks at the thought of the SM remonstrating with the bearded driver whilst also prepping his Box Brownie.

Drake at 36E (GN today).

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Right. The Flying Scotsman has been re-engined with something more suitable, and is on its way again, but what is going on now? The signalman in North box, no doubt completely unnerved by all the goings on, has failed to set the road correctly for this WD.

post-98-0-91350000-1358088754_thumb.jpg

I can't resist saying that this is what would happen if I tried to run through that tandem with it set in the wrong direction. :devil:  It also deals with one of Mallard's many requests. No luck with the lady with the hot pants though. The fee she wanted for allowing the photos to be published was ridiculous. Sadly, this chapter of accidents gets even more embarrassing.......

post-98-0-69755400-1358089103_thumb.jpg

As the WD was towing the failed A4 off the Scotsman. There are three deliberate mistakes in this shot by the way.

• Like 15

Heaven forbid that a well-known railway photographer would admit he took a grab shot when he spotted at the last minute two tank locos heading the 'Frying Scotsman'..........

"The lack of sharpness was deliberate for suggesting movement and life while "The N5 and C12, symbolising GCR and GNR coordinately, were interacting with the water crane and gas lamp, and the Gresley coach in the foreground was a magnetbox for this East Coast construction..."

• Like 1

Right. The Flying Scotsman has been re-engined with something more suitable, and is on its way again, but what is going on now? The signalman in North box, no doubt completely unnerved by all the goings on, has failed to set the road correctly for this WD.

attachicon.gifWD and A4 1.jpg

I can't resist saying that this is what would happen if I tried to run through that tandem with it set in the wrong direction. :devil:  It also deals with one of Mallard's many requests. No luck with the lady with the hot pants though. The fee she wanted for allowing the photos to be published was ridiculous. Sadly, this chapter of accidents gets even more embarrassing.......

attachicon.gifWD and A4 2.jpg

As the WD was towing the failed A4 off the Scotsman. There are three deliberate mistakes in this shot by the way.

The WD's  leading pony and driving wheels are still off the rails, it is in forward gear and yet derailed while in reverse, and the A4 has come onto the loco with express headlamps but looks as dead as a Dodo with no exhaust evident on either engine.....

Am I right? - (in 39 Steps voice)

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

I can see a ghostly ladder, a lamp on the A4, the tender derailed in a very weird way at the cab end, the forward on-side WD's driver looks wonky, there is no crew in sight (did they leap clear?) and the forward reverser position, so where's the 3rd? :mail:

P

• RMweb Premium

I can see a ghostly ladder, a lamp on the A4, the tender derailed in a very weird way at the cab end, the forward on-side WD's driver looks wonky, there is no crew in sight (did they leap clear?) and the forward reverser position, so where's the 3rd? :mail:

P

Maybe, but also, it was the Up Flying Scotsman, so why would the WD sent to rescue the A4 have hauled it past New England shed, which would be the logical place to take it to?  The A4 should indeed not be displaying Class A lamps, and I only meant to derail the WD's tender. Reasons? 1. I wanted to show a derailment on that tandem, which I have been falsely accused of setting wrong way several times. 2. Senility :senile: . And the third? Yaxley is South of Peterborough, so if an Up train failed there, it had already gone past PN. :senile: :senile: :senile: :banghead:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

OK, I declare the silly season over, so here are some more shots as requested.

post-98-0-54855500-1358094939_thumb.jpg

I can do the Flying Scotsman, and I can do 60007, but I can't do the SLS special as requested as I don't know the formation, and I don't have, and don't know how to do, the headboard. So, I hope this and the following shots of Sir Nigel will suffice.

post-98-0-56155100-1358095140_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-02419500-1358095187_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-83907700-1358095232_thumb.jpg

Sorry Larry, I can't find any big enough photos of Welsh mountains. :sad_mini2:  And if I could, a Thompson loco hauling one of Sir Nigel's finest? :O :no:  No I could not bring myself to do that.

• Like 17

Gilbert,

I don't want to throw a bucket of cold water on those members wearing gaberdine rain coats and bottle lensed' Cosmo Smallpiece' spectacles not to mention sawn off trouser bottoms which ended just above the knee and a packet of sweets and I'm sure they own some very nice puppies just around the corner. BUT.

All this talk of Hot Pants at Peterborough North in 1958!

Those delightful items did not appear until 1971-72 too late for your period and thankfully they had fallen from fashion before it became mandatory to own an A---se and thighs the size of a small country, we owe so much to the Good 'ol US of A and the sign of the big yellow M.

While I'm in Grumpy Old G--T mode the Railway Coppers of the period are more likely to focus their attention on women sporting tattoos since they must have just come out of or escaped from prison or be 'on the game.'

Stick to Airfix / Dapol RAF service figures and squaddies on National Service.

Spoil-Sport of Ancaster

• Like 5