Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold
On 23/02/2024 at 08:57, great northern said:

It is one of the little peculiarities of PN that now and again we get a concentration on a single class of locomotives. At the moment, it is B1s, for as 61098 disappears to the north.....

210982.JPG.817cb7255dce19fa3bb3c80afcd4ec6f.JPG

This is one of the best photos I have seen of a model railway loco and in a superb setting.  The oily sheen on 61098 takes me back to some of my best, but vaguest, memories.  Thank you.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great northern said:

It really is such a lovely sight. The British 4.4.0 in general, not just LNER types, must surely be the finest flowering of our loco design?

I’m afraid I’m in agreement with NHN, the V2 is perfect is every respect. D16s are quite cute and 4-4-0s in general are more interesting than 4-6-0s, but they look a bit ‘fuddy duddy’ to me. The V2 looks well proportioned, purposeful and graceful. The best locos….. until Deltic came along!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

According to the Intraweb, Robert the Devil was a figure in medieval legend, being the son of a Duke of Normandy, born in response to an entreaty to the Devil.

Robert 1 Duke of Normandy, Father of William the Conqueror, is often referred to as being the person in question, although this is probably due to later writings mischievously confusing the two characters.

A racehorse was named 'Robert the Devil' referring back to the legend; and 60110 was named after the racehorse...apparently...

David

Edited by Grafarman
grammar
  • Informative/Useful 4

14 hours ago, great northern said:

What he did to be so categorised, I do not know.

Robert 1, Duke of Normandy 1027-35.  He was known as 'the Magnificent' and 'the Generous' in his lifetime and the 'Devil' soubriquet seems to have been the work of later writers and chroniclers, possibly by conflation with legend as suggested above.  Or possibly as soon as he was unable to seek vengeance on whomever applied it, given the family tendency to violence which he seems to have inherited. 

• Informative/Useful 6

7 minutes ago, great northern said:

I do remember reading that the workforce in the Crimpsall believed it was named after one of their superiors, who apparently was very bad tempered.

Would that have been R. A. (Bobby) Thom?   I have a vague recollection of reading that about him.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Would that have been R. A. (Bobby) Thom?   I have a vague recollection of reading that about him.

That's the man. At the moment I can't remember where I read about him either.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, LNER4479 said:

Whatever ... he certainly looks 'magnificent' in original garb (TW pic):

447903.jpg.eacb20c6668cbd14c98d560799d66232.jpg

It's me 😄

I wondered when you'd pop up...

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Nice Pannier(s)

Oh dear. Obviously you are having trouble with your PC and your keyboard again Phil. I'm sure you intended to say "nicer than", and forgot to put Much at the start. I'm a bit puzzled though as to why you would wish to state the obvious anyway. Is there a stirring emoji? I can't see one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great northern said:

Now we have some experiments, which didn't really come off. This angle on the J15 was prompted by stuff on the right hand side which I did not fancy photoshopping.

254742.JPG.415372e78055920da390295a12830259.JPG

My thanks to the camera for showing up every hair and speck of dust on the loco.

The GER did do some cute N-gins.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

On 28/02/2024 at 09:46, great northern said:
On 28/02/2024 at 09:23, jwealleans said:

That's the man. At the moment I can't remember where I read about him either.

O.S. Nock ("LNER Steam") describes him as " a most vivid and forceful speaker always bubbling over with ideas and opinions". On one occasion "Gresley rose from his chair and brought his fist down with a resounding crash on the table with the words: 'damn it all Thom will you shut up, and let me get a word in edgeways!' ".

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, great northern said:

On goes Silver Link, just as graceful from this angle.

8142.JPG.759e6f88fce0c0be9b83d98f034c9609.JPG

Gone 8.40pm on an August evening, so the light would be starting to go. Given the lack of light at this time of year, I've tried to turn that to my advantage with some of these shots.

This is the only sleeping car train we get to see, so I thought you might like another look at the two Thompson cars that Andy, The GreenHowards, very kindly made for me.

9sleepers.JPG.25fa3b96c8d0585ad2b9e2a0097367f8.JPG

I tries a plain blue sky as an experiment. It needed a lot of desaturating to get it anything like respectable, and I just find it too bland, but your opinion would be welcome.

Thanks for the photo. It always gives me a buzz to see something I built running round PN.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

I just find it too bland, but your opinion would be welcome.

The real sky is like that sometimes, but I think I prefer the one in the first picture, with the clouds.

• Agree 8
  • Thanks 1