RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Next train on the Down line is the 1020 KX - Leeds.

post-98-0-60809500-1363696581_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-54147700-1363696628_thumb.jpg

And now, the opportunity of a lifetime. :this: :yes:  For as little as £250,000, you could be one of these boys. Did you have a green school blazer? Think of it, such a small price to pay for immortality as a platform ender at Peterborough North. No cheques though please.

So, which of you faithful followers of the thread might be one of these boys?  Most of them look a bit Grammar school to me, but I could be wrong. Not Tetley's I think, the train fare from Wakefield would put him right off. :jester:

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Nobody got, or everybody ignored more like, my little quip about Persimmon then?

Quack

Too clever for me Phil. I was thinking of a small rather wrinkled and  orange object. The first bit of that description could apply to quite a lot of us, but the orange bit means it could only be Tom Jones. :devil: :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Too clever for me Phil. I was thinking of a small rather wrinkled and  orange object

:secret: see the dudders link; as for small and wrinkled I think I'll leave that alone on this occasion......... :crazy_mini:  :crazy_mini:  :crazy_mini:

As for the spotters, well they look a very civilised bunch and I would be happy to donate a Hales Individual Fruit Pie (worth £250 in today's dosh) to be the one in the green blazer;  :biggrin_mini2: Devonport High School for Boys don't you know...........DHS for Girls - that's another story and not for this little club!

114 would have called at 36E I think as it was a Leeds. These days 36E has a KX York shuttle  as its' regular service after years of Leeds trains stopping there. 34 minutes to YK including a 'station stop', (sorry........I'l go outside immediately), at DN. That is almost quicker than I can walk to work (1.5miles).

OK , wings up anyone that used to sit on one of those trolly things at their station (or somewhere else if visiting)?

Gilbert, I'll donate £100 some money to PN if you can get those spotters to walk up to the driver of 114 and ask to cab the loco, then get in whilst we are watching the short utube clip of them doing just that. 

Quack 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

Gilbert,

If you are having issues with photoshop I suggest getting a portable green screen or even blue screen to go behind the trees / signals, makes life a lot easier as you could then simply replace the colour with a texture or picture.

Jules

Edited by auxie22
  • Like 1

Wing held high - the trollies were always there at Newcastle Central!

they were there in 1969!! I was to young to spot steam at Newcastle Central but did spot the next best thing,big Napier powered beasts.I always liked to catch the Racehorses and my favourite was Meld I was over the moon when I cabbed her.All my steam spotting was at Seaham hence the J27's etc.Funny at that age I always wanted to be at my Nana's at Philadelphia I always and still have a thing for the Lambton tanks.I do remember seeing a couple of East Coast pacifics when we were at Chester-le-Street market and watching an A1 hurtle across the viaduct

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We're from the same mold - Meld was my fave too, and I have also cabbed her.  We probably sat next to each other at the end of platform 9/10.....

Hi Neil

Meld was sired by Alycidon. :rolleyes:  And the real St Paddy out lived the loco named after him by four years. :O

• Like 2

Next train on the Down line is the 1020 KX - Leeds.

attachicon.gifspotters 1.jpg

attachicon.gifspotters 2.jpg

And now, the opportunity of a lifetime. :this: :yes:  For as little as £250,000, you could be one of these boys. Did you have a green school blazer? Think of it, such a small price to pay for immortality as a platform ender at Peterborough North. No cheques though please.

So, which of you faithful followers of the thread might be one of these boys?  Most of them look a bit Grammar school to me, but I could be wrong. Not Tetley's I think, the train fare from Wakefield would put him right off. :jester:

Doncaster was as far as my best mate Martin and I managed although we did spend a day kicking around on Scarborough Beach one summer, our travel distance was very much dictated by how many pop bottles we could find to retun at 3p a shot and no we never did nick the empties from the back of the shop to redeem through the front, Martin's dad was a police sergeant so we were never tempted to stray from the straight and narrow.I recall a return from Kirkgate to Westgate was 1/2p cheaper than a 2p platform ticket and the staff couldn't throw us off the station, a fruitful 'bottle trawling' day might see us get the fare to Leeds which was less than a shilling.(5p new money).Living almost hand to mouth on a Wakefield Council estate certainly gave us life skills to live within a budget in later life, very happy days and a great childhood.

Keep those memories coming Gilbert (Now you know why I always check your pantry for empty pop bottles when i visit P.North)

Shylock Shakespeare

• Like 4

I photographed 'Alycidon' when new entering York in 1961. With only 8 pics on a 120 roll, one thought twice before pressing the shutter but I didn't know what it was and so fired! The very last 'Deltic' I saw and photographed was 'Alycidon'!  This time it was well away from the East Coast climbing through Greenfield on a L'pool-York days before withdrawal.

• Like 1

This afternoon's attempt at photography was foiled by the leaden grey skies, yet again. How long can this winter drag on?

A bit of trespass on the railway needed here, but its only for a minute, honest. After the A3 has cleared the section the DMU in Platform 4 will depart for Louth, jewel of the Wolds.

Will we one day see the delights of the Derby Heavyweights working these East Lincs services on Peterborough North?

Great pics

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

These photos just look so real, I think you have taken modelling to a completely new level

May I ask is the A2/2 a kit or one of Tims conversion's.

Regards

David.

I think it is Norman's track and Peter's buildings that should take most of the credit David, but thanks very much for that. The A2/2 is indeed Tim's work, and definitely the best of my three, in all respects. I'll do some comparison shots when I remember.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Will we one day see the delights of the Derby Heavyweights working these East Lincs services on Peterborough North?

Great pics

Simon

I would like that too Simon,having grown up in Lincoln I saw a lot of them, and travelled on a fair few as well, but the trouble is that the list of other things which are needed is very long, and some of it will have to take precedence. Could be a job for Tim eventually though I suppose, but I have just realised that I need a lot more non passenger carrying stock, and soon.

• Like 2

Many thanks to Peter Leyland ( Gravy Train), for making the 200+ mile round trip yesterday to deliver more goodies and advance things a bit further, despite the horrible conditions. We are concentrating on the forecourt area at the moment, and here are a few shots to show progress. Bear in mind though please that this is still work in progress, so gaps under some buildings, final road surfaces etc still have to be dealt with. Some weeks a lot gets done but there is visually very little to show for it, but this was one of those occasions when things suddenly really came to life.

attachicon.gifyesterday forecourt 1.jpg

All that has been added here is a section of wall and a low relief building, but it really ties the whole scene together very nicely.

attachicon.gifyesterday forecourt 2.jpg

In front of that length of wall there will be a couple of lean to buildings. We know they were there, but can't find any good photos, so Peter will be building something we think appropriate.

attachicon.gifyesterday forecourt 3 JPG.jpg

Hotel garden wall completed and weathered, then plastered with advertising hoardings as the real thing was.

Hmm brilliant shots - what atmosphere!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Guess who just hit the wrong button? We shall continue....

post-98-0-27901900-1364208890_thumb.jpg

Ground level view of the far end of the forecourt.

post-98-0-59035500-1364208952_thumb.jpg

And one looking from that end. An extension of Crescent Bridge across the back would be a good idea, but there are problems....

post-98-0-80781500-1364209061_thumb.jpg

And finally a view looking down from Crescent Bridge, trees having been hastily replanted. I must say I'm delighted with the way this area is turning out. And now for something completely different.

post-98-0-74817200-1364209235_thumb.jpg

While negotiating the maze that was the Nottingham exhibition I did manage to bump into Jonathan Weallans, who very kindly presented me with some dangly bits, and a little parcel which turned out to contain a loco crew. :imsohappy: It has taken me a week to put them where they belong, but here they are manning the otherwise very bare looking footplate of a J6. I suspect Jonathan might prefer to be driving this rather than a Pacific. I hope I'm right, but in any event thanks for a very nice and generous surprise. No photos of the dangly bits yet, as I have to find suitable vehicles from which they may dangle, and then try to put them in the right place. :blush_mini:

Last one for now shows my first effort at a cassette. I will admit that this was a bit rushed, as standing in a very cold garage was not my idea of fun, but I really wanted just to do a feasibility assessment, and it is OK for that purpose. At least nothing can fall out of there, and although it is only made from 6mm MDF it is both light and sturdy. I'm still undecided whether this way or aluminium angle is the best option, so i think I may do one of those too and compare them.

post-98-0-12506600-1364209903_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Splendid stuff from down there in the frozen suburbs of NTM. I really like the station/Hotel and area. It must be fascinating seeing that 'come to life' and then being able to remember actually being there in the 'real world'. Mr Leyland certainly has produced the goods and Gilbert you are too modest re your own skills mate; excellent bit of cassette creating.

Quack (oh b****cks, my ar*e is stuck in the Idle ice................)

Edited by Mallard60022

Gilbert,

The cassette looks fine and once the cold weather turns a bit milder we will have no trouble 'mass producing' a few more at Ancaster 'Plant'. Air brad nailer, glue and clamps only required.

Dave

• Like 1