Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Gilbert,

Shouldn't the extreme left board in your picture be 'off' as well?

Regards,

Tony. 

I did actually give some thought to that, Tony. My conclusion was that as the WD was signalled into New England coal road, which the driver would be expecting to happen, that board would remain on, as it referred to the main. I may of course be completely wrong, and if some kind person with the appropriate expert knowledge could clarify, I would be most grateful.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

You may note my earlier post, regarding J27's/P3, in which I mentioned the superheated piston valve ones were Raven locomotives..... :smoke:

Yes but no but Neil. Wasn't that just an amendment to the original design? I may be tiptoeing into a minefield here.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Part of me says I should be voting for the 0-6-0Ts that became the J65 - J69 series of shunting and passenger tank locos. Then there are the J16 0-60s that were good coal haulers on the joint line.

However, my vote goes to the best of the locos introduced in James Holden's time, the 4-4-0 D56 "Belpaire" Clauds (LNER D15) that became the one of the most elegant top flight passenger locos of the time. 

Should the D15 vote be declared invalid - on the grounds of mainly being the work of the Stratford Chief Draughtsman FV Russell - I would vote for what is arguably the prettiest of J Holden's locos, the T26 (LNER E4) class 2-4-0.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 2

I've always had a soft spot for the P43 locos, a batch of just ten locos built for express passenger work so just to be different that gets my vote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GER_Class_P43

Also considered were the T26 (E4) and its tank equivalent the C32 (F3) both of which I would love to build for my layout. To be honest it is a really difficult choice. D15s obviously too.

Martyn

4 hours ago, great northern said:

I did actually give some thought to that, Tony. My conclusion was that as the WD was signalled into New England coal road, which the driver would be expecting to happen, that board would remain on, as it referred to the main. I may of course be completely wrong, and if some kind person with the appropriate expert knowledge could clarify, I would be most grateful.

I think it would be 'off', Gilbert. Because, in order to reach the spitting signal, it would have to pass it. The Austerity is still on the main. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I have three contenders, the early Claud 4-4-0s, the E4 2-4-0s and the J65-69 series of 0-6-0 tank engine.  

For me, the best-looking versions of the Clauds and the best performing were those rebuilt under the Gresley/Thompson regime so I for the purposes of the poll, I am afraid they have to go.

The E4 2-4-0s were a very versatile and long-lived class, some lasting more than 60 years, and the last 2-4-0s to remain in BR service.  The J65-69 tank engines were also very versatile, performing well on a range of duties from shunting to the Liverpool Street suburban service.  They were also long-lived with examples lasting over 60 years.  However, they were probably more widely dispersed across the LNER network (I have a 3D printed example numbered 7365 which spent some time at Hitchin).  For that reason, they form my nomination.

• RMweb Premium

Looks like a tie between the J65-69 tanks, lovely little things, and the P43, which I am ashamed to say I am not familiar with at all.

Staying in the 19th century, what was the most successful loco designed by Samuel Johnson of the Midland Railway?

7 hours ago, great northern said:

Staying in the 19th century, what was the most successful loco designed by Samuel Johnson of the Midland Railway?

Ah, well ... now that rather depends whether you credit the Midland's famous 3-cyl Compound 4-4-0s to Johnson or his successor Mr Deeley.

Five locomotives that used the compound principle, Nos 2631-2635 were indeed constructed under the auspices of Mr Johnson in 1902. However, what we generally refer to as the Midland/LMS 'Compound' was a Deeley design of 1905, an enlarged and simplified version. The five original Johnson locos were rebuilt into the Deeley configuration (including the now preserved No.1000).

If this counts as a Johnson loco then it gets my vote, given that the type eventually ran to 245 examples in service (including the very similar LMS version), easily the most successful UK application of the Compound principle.

Edited by LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

Gotta be the humble class 2 goods locomotive, many were rebuilt to class 3 with H boilers and later many received G6 (2F) or G7 (3F) boilers. Some remained as built, the only change was a Deeley style smokebox. 

The various 4-4-0s and 4-2-2s were very lovely looking locos but for longevity and usefulness, the class 2 0-6-0.

• RMweb Premium

Poor Samuel attracted almost no attention at all, and some of what there was just got complicated. Or perhaps you are just tired of polls?

I shall persevere, and ask you to identify the most succesful design of Mr Maunsell.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it has to be class V, the Schools. They had a comparatively short career, though, not much more than 30 years, simply because their stamping grounds disappeared, with the SE Division dispensing with steam by 1962, and releasing more modern power for use elsewhere on the Region. 

• Agree 1