Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I must admit, I drive past it regularly and couldn't recall where it actually went. I have it in mind that it was the way to Baker Perkins (I played for Westwood 2nds and 3rds in the days at the old field, behind the Halcyon pub, but I might be wrong about that) My good wife informs me that there IS a through route to Thorpe Wood, but no one in their right mind would take it..

Mayors Walk/Thorpe Park Road runs from Spital Bridge (which carries Mayors Walk over the railway) to Thorpe Hall and thence to Longthorpe. The Bourges Boulevard end of Mayors Walk is accessed past the Volunteer Fire Station.

The access to Baker Perkins is/was the next road north turning off Bourges Boulevard by ToysRUs (Westfield Road, opposite Taverners Road) and runs past Lidl on the left and the old Baker Perkins apprentice school and the Halcyon on the right if travelling west from the railway line.

Edited by Richard E

• RMweb Premium

Yup, quite correct. It again is quite narrow but does have a bus route along it. The footpath and a cyclepath are carried on a separate footbridge against the north side of the road bridge.

I have a feeling there was a bus route over that bridge. The Eastern Counties website lists all route numbers, though not in detail, I'm sure I saw one on there when I was researching bus routes for the bus in the station frontage on one of the much earlier photos.

Stewart

edit: I can't look at the moment as I'm at work, but will try to next week.

• RMweb Premium

Time for another photo. This time we have, following on behind the Queen of Scots, the eveniing fish Class C from Hull. As always the loco is a Top Shed B1, and again in immaculate condition, as they were always turned out for this duty.

post-98-0-05935400-1462563697_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

To end the day, we shall look at the other side of 61200.

post-98-0-60107800-1462571514_thumb.jpg

And maybe we shall also curse a little, in a refined and genteel manner, as Paint.Net has sneakily removed part of its cab roof. Goodnight all.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

The photo has gone as small as that because you have gone under 300kb at 288kb. I have just checked out your earlier photos, on this page, and the smallest of those comes out at 350kb. The difference, although fairly small, does make a big difference when the photo is posted. I have been caught out in this way myself in my East Yorkshire Railways thread.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I have a feeling there was a bus route over that bridge. The Eastern Counties website lists all route numbers, though not in detail, I'm sure I saw one on there when I was researching bus routes for the bus in the station frontage on one of the much earlier photos.

Stewart

edit: I can't look at the moment as I'm at work, but will try to next week.

I must confess that having lived in Peterborough since the early 1980s, I have no recollection of ever travelling on a bus there..

I must confess that having lived in Peterborough since the early 1980s, I have no recollection of ever travelling on a bus there..

Sorry my mistake. I've had a look at the ECOC website,( http://easterncountiesomnibusco.com/ecocroutes.html ) nearest I can find is the 306, Westfield Road to Dogsthorpe, though what route it took I have no idea!

Might be possible to include a coach though, could be going to pick up a load of schoolkids of out somewhere?

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

I suspect I am somewhat over golfed, and therefore doing very little, so just one more shot for today.

post-98-0-42888000-1462656004_thumb.jpg

Green Arrow swinging off the curve, with a wider angle now possible as the bridge finishes thing off. The stock in Platform 6 comes out quite nicely too.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Sorry my mistake. I've had a look at the ECOC website,( http://easterncountiesomnibusco.com/ecocroutes.html ) nearest I can find is the 306, Westfield Road to Dogsthorpe, though what route it took I have no idea!

Might be possible to include a coach though, could be going to pick up a load of schoolkids of out somewhere?

Stewart

Ah yes, Stewart, but then I've got to research the right kind of coach. :jester:

Ah yes, Stewart, but then I've got to research the right kind of coach. :jester:

Simples - almost anything? I was thinking maybe an EC one that has been done by EFE in the past (many liveries but easy repaint or transfers), or the new Barton one from Oxford. Barton ran services into Peterborough, so we are talking the edge of their operating area? And it is a nice model....

Stewart

• Like 1

Sadly, I was referring to this one. However, upon investigation, I found that although new in 1955, it was not acquired by Barton until 1961.

ehattons.com/130169/Oxford_Diecast_76WFA004_Weymann_Fanfare_AEC_Bartons?StockDetail.aspx

Or try these on ebay (minor transfer changes needed to be pedantic):-

​item no.301803595457 & 231912025433 & 172167761282.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

• RMweb Premium

Sadly, I was referring to this one. However, upon investigation, I found that although new in 1955, it was not acquired by Barton until 1961.

ehattons.com/130169/Oxford_Diecast_76WFA004_Weymann_Fanfare_AEC_Bartons?StockDetail.aspx

Or try these on ebay (minor transfer changes needed to be pedantic):-

​item no.301803595457 & 231912025433 & 172167761282.

Stewart

Stewart that hasn't linked or were you wanting us to cut and paste?

Phil

Rolling in under Crescent Bridge, and ready for its scheduled stop is Grantham's A3 60050, in charge of the 5.35pm KX- Newcastle, the 50s version of the Tynneside businessman's express.

50 1.jpg

what's the make up of the train.

• RMweb Premium

A couple more images this bright fine morning, before I go and look closely at the Spital Bridge area, and attempt to decide what, if anything, needs to be done about it.

post-98-0-78470100-1462788496_thumb.jpg

60050 is seen leaving for the North.

post-98-0-27679500-1462788578_thumb.jpg

And then the 5.30pm from Kings Lynn comes in to end its journey. It is an M&GN service, despte starting from a GE station, and so of course an Ivatt 4 is in charge.

• Like 11