Peterborough North

great northern

At the time it was just the unnamed streak,

Yep, we called it that too. I was always jealous of the older lads who had seen it, and, of course, opinion had it that I wasn't allowed to underline it from a few bits of scrap casing. Bah! As Dennis the Menace would have said.

• RMweb Gold

Yep, we called it that too. I was always jealous of the older lads who had seen it, and, of course, opinion had it that I wasn't allowed to underline it from a few bits of scrap casing. Bah! As Dennis the Menace would have said.

Hard luck - I cabbed it at KX after a run up to London behind it, and by a strange coincidence my dad had cabbed it when it was 10000 touring round in some sort of LNER exhibition.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Our team is improving, we came third today, and my putter is still hot. Home quite late, so I've only had time to process one image, another WD on coal duties, but it does fulfill one of the recent requests - more long goods trains. The N5 is blocking the view of the WD on the Down empties.

post-98-0-37800800-1461361509_thumb.jpg

The sky is a bit too blue I think, but I find it does help with the signals.

• Like 18

This morning's images again feature that WD, now emerging from under the roof.

attachicon.gifWD 2.jpg

wide angle, to show the wagons on the Down slow.

attachicon.gifWD 2 heavy crop.jpg

or if you prefer, heavily cropped

Morning Gilbert

I do like the cropped version, a great view taking you through the station down to the Gresley coach in the background very realistic.

This cropped angle is also crying out for an A4 to be photographed at the same point.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Three rounds of golf in four days is no longer a good idea. I am absolutely shattered, and off to bed. one more shot of the WD before I go.

attachicon.gifWD 3.jpg

Wouldn't one more shot of the JD (other brands are available) have been more relaxing?  :drinks:

• RMweb Premium

I love the WD. It is weathered so beautifully, and makes a lovely sight pulling all those 16 ton wagons - which I think are mainly the BR versions.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Yes, thank goodness for Bachmann 16 tonners. Those and MK1s make this layout possible.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Only one image left at the moment, though I should be able to do some more later. This is a KX Goods- Niddrie Class C, headed by one of my oldest Bachmann V2s.

post-98-0-06155600-1461488447_thumb.jpg

Mismatched and asymmetrical lamps, runs like a dog, but until Bachmann come up with the new tooling it has to run. Mind you, it is now 24 years old. The real 60867 lasted only 23.

• Like 17

Crikey, missed by two! My 7mm V2 is 60869...

P1060015-2%20600%20x%20350_zpsfh5q5jrt.j

Love the dub-dee photos. I must admit I never took much notice of them as a spotter, preferring 4-6-2 to 2-8-0, but what would I do to see one now, trundling along with a long train of 16-tonners?

I have to ask, that crimson CCT standing in the bay - does it ever move?

Chaz

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Crikey, missed by two! My 7mm V2 is 60869...

P1060015-2%20600%20x%20350_zpsfh5q5jrt.j

Love the dub-dee photos. I must admit I never took much notice of them as a spotter, preferring 4-6-2 to 2-8-0, but what would I do to see one now, trundling along with a long train of 16-tonners?

I have to ask, that crimson CCT standing in the bay - does it ever move?

Chaz

Only at night. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if it was not Butlin's that kept Skeggy station open

Quite possibly. I think it also worked elsewhere (e.g. Minehead), however, the advent of the motor and being able to go abroad 'on a package' by the mid 60s, killed the traditional railway holiday season.

It was more the Notts and Derbyshire pit workers that kept Skeggy Station in business for years.

Anyway I don't remember the 60s as I was there.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Looking for their braces?

Looking for their trousers somewhere in the dunes more like. Or so we hoped. And who says spin is a recent invention? Whoever  thought up "bracing" for Skeggy was a master of it well over a century ago.

• RMweb Premium

Our next featured train is headed by yet another WD, but this one had made an even more marathon journey than most. It left Kings Cross Goods just under twelve hours ago, and has acted as pick up goods for every station between there and here. There must have been at least one crew change, but the loco did the whole journey.

post-98-0-11147500-1461525740_thumb.jpg

The signal box has moved a little forward of where it should be, and I will attend to that. Andy Rush told me some time back that a lot of the load would be taken as an opportunity to return yet more empty minerals, so here they are.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I did a couple of shots of the formation of the WD's train, as it rolled along the slow line.

post-98-0-45060000-1461535051_thumb.jpg

Looking at this, I'm not sure why I bothered. Those blobs by the loco are blurred birds.

post-98-0-64368900-1461535155_thumb.jpg

And then I spent a long time trying to photoshop this. Impossible, and so I deleted it. Shame really, as it could be quite atmospheric, so here it is as the camera saw it.

• Like 14

And now here are the last two shots of the W1.

attachicon.gif60700 4.jpg

This actually works quite well when there are wagons on the Down slow, hiding the edge of the baseboard. The view of quite a lot of the coaches helps too. There is a cold breeze blowing, so all prospective passengers are staying in the Waiting Rooms until the train comes to a standstill, hence the bare platform.

attachicon.gif60700 5.jpg

This one shows up the bulk of the thing nicely.

attachicon.gif60700 5 bw.jpg

And it works quite well in black and white too.

Oh billhooks....  Looks like the lamp iron fairies have been at it again!  Another task for my next visit, along with a few others on A4s I wonder? :scratchhead:

Nice to see the J11 too; I would dearly love one of those in GCR livery..... :senile:

• RMweb Premium

Oh billhooks....  Looks like the lamp iron fairies have been at it again!  Another task for my next visit, along with a few others on A4s I wonder? :scratchhead:

Nice to see the J11 too; I would dearly love one of those in GCR livery..... :senile:

Oh yes, Tim. Plenty, and then some more.