Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see the layout in the latest issue of BRM and I’m astounded by the wealth of detail that’s lovingly applied.  In my experience, some great layouts have been spoiled by the large volumes of “clutter”.

I have one question, you’ve set the layout in 1959 (a great year, the year I arrived in this world), but if you wanted to move the timeframe into the 60’s or possibly 70’s, which year would you go for before any noticeable changes took place?

Great layout, keep up the good work.

• RMweb Premium

Our first draw for some time. Kimbolton 4 Alnwick 4. I don't know about Kimbolton, but Alnwick is definitely a proper castle. Though I live almost within sight of it, I'm not sure Belvoir is. Very nice indeed, but not really a castle.

We are back up to Scotland today, and will consider the best name of a locomotive whose name contains the word Loch.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Nice to see the layout in the latest issue of BRM and I’m astounded by the wealth of detail that’s lovingly applied.  In my experience, some great layouts have been spoiled by the large volumes of “clutter”.

I have one question, you’ve set the layout in 1959 (a great year, the year I arrived in this world), but if you wanted to move the timeframe into the 60’s or possibly 70’s, which year would you go for before any noticeable changes took place?

Great layout, keep up the good work.

The layout is actually set in 1958, for very specific reasons. I had several classes of loco that I had to include, and they all had to have been legitimately seen at the same place regularly during a specific period.  They are B17 C12 D16. All were gone by 1960, so that would be a cut off point for me. The last C12 went in late 58 though, so it should really be then. I also wanted to include the services on the old M&GN, and that closed at the end of February 59, so I tend to allow anything up to then, which gives precisely one week for Deltic to be permissible.

Anything later than that brings in more diesels, including DMUs that took over a lot of the locals that I can run with lovely locos like B12s, in addition to the B17s and D16s. Also, more bits dropped off the overall roof, and that is very noticeable. So, summer of 58, with the occasional incursion into early 59 is my limit.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Assuming that "Steam" is implicit in the standing rules of the poll, I'll ignore the various Class 37 (EE Type 3) diesels named after lochs (though most of the names had previously been used on steam locos to be fair).  

I'll vote for K2/2 61772 Loch Lochy - what better word to describe a loch than lochy?  

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, great northern said:

The layout is actually set in 1958, for very specific reasons. I had several classes of loco that I had to include, and they all had to have been legitimately seen at the same place regularly during a specific period.  They are B17 C12 D16. All were gone by 1960, so that would be a cut off point for me. The last C12 went in late 58 though, so it should really be then. I also wanted to include the services on the old M&GN, and that closed at the end of February 59, so I tend to allow anything up to then, which gives precisely one week for Deltic to be permissible.

Anything later than that brings in more diesels, including DMUs that took over a lot of the locals that I can run with lovely locos like B12s, in addition to the B17s and D16s. Also, more bits dropped off the overall roof, and that is very noticeable. So, summer of 58, with the occasional incursion into early 59 is my limit.

Perfectly understood about the date and the reasons for keeping within it but I was actually talking about the track plan and station buildings.  Did it change much during the 60’s apart from station signs and advertisements etc?

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Perfectly understood about the date and the reasons for keeping within it but I was actually talking about the track plan and station buildings.  Did it change much during the 60’s apart from station signs and advertisements etc?

It just gradually crumbled while the powers that be decided how it was going to be remodelled. The overall roof was removed as the 60s progressed, before it could collapse of its own accord, but the really major work of realignment and a lot of demolition finally reached a conclusion in June 1972.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I ain't got a clue about which loco called Loch something I would or could go for.

I do however remember a teacher trying to correct a classmate of mine in how to pronounce "Loch".  "It is not lock but Loc....." and with that his false teeth shot half way down the class room.

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

7 hours ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

I'll vote for K2/2 61772 Loch Lochy - what better word to describe a loch than lochy?  

I will go with that too - so another vote here for Loch Lochy.

Like you, it's just a great name but it does now mean a bit more to me now that I've sailed through it on the way from Inverness to Fort William.

• RMweb Premium

Not so well up on our Lochs. Only 8 votes, 3 of which were for the winner, Loch Rannoch.

I'm starting to run out of ideas now. Today we will do Halls. Not region specific, any old Hall will do.

Any more suggestions folks? If not, this will be about the end of it, I think.

• RMweb Gold

Ragley Hall, because the owner, Marquis of Hertford, showed us (Deb and a party of travel journos she had organised, with me as hanger-on) around it one very cold day in late 1981. The tour was interrupted at one point when we heard rushing water inside panelling - burst pipe in the freeze. 

• Round of applause 1

24 minutes ago, great northern said:

I'm starting to run out of ideas now. Today we will do Halls. Not region specific, any old Hall will do.

Any more suggestions folks? If not, this will be about the end of it, I think.

That's Hall, folks!

Yes, always best to leave something just before you've had enough of it. We could always just enjoy seeing the trains for a while? And then we could move on to 'great signal gantries I have known and loved'...

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2