Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Sun Castle now simmering away. A rather inappropriate name for a loco in such a state, but that's how it was in August 58. We have the photograph to prove it.

531207832_85152.JPG.1ac64e560657bf641eb603e2636b5507.JPG

It was getting close to being called in for a general overhaul, but sadly York could let their engines get into this state long before that.

I think you mean Sun Stream. I think Sun Castle was actually quite smart at this time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Two contenders for the poll, but Didcot Newbury and Southampton was well clear with 9 votes. I think I have a malfunction. Following my sustitution of Castle for Stream, I just very nearly typed Southend instead of Southampton.:scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Staying around the Midlands, Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Goucestershire and Herefordshire today.

17 minutes ago, great northern said:

To celebrate we have quite an appropriate picture, a very celebrated A4 with one of the best known trains there is. Silver Link brings through the Flying Scotsman.

No doubt with Ted Hailstone on the handle. He's so excited at celebrating your excellent milestone that one of the front lamps has gone all of a wobble ...

(Go on - you were waiting for someone to spot that)

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

No doubt with Ted Hailstone on the handle. He's so excited at celebrating your excellent milestone that one of the front lamps has gone all of a wobble ...

True, but that's why I have my response ready. It were the vibration caused by coming down Stoke bank at 95mph wot done it. And possibly my eyesight as well.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I think the Greeks had a word for this - hubris. 2 million views and then you discover who your friends are. 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I think the Greeks had a word for this - hubris. 2 million views and then you discover who your friends are. 

Ah, but Graham has an exemption susstifficut, you see. It lasts at least until he delivers my lovely signals.

• Funny 1

25 minutes ago, great northern said:

Ah, but Graham has an exemption susstifficut, you see. It lasts at least until he delivers my lovely signals.

... which - most appropriately - have just had their spectacle plates fitted (despite not quite firing on four cylinders today, following me jab yesterday)

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Cheltenham to Stratford won. But why did I pick something that had already been done? Right, I have googled a map of english counties, and found three which I'm sure we haven't done.  Kent, Sussex and Surrey today then.

• RMweb Premium

I'd like to nominate a little network serving what is now commuterland - Three Bridges - Tunbridge Wells; Uckfield - Lewes; and Eridge - Polegate.

If I'm only allowed one, then it will be Uckfield - Lewes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A late 20th Century closure (by which time the area had been subsumed by Greater London), I don't think that the Elmers End - Sanderstead link was ever used to its full potential.  Whilst the subsequent use of part of the line in the Croydon Tramlink  scheme are useful for ferrying people in and out of Croydon, the link provided a useful diversionary route, especially when linked further south with the Uckfield - Lewes suggestion from @St Enodoc

• Like 1

Another vote for Three Bridges to Tunbridge Wells via East Grinstead. Whilst closure may have been inevitable back then, the traffic between these 3 places at all times of day, not just the traditional busy hours, demonstrates how useful this route would be today.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1