Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

That J6 is exquisite! I love it, and I hope there will be lots of photos to come of it. You cannot have enough of an engine like a J6. It really is such a good model of the class - LMR?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That J6 is exquisite! I love it, and I hope there will be lots of photos to come of it. You cannot have enough of an engine like a J6. It really is such a good model of the class - LMR?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

LRM indeed Rob. I have two of them, and I am very fond of them too. They were top of the wish lists a while back, and I hoped we might see a RTR one, but alas it is looking increasingly unlikely now we have the J11 and J15. The only problem with the LMR ones is that the body is a sound box, and they are rather noisy, particularly when running forwards, which is why you often see mine running tender first. We've tried several ways to cure this, but with little success.

Thanks Roy. Would that have been the early morning duty where the Nottingham and Newark coaches were added to a few more at Grantham, and then as you say off to KX?

I'm not sure about that Gilbert. I can't even remember how early in a morning it was , but I do remember it being a bit droughty going to Newark !

Roy.

• RMweb Premium

G'day Gents

Love the mundane, especially in the shape of a J6, would love to see your take of PN in 1938, I live in hope. lol

manna

1938? yes, it would be nice, but not practical, I'm afraid. I'd need so many locos, so much rolling stock, and there would be other difficulties. All the signals would be wrong, for a start. I keep thinking about having one pre war train, but really that would just be incongruous, and there are still things to do in 1958 on which money can be more wisely spent. It will remain a dream, but at least there is Grantham which gives us access to that period when we need it.

• RMweb Premium

How about 1908? Oh, hang on, you couldn't keep much of your rolling stock - J3?

Even the J3 would need backdating somewhat I think. It would be a very interesting period to model, but would need scratch building skills I don't possess. It is going to happen on Sandy though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

G'day Gents

It's going to be a nightmare of a time at PN, the B12's tender has derailed, call out the brakedown van, time for the Jacks and blocks.

manna

That's me again, shoving things along by hand instead of driving them properly. No worries though, the breakdown train is only at the other end of the platforms.

Apart from quantity a cwm would create no more thermal shock than heavy rain or snow.  The air-smoothed were reputedly built that way to enable them to be machine cleaned although I don't know if they ever were but at least one US 'road reportedly ran its modern steam engines through washing machines.

Not that either would have made any difference at Gateshead I would imagine because it turned filthy engines into an art form.

That could account for the state the casing was in in their later days.

• RMweb Premium

Another couple of shots of the V2 this morning. I had resolved to do only one of any locomotive or train, but somehow I always finish up doing more.

post-98-0-59757200-1467879444_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-29939800-1467879496_thumb.jpg

Just looking at these again, I'm wondering if a completely neutral sky is the best way to do things. As usual, your views will be appreciated.

• Like 19