Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Odd as it may seem the black and white seem to be working much better now. They've got that period feel about them, they are almost 'real'.

Yes, 90% of what was taken back then was black and white, so I guess it is what we associate with the time, and thus strikes a chord. I just need to fiddle about with exposures though - I think they should look a bit darker, and "muddier".

• RMweb Premium

And in the end, I had to find out what Nilar was about. It is in fact a name, applicable to both male and female, and presently used by 0.001%  of the world's population. Not many people know that. And I am shortly going to watch a programme about Moose. What is the plural, Mooses?

• RMweb Premium

And in the end, I had to find out what Nilar was about. It is in fact a name, applicable to both male and female, and presently used by 0.001%  of the world's population. Not many people know that. And I am shortly going to watch a programme about Moose. What is the plural, Mooses?

I believe it is Moose. I suspect the Usage of English Police will now tell me it isn't, but I throw them off the scent with the plural of fish is fish and anyway I'm from Plymyuff  so use of English is a mystery to me.................

Duck(s can sing)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

OOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

If you ever move PN on a year, Gilbert..... :senile:

I like the Hadrian too, it was my Dad's lodge.  I have a Bachmann one somewhere for a rainy day.

Move it on a year! :O  That would mean less B17s. But I am resisting the temptation to buy one of these ultra cheap ones, as I have enough, don't I?

• RMweb Premium

The repercussions of that failed DMU continue. It was supposed to reverse across to the Down bays and form the 6.20pm to Boston. Well, the replacement stock could do that, but the driver of the J11 had some unprintable things to say when it was suggested that he should do the next leg of the diagram tender first. New England therefore had to find a swift replacement.

post-98-0-99505900-1461880142_thumb.jpg

and Boston passengers found that the clock had been turned back very quickly. Those huge lamps are going, I promise, when I get enough replacements. There is a black and white version too.

post-98-0-21353600-1461880287_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I believe it is Moose. I suspect the Usage of English Police will now tell me it isn't, but I throw them off the scent with the plural of fish is fish and anyway I'm from Plymyuff  so use of English is a mystery to me.................

Duck(s can sing)

Meece?

• RMweb Premium

Meece?

They are a bit smaller I think. Now you've got me thinking. " I hate meeces to pieces"  Which cartoon character from my childhood said that? Was it Top Cat? This is not off topic, by the way, as it is contemporaneous with PN.

• RMweb Premium

That Hadrian's Bar Car. Was it not used on the Southern after or before this ECML use? I can not quite remember! (Actually I can't remember anything these days and don't even know why I'm writing this).

P

It was a very well travelled car Phil. It started life on the LNER as Car 59, moved to Scotland, and then the GWR, and back to Scotland again, according to Antony Ford's book. It seems then to have gone back to the LNER and was converted to Hadrian Bar in 1948. When the Met Cam cars arrived, it was sold to the Southern, renumbered to S7879S, and used on Southampton Ocean liner trains.

• RMweb Premium

They are a bit smaller I think. Now you've got me thinking. " I hate meeces to pieces"  Which cartoon character from my childhood said that? Was it Top Cat? This is not off topic, by the way, as it is contemporaneous with PN.

In that case, if I mention Lord Rockingham's XI you should see where I was coming from (and according to Wikipedia their big hit was in1958!).

• Like 1

Duck(s can sing)

Unless it is loose aboot this hoose...

• RMweb Premium

The day ends on another rather unusual note. We have yet another New England -Ferme Park Class H.

post-98-0-24492800-1461966140_thumb.jpg

But not the usual WD or 9F. Why a 34A V2? It did happen occasionally. Perhaps just a way of getting it back where it belonged, or maybe a gentle running in after some minor attention.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Some more photos of 60862 today, taken from slightly different angles. They are, I hope, nice images, but they are also shown as I hope you will tell me if you can see anything untoward about this locomotive." 'Cos I really want to know", as The Who sang all those years ago.

post-98-0-40327800-1462006329_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-65290500-1462006372_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-00649300-1462006448_thumb.jpg

The last two came out wrong way round, but never mind.

Exciting developments tomorrow. :sungum:

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I know little about these loco's, however I do know there was some detail difference around the front end, steam pipes, cylinder block etc.

The only thing I could possibly suggest is that the steam pipes are not correct for 1958 and the buffer beam looks a bit low?

Loads of V2s on this site                                          http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/loco,v2

post-2326-0-83713300-1462008081_thumb.jpg

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I know little about these loco's, however I do know there was some detail difference around the front end, steam pipes, cylinder block etc.

The only thing I could possibly suggest is that the steam pipes are not correct for 1958 and the buffer beam looks a bit low?

attachicon.gif17164463778_f6b072ced6_o.jpg

Phil

The steam pipes are correct Phil, as this was one of the first V2s to get the new cylinder block arrangement. Thanks for the observation about the buffer beam though, that was exactly what I was looking for. It will be interesting to see if anyone wants to develop that more.

• RMweb Premium

The steam pipes are correct Phil, as this was one of the first V2s to get the new cylinder block arrangement. Thanks for the observation about the buffer beam though, that was exactly what I was looking for. It will be interesting to see if anyone wants to develop that more.

There is a slight lip between the front footplate under the smokebox door and the curved plating on the model but not on the prototype?

P

• RMweb Premium

I expect you thought I'd forgotten...... :scratchhead:

post-2326-0-73439400-1462024187_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-62796500-1462024193_thumb.jpg

I was going to watch some cyclists. That would have involved:

waiting around for hours (in the rain as it turns out);

then seeing a load of crouched bodies whizz past in ten seconds;

waiting for the next bus that might not even run if they were late.

So I did this instead.

Remind me the 'level of detail' you needed before receipt for your workshop. I think you suggested it would be good in maroon and cream? I don't think I can trust myself to get that sort of finish....sorry.

I'd like to boast, however I only did the side in the first photo, prep of the roof, (that needs some interesting vent arrangements), do the HD Bogies*  and added the extra undergubbins (not really visible, but involved moving the two air tanks, adding two dynamos and two more battery boxes).

The alarm gear needs fabricating. If I'd done the whole thing I would have attempted to retain the Hornby moulding as it is such a fine piece of detail, as are the water pipes (they have disappeared as well sadly).

*I have cheated with the bogies so they may not look satisfactory on the layout. Kept the Hornby ones and hacked off and filed down the bogie sides then hacked some MJT castings and filed them thinner. Then I stuck those castings on the Hornby bogie sides. 

The coach now has a lovely, low centre of gravity with the added white metal parts, so I replaced the original underframe weight with  a small amount of lead. I think it is a decent weight now.

Ar$e

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 6