Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for the comments about favourite views. The only surprise was that no-one mentioned the one from Spital Bridge, which always seems to be very popular when I take things from there.

Another poll now. Some time back, we looked at country junction stations in the North East, to the East of the ECML. Now we are going West from there across the Dales and the Pennines, and as far as the WCML. This should bring in to play quite a lot of well known locations, says he hopefully.

14 hours ago, great northern said:

It is certainly different. As a pure record shot, what do you think?

Gilbert

Nice as a record shot. i always wondered what was the other side of that wall. As I remember, though, at that point the parapet wall was at least 10 to 12 feet high. The road sloped quite steeply down that side of Spittal Bridge, and though the top of the parapet may have been level (I can't remember), the height from path level would increase quite quickly.

Of course, the danger is that one's scale varies as you grow taller, and what appeared very tall or large at age 7, appears much smaller as an adult. I do remember that the parapet over the bridge itself was quite high all the way along, and the only spot for watching the trains was at the fence at the back of the footpath just before the parapet started, on the Midland side.

Re favorite shots, I agree with all comments that I have read to far. Everything is excellent, though as said before, the unrealistic curves South of Crescent Bridge mean that some shots at that end are only very good.

Thanks again for all the pleasure you give us.

Lloyd

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Many thanks for the comments about favourite views. The only surprise was that no-one mentioned the one from Spital Bridge, which always seems to be very popular when I take things from there.

Another poll now. Some time back, we looked at country junction stations in the North East, to the East of the ECML. Now we are going West from there across the Dales and the Pennines, and as far as the WCML. This should bring in to play quite a lot of well known locations, says he hopefully.

Gilbert

First on my list, and my favorite, was views from Spital Bridge.

Re this poll, Clarification required. I assume the Northern limit is the Scottish border. What is the Southern limit, and are East and west limits inclusive or exclusive?

Lloyd

55 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Seeing as Graham hasn't made an appearance yet I'll get in first with Garsdale.

Well, given that it has already won once, I'm going for one that was previously disqualified, hoping this time it fits the criteria:

Reedsmouth Junction.

It's a country junction station, in the north of England, twixt ECML and WCML. It's north of the Dales but can still claim 'Pennines', or at least where Pennines gives way to the Cheviots. More info at this ever excellent site:

http://disused-stations.org.uk/r/reedsmouth/index.shtml

Does it qualify this time, Mr Arbiter?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Am I allowed the real as in the MR Clapham Junction this time.

I would have voted for Garsdale but as we've already had that I'll go with Clive and Clapham 'oop north'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great northern said:

Gilbert,

I like the view from the bridge of trains departing northbound snaking out of the down main platform showing plenty of carriages. If that’s what you mean by view from Spittal Bridge then count me in. I was going to say so yesterday but I couldn’t remember which bridge was which - sorry for my ignorance!

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Well, given that it has already won once, I'm going for one that was previously disqualified, hoping this time it fits the criteria:

Reedsmouth Junction.

It's a country junction station, in the north of England, twixt ECML and WCML. It's north of the Dales but can still claim 'Pennines', or at least where Pennines gives way to the Cheviots. More info at this ever excellent site:

http://disused-stations.org.uk/r/reedsmouth/index.shtml

Does it qualify this time, Mr Arbiter?

Well, this is partly my fault for not being more precise, but I'm afraid you are anticipating again Graham. Looking at a map, which I should have done in the first place, the Newcastle-Carlisle line is a clear boundary. That means Hexham is in, but Reedsmouth sadly isn't. It's time will come though, don't worry.

• Informative/Useful 1