Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, great northern said:

Alas the fog did not clear until too late. Nevertheless, more images have been shopped. Here's a closer, and in my opinion less successful, view of the two B1s.

14sametwo.JPG.7656f5198df671b75f095947e8f73fc4.JPG

I wonder if the shot were cropped to exclude the roads to the right of the platform, and the full tender of the left loco were included, it might be more satisfying?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I wonder if the shot were cropped to exclude the roads to the right of the platform, and the full tender of the left loco were included, it might be more satisfying?

You may be right Ian, but I find that I can only crop smaller now, so I can't get the full tender in to be sure.

• Friendly/supportive 1

I too have photos of Siphons on the M&GN.

Is that A Bachmann Thompson full brake, I have one in blue and am not sure how good a model it is? Mine is in BR blue so might be worth revamping?

Martyn

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mullie said:

Is that A Bachmann Thompson full brake, I have one in blue and am not sure how good a model it is? Mine is in BR blue so might be worth revamping?

Martyn

No, its a kit built one that Steve @31A built for me a few months ago. Definitely superior to the Bachmann one.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mullie said:

Martyn

11 minutes ago, great northern said:

No, its a kit built one that Steve @31A built for me a few months ago. Definitely superior to the Bachmann one.

In fact not a Thompson one but a steel panelled Gresley type BG - note for example the domed roof ends.  Another difference is that there is a Guard's ducket, but it is on the side which isn't visible in the picture.

Bachmann are actually bringing out a completely retooled Thompson BG which will no doubt be streets ahead of the current, dated, model.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 31A said:

In fact not a Thompson one but a steel panelled Gresley type BG - note for example the domed roof ends.  Another difference is that there is a Guard's ducket, but it is on the side which isn't visible in the picture.

Bachmann are actually bringing out a completely retooled Thompson BG which will no doubt be streets ahead of the current, dated, model.

Memo to self. Try looking at the image, rather than relying on memory. I think Steve does have a Thompson BG on the to do list, or have I got that wrong too?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

And I need to go on an LNER BG recognition course. 

Thinking @31As superb modelling was a Bachmann model. I've put myself in detention,  my mum will be phoned and I will write 100 lines!

Martyn

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

7 hours ago, mullie said:

Thinking @31As superb modelling was a Bachmann model. I've put myself in detention,  my mum will be phoned and I will write 100 lines!

Martyn

G'Day mullie,

I'll join you, I thought it was a Thompson  BG as well.

manna

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, mullie said:

Martyn

5 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day mullie,

I'll join you, I thought it was a Thompson  BG as well.

manna

In mitigation, and I did plenty of mitigation speeches in my time, I think what threw all of us was that this is a steel panelled vehicle to Dia 198, the exception to the general rule that Gresley BGs were teak sided, whereas Thompsons were steel. So good are my mitigating powers, we may all now take off our hair shirts, but we are on a conditional discharge.

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 6

6 hours ago, great northern said:

In mitigation, and I did plenty of mitigation speeches in my time, I think what threw all of us was that this is a steel panelled vehicle to Dia 198, the exception to the general rule that Gresley BGs were teak sided, whereas Thompsons were steel. So good are my mitigating powers, we may all now take off our hair shirts, but we are on a conditional discharge.

Good evening Gilbert,

Not all Thompson BGs were steel - some built during the War had deal matchboard sides.....

03emptystock61812.jpg.262bc51fc8c7ec711f3aaaf42baae29f.jpg

I built this one (the leading vehicle) from a Mailcoach kit.

CometThompsonBG.jpg.87ef6fbcc693a416374cb18409484e08.jpg

Comet makes an excellent etched brass kit for the Thompson steel BG. 

HornbySRGBLLuggageVan01.jpg.237e2e37d50bb579ede8193285bae1a3.jpg

Have you thought of having one of these? Hornby's brilliant SR GBL luggage van.

HornbySRbogievanweathered01.jpg.d98efc1db43d6f7e72fc26791a01f523.jpg

I detailed/weathered mine (behind is my ancient Hornby/Roxey one).

09Doncaster-NewEnglandfastfreight60513.jpg.6b3324a3898254c8c2ba5f8eddf1b18d.jpg

And put it into one of my express freights (the fourth vehicle), only to be told by one commentator that such vans never left the Southern Region. 

SRgangwayedbogieBG.jpg.2c9edd9810ff2ef8f4f4aacb3575688d.jpg

Really? 

To be parked at Retford, it surely must have gone through PN? 

Please (all) observe copyright restrictions on the above image.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 4