Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Gilbert,

Not all Thompson BGs were steel - some built during the War had deal matchboard sides.....

03emptystock61812.jpg.262bc51fc8c7ec711f3aaaf42baae29f.jpg

I built this one (the leading vehicle) from a Mailcoach kit.

CometThompsonBG.jpg.87ef6fbcc693a416374cb18409484e08.jpg

Comet makes an excellent etched brass kit for the Thompson steel BG. 

HornbySRGBLLuggageVan01.jpg.237e2e37d50bb579ede8193285bae1a3.jpg

Have you thought of having one of these? Hornby's brilliant SR GBL luggage van.

HornbySRbogievanweathered01.jpg.d98efc1db43d6f7e72fc26791a01f523.jpg

I detailed/weathered mine (behind is my ancient Hornby/Roxey one).

09Doncaster-NewEnglandfastfreight60513.jpg.6b3324a3898254c8c2ba5f8eddf1b18d.jpg

And put it into one of my express freights (the fourth vehicle), only to be told by one commentator that such vans never left the Southern Region. 

SRgangwayedbogieBG.jpg.2c9edd9810ff2ef8f4f4aacb3575688d.jpg

Really? 

To be parked at Retford, it surely must have gone through PN? 

Please (all) observe copyright restrictions on the above image.

Regards,

Tony. 

I didn't think about the matchboard Thompsons Tony, but one of those wouldn't have caused confusion, would it?  As to the Southern van, I'm sure I have one, and I remember weathering it, but I can't find it at the moment. I'll have a closer look tomorrow. I know from the HMRS survey that Southern vans were not at all uncommon, but they seem to have been mainly attached to the KX-PN stopping trains.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Hornby's brilliant SR GBL luggage van. And put it into one of my express freights (the fourth vehicle), only to be told by one commentator that such vans never left the Southern Region. 

Really? 

My understanding (for what it's worth) was the such vehicles stayed largely parochial in the early BR period (as did ex-GWR types?), but as the 1950s wore on - and certainly by the 1960s - they became much more common user and were seen over the length and breadth of the country. I've seen (1960s) picture of them at Aberdeen, marshalled into fish trains (were their floors strengthened or were they suitably strong anyway? Anti-corrosive coverings?)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 08/03/2024 at 05:12, 31A said:

Bachmann are actually bringing out a completely retooled Thompson BG which will no doubt be streets ahead of the current, dated, model.

They've arrived apparently as I've just received an email from Bachmann announcing that.

Andrew

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

They've arrived apparently as I've just received an email from Bachmann announcing that.

Andrew

Thanks for the heads up Andrew, I'll expect a call from Monk Bar Models sometime soon then!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Framlingham again. I never saw the loco, but was very impressed with the castle when we went on a family holiday to Southwold in my early teens. Proper castle, that. Mind you, we hadn't been to North Wales at that time. Here's 61603 coming in...

and then coming off.

41603off.JPG.b62ffcd9ad39ab9ce039864778775f30.JPG

Coming off to go to Spital Bridge locomotive shed for coal, water and turning.

A bay window at the Spital Bridge end of the layout room and you could cram in the essential parts of the shed. A few Black fives and 8Fs for the sidings, job done.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Coming off to go to Spital Bridge locomotive shed for coal, water and turning.

A bay window at the Spital Bridge end of the layout room and you could cram in the essential parts of the shed. A few Black fives and 8Fs for the sidings, job done.

Nice try Clive. Actually, it is on its way to New England, but apart from that it would be a good idea, provided I didn't live in a conservation area, had enough spare cash, and we could figure out a way to get up to build it, as it is directly above the pond.

Seriously, I wish it could be included, as it would mean I could have some locos which are otherwise always just off scene.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 08/03/2024 at 19:38, LNER4479 said:

My understanding (for what it's worth) was the such vehicles stayed largely parochial in the early BR period (as did ex-GWR types?), but as the 1950s wore on - and certainly by the 1960s - they became much more common user and were seen over the length and breadth of the country. I've seen (1960s) picture of them at Aberdeen, marshalled into fish trains (were their floors strengthened or were they suitably strong anyway? Anti-corrosive coverings?)

On 08/03/2024 at 19:45, jwealleans said:

The 4 wheel ones were obviously very popular as they're all over the place (certainly in East Anglia) by very early in the 1950s.

I couldn't resist further investigation. With help from Steve and Clive I have established that during the HMRS survey between 4th and 10th July 1958, the following were recorded:-

2 Bogie brake vans.  1 2 axle brake.  At least 9 PMVs. All were in either KX-Peterborough or KX-Grantham stopping trains, a couple of which had one on every day seen. As Jonathan says, the four wheel PMVs seem to have been very common sights on the Eastern in the 50s. There may, of course, have been others in either parcels trains or in other local services. I have a photo of an Immingham B1 with Class B lamp shunting a PMV at PN, so probably an E. LIncs train, and I know I've seen plenty of others.

Edited by great northern
spelling
  • Informative/Useful 8

This is such a perfect image, composition, lighting, depth and so on - what a joy!

Never mind restricted light photographs, so reminiscent of those days of my youth by the level crossing  at Offord!

Anthony

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/03/2024 at 19:45, jwealleans said:

The 4 wheel ones were obviously very popular as they're all over the place (certainly in East Anglia) by very early in the 1950s.

My current favourite in this regard is a June 1950 view of a South Manchester transfer freight with a 3F 0-6-0 pulling 3 LNER sleeper wagons, an LNER pipe wagon, 2 LMS 10ft wb vans, 2 SR 4 wheel PLVs/PMVs, an NER BZ, and a long string of opens/minerals bringing up the rear.

Regards,

Simon

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, great northern said:

Possible sunny periods are apparently no longer possible. If this carries on I shall have to resort to artificial light. In fact I shall definitely have to, as there are only two images left. Here's 60016 again, my favourite panorama from under the bridge.

1516far.JPG.ac2d3015e6a534b30937fce3c1bfcf54.JPG

Any photo showing the underside of Crescent Bridge is a winner for me.

• Agree 2