Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Podhunter said:

Have you looked at ModelU's range of figures?  Even at 1:76 scale, they have recognizable features, superior to white-metal cast people.

We took advantage of their scanning service to obtain figures of friends in their West Somerset Railway working outfits.

You could have Clive driving a bus over the bridge!

I have tried them but I wasn't convinced by the leaning poses that a lot of them have, and they didn't quite look to scale to me. Clive driving a bus? He is very accident prone, you know, always hurting himself, poor chap. Goodness knows what might happen.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, great northern said:

I have tried them but I wasn't convinced by the leaning poses that a lot of them have, and they didn't quite look to scale to me. Clive driving a bus? He is very accident prone, you know, always hurting himself, poor chap. Goodness knows what might happen.

A bus driving over Clive?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Podhunter said:

Have you looked at ModelU's range of figures?  Even at 1:76 scale, they have recognizable features, superior to white-metal cast people.

We took advantage of their scanning service to obtain figures of friends in their West Somerset Railway working outfits.

You could have Clive driving a bus over the bridge!

Wot??? I am that passenger who in the days of conductors sat the furthest away from the platform so the conductor had to come to me.

As for buses on bridges, this weekend I am playing trains with my part (but working) completed layout Pig Hill Diesel Locomotive Stabling Point at the,

Lincoln and District Model Railway Club's Exhibition

Fiskerton Village Hall

Ferry Rd,

Fiskerton,

Lincoln

LN3 4HW

Saturday 24th February 2024 and Sunday 25th February 2024

Doors open both Saturday and Sunday 10.00 till 15.00

Free car parking.

a013.jpg.3062a6d7478b3f7f6db27bf2157e3884.jpg.0fa11116ecd6e3ae33fb0e54aef5222d.jpg

a015.jpg.19d8b5448f552d69cca534b65a6fd2fa.jpg.f7a9dd312f7355c3f0de238fdb7d96dd.jpg

The theme of the show is Railways in Lincolnshire, so give my little loco depot a sense of location I have the appropriate buses for my bridge.....Gilbert says the green on the PD2 is too yellowy. I wouldn't know not being a yellow belly.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, great northern said:

Now we have the 6.45 pm KX-Cleethorpes on the way in. I don't know why, but I never manage to get this shot to my satisfaction. The abrupt end to the bridge has to be avoided, in my opinion anyway, and that leaves angles which never quite seem to work.

I think this is OK because the abrupt end to the bridge is hidden by the loco's chimney.

4 hours ago, great northern said:

After a four minute rest, off it goes towards Cleethorpes.

I don't like this one so much because the abrupt end to the bridge isn't hidden.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I think this is OK because the abrupt end to the bridge is hidden by the loco's chimney.

I don't like this one so much because the abrupt end to the bridge isn't hidden.

Interesting. I feel that the first one is a poor photo, and only marginally worth showing, even though the bridge is not a problem. The second one, however, I liked sufficiently that I felt its good points outweighed the fact that the end of the bridge could be seen. What is the general feeling about this?

10 hours ago, great northern said:

Interesting. I feel that the first one is a poor photo, and only marginally worth showing, even though the bridge is not a problem. The second one, however, I liked sufficiently that I felt its good points outweighed the fact that the end of the bridge could be seen. What is the general feeling about this?

The one where you can see the abrupt end of the bridge doesn't really bother me much as the sky is dominated by the signals which I like. The other shot where the B1's chimney hides the end of the bridge was never going to be as good because of the backlighting but then we've all had to take such shots in real life and we do so. Tbe front of the B1 is what captures me so its not all that bad.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, great northern said:

A Class H originating at Letchworth brings another WD along the Down slow.

4246.JPG.cc2c72a0846b592421798ec6af78e937.JPG 61204 ten stes oof towards Leicester, and is seen from an angle that allows the Claud to be in shot yet again.

52529and1204.JPG.7feac10ef291db7fa8e2f97866255dd3.JPG

If you're phito shoopping your captions - your crapping is a little enthusiastic.......

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

The end of the bridge doesn't bother me, my brain (such as it is) is happy to accept the suspension of reality that is the necessary compromise of our modelling activity. I get more upset about shiny wheel rims and daft stuff like that!  Oh, Romford wheel nuts are another....maybe it's just me!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, great northern said:

Fair comment, Gilbert. I was responding specfically to your comment about the "abrupt end to the bridge" rather than the wider context.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm just happy to be here...!

Seriously though, I view each picture with a 'suspension of disbelief' that it is in fact a model railway with all its compromises/foibles, and enjoy watching the trains go by with the associated narratives and explanations... especially when there's some nice coaches to drool over admire...

David

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, AHW said:

If you're phito shoopping your captions - your crapping is a little enthusiastic.......

However did that get past quality control! I am well aware of the ability of my fingers to get ahead of my brain, and in particular to hit the key to the right of the one I am aiming at, so I always check before hitting submit reply. Not this time though, obviously. There were five corrections to this post, by the way.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

A Claud and a V2 together, lovely.  Two of my favourite classes.  You can keep your A3's, Galloping Sausages (A4's) and B17's, a V2 floats my boat!  A better balanced locomotive by far.

Your mileage may differ, other opinions are available. #ducks#

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

A Claud and a V2 together, lovely.  Two of my favourite classes.  You can keep your A3's, Galloping Sausages (A4's) and B17's, a V2 floats my boat!  A better balanced locomotive by far.

Your mileage may differ, other opinions are available. #ducks#

Hmmmm. A very complex case this one. At times the patient shows definite and very encouraging signs of comprehension, but then, very swiftly, another outbreak of dementia occurs. Sad.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, great northern said:

Hmmmm. A very complex case this one. At times the patient shows definite and very encouraging signs of comprehension, but then, very swiftly, another outbreak of dementia occurs. Sad.

#peeks around corner# Oh, not banned from the topic then......

On a slightly serious note, there are not many locomotives I don't like in some way, but the V2 is right at the top of my list.  I also like A3's with double chimneys and Witte smoke deflectors (preferably with a GN tender too), so my slide into dementia is possibly confirmed also.  Given the medical disasters around here for us both this last few weeks, this does not surprise me!

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

#peeks around corner# Oh, not banned form the topic then......

On a slightly serious note, there are not many locomotives I don't like in some way, but the V2 is right at the top of my list.  I also like A3's with double chimneys and Witte smoke deflectors (preferably with a GN tender too), so my slide into dementia is possibly confirmed also.  Given the medical disasters around here for us both this last few weeks, this does not surprise me!

Sorry Neil, meant to be a joke, but in the circumstances not appropriate. I should have remembered your health problem.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, great northern said:

Sorry Neil, meant to be a joke, but in the circumstances not appropriate. I should have remembered your health problem.

No need to worry on that front Gilbert, all in fun and taken as such.  Thankfully dementia is one thing that has not been diagnosed this month!

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8