Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
On 15/02/2024 at 18:25, great northern said:

and of course at least one regular visitor will be happy to see it.

Indeed he is, thank you Gilbert.

Nice photos this week, the 'early' drone is doing a great job.  Maybe it's seagull powered or something.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Indeed he is, thank you Gilbert.

Nice photos this week, the 'early' drone is doing a great job.  Maybe it's seagull powered or something.

I hope not Neil, things could get very messy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Another Pacific on menial duties, this being the 5.00pm from KX. As usual though, Silver Fox will be doing something befitting its status next time.

Correct me if I’m wrong (I’m a bit rusty these days), but this was a fair sized train from KX, splitting at Hitchin. So the pacific power would be justified for the first half of the journey. The other similar train got a pair of B1s I think.

Andy

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Correct me if I’m wrong (I’m a bit rusty these days), but this was a fair sized train from KX, splitting at Hitchin. So the pacific power would be justified for the first half of the journey. The other similar train got a pair of B1s I think.

Andy

I blinked a bit when the tablet told me the loco was 34A 7, which tiurned out to be an A4, but I didn't have time to go and check further. I have now, and it is a mistake on the sequence slide, down to me. There is one photo I've seen, I think in Book of the GN part 1, of an A4 piloted by a B1, but no explanation given. If this was the 5pm, I would think that the B1 would have come off at Hitchin, leaving the A4 to carry on to PN, after which it would back on to the Cambridge portion. Even so, it would a very rare occurence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, great northern said:

My guest today was Geoff West, but he didn't get to see many trains run, as we got side tracked into venting our feelings about modern technology, and I kept being distracted by the car sale saga. What trains I did try to run, perhaps predictably, did not behave.

Here's the K3 grinding to a halt at the signal.

3a1978.JPG.648e3b6f32398b2786a9264cf24aeefb.JPG

and another angle on the Claud, just as graceful from the rear.

42529rear.JPG.2dd20714a27f991003b85f4c6565abb4.JPG

Thanks Gilbert, for a most enjoyable day.

We did vent quite a bit, but justifiably so.

Hope the car sale goes well tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/02/2024 at 21:47, New Haven Neil said:

Clauds are just 'right'.

I entirely agree Neil, though I prefer them in this form rather than as they were originally built. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though, isn't it? I believe there are some people who actually like the look of pannier tanks.😇

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Gilbert,

Though the D16s tended to work more on the eastern section of the old M&GNR system, there is evidence that the class occasionally worked westwards as well. 

In one of my books, there a picture of No. 2573 in post-War days leaving Bourne heading a westbound express. 

This 'evidence' was enough for me, so I built 62573 to represent the loco under BR ownership.

Though I never saw any D16, I thought it fitted well on the MR/M&GNR bit of Little Bytham............

D1636257301.jpg.276820a391bc3bd853896140cee154ac.jpg

Heading towards Saxby, before I added the front numberplate.

D1636257303.jpg.c0c817b66a8abf4f29bc2d9b861271a8.jpg

And again, after I'd fitted its front 'plate (from Ian Wilson's Pacific Models range).

D1636257302.jpg.f381773b4ab15dad9398828f71fcd359.jpg

On the way back it must have got dirty (courtesy of Geoff Haynes, who weathered it for me after I'd painted it).

Built from a Mallard/Blacksmith etched kit, I wanted one still retaining the decorative valances. I wonder whether Hornby will ever make this variant? 

I don't have the slightest problem with the notion of running whatever you want; after all, PN is your model railway. 

I take it you had a good day with Westy?

Regards,

Tony. 

I have discovered over time that if one insists on wearing a straitjacket, it is a good idea not to make it too tight a fit.

I understand there would be quite a lot of retooling to be done to create the valanced version, so considering the self inflicted problem Hornby gave themselves by flooding the market with these, I doubt it will happen.

Geoff and I did have a good day, though quite a bit of it was taken up in agreeing our frustrations with the modern world, and his, poor chap, with the added frustration of still being no closer to being able to build the ECML layout of his dreams.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

That shot of No.7 is a cracker Gilbert!  Everything around the clutter, the view of the bridge in the background, the looming visage of the hotel, it all just fits.  A real tribute to your PN vision and all of the wonderful modelling that has got it to that stage.  Shots like these are what makes PN my first thread to visit each time I log on to RMWeb.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, great northern said:

suitable figures seem very hard to find

Have you looked at ModelU's range of figures?  Even at 1:76 scale, they have recognizable features, superior to white-metal cast people.

We took advantage of their scanning service to obtain figures of friends in their West Somerset Railway working outfits.

You could have Clive driving a bus over the bridge!

Edited by Podhunter
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Podhunter said:

You could have Clive driving a bus over the bridge!

What a great idea, although are you suggesting that he drives the bus over the bridge and down to the ECML? I hope not...

Kind regards,

• Agree 1