Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

C11 was about to become a double poll winner, but then J37 came up fast on the rails, and won 6-5. A difficult one really, as the J37 would win on length of service, but an Atlantic was always going to be withdrawn earlier as technical progress marched on. Did it make more of an impact in its shorter working life?

Today we shall look for the most successful passenger locomotive class designed by Mr Robinson of the GCR.

I think, against your criteria of 'successful', it has to be the D11 'Director'.

Robinson and the GCR weren't the only pre-grouping company to be struck by this strange blight of indifferent 4-6-0s that were outperformed by 4-4-0s. I guess the 4-4-0 genre was well-known / developed by the turn of the century and it took some time to 'crack' the 4-6-0 'code'? In the case of the D11, by all accounts it could generally do anything asked of the B2 and B3 types.

• RMweb Premium

A bit of a toss-up between the very capable GCR class 9N (LNER - A5) 4-6-2Ts and the later GCR class 11F (LNER - D11) 4-4-0 "Improved Directors". Both were superb machines and had long lives doing their respective jobs very well.

On balance the LNER D11 "Improved Directors" just nudges ahead and gets my vote - but it is a close call.

Regards

Chris H

4 hours ago, great northern said:

Today we shall look for the most successful passenger locomotive class designed by Mr Robinson of the GCR.

I think the profile name gives my vote here ;)

But yes, the A5 for me. Strictly, the A5/1.

55 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

But the set question was ".........the most successful passenger locomotive class designed by Mr Robinson of the GCR"!

Regards

Chris H

Oh dear. Not been able to respond to this thread for the last couple of months, and then first time I do respond, I put my foot in it!

In that case I will stick with the Directors for this one.

Thanks for keeping me right - I need it.

Lloyd

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, FarrMan said:

Oh dear. Not been able to respond to this thread for the last couple of months, and then first time I do respond, I put my foot in it!

In that case I will stick with the Directors for this one.

Thanks for keeping me right - I need it.

Lloyd

I nearly rushed into that in excitement pal, so it isn't just you.

I don't know what a director is so I'm noit voting but the 04 will do me when that comes around. Retford was 04 land.

Edited by Mallard60022