Peterborough North

great northern

Smashing  Helicopter shots Gilbert, I don't think I'd be alone in saying that I really quite like to see them from time to time.

For many layouts it seems that the trains  are the stars parading around on stage. But when I see the overall pictures of your layout I think that  PN itself is the star and the Loco's and trains are the extras.

(You have to understand that being an engine driver that was quite difficult to admit). :O

• RMweb Gold

Smashing  Helicopter shots Gilbert, I don't think I'd be alone in saying that I really quite like to see them from time to time.

For many layouts it seems that the trains  are the stars parading around on stage. But when I see the overall pictures of your layout I think that  PN itself is the star and the Loco's and trains are the extras.

(You have to understand that being an engine driver that was quite difficult to admit). :O

Off - topic! Love your avatar Ted, and hope to see one or more of them in action this weekend!

• RMweb Premium

You,ve hit the nail on the head there Ted. I'm in complete agreement - the layout is the most important thing, the trains are the icing on the cake. They just finish off the scene. Essential yes, but only in the context in which they are seen.

Gilbert,

Must say, I like the pics of the PUllmans,  BUT, from the looks of it, there is a very pronounced camber change just where the first and second cars appear in the "Queen of Scots" photo.   Hope nobody was just haing a plate of soup at that moment !

Stuart

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Must say, I like the pics of the PUllmans,  BUT, from the looks of it, there is a very pronounced camber change just where the first and second cars appear in the "Queen of Scots" photo.   Hope nobody was just haing a plate of soup at that moment !

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I've been up and run the rake around again by hand. There is a barely discernable cant of the first car, which for some reason is lighter than the second, even though they were built by the same person. As usual, the camera exaggerates the effect. I thought the corridor connectors might be snagging slightly, which I think is the most likely cause.

• RMweb Premium

The last two images from Tuesday's shoot show the 1.23pm to KX, a 34E B1 duty.

post-98-0-33425200-1468015657_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-62080300-1468015680_thumb.jpg

Quite enough for today. Tomorrow between 0930 and 1100 I shall be standing by our 11th tee seeing if anyone can get a £5000 prize by getting a hole in one. I do not expect to see one of those, but if the forecast is correct, it will be p****ing down.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

The last two images from Tuesday's shoot show the 1.23pm to KX, a 34E B1 duty.

attachicon.gif1207 1.jpg

attachicon.gif1207 2.jpg

Quite enough for today. Tomorrow between 0930 and 1100 I shall be standing by our 11th tee seeing if anyone can get a £5000 prize by getting a hole in one. I do not expect to see one of those, but if the forecast is correct, it will be p****ing down.

You'd get a better view if you stood by the green wouldn't you?

Anyway, have fun and enjoy that beer.

• RMweb Premium

You'd get a better view if you stood by the green wouldn't you?

Anyway, have fun and enjoy that beer.

You haven't seen our lot play golf. It would be rather dangerous up that end, unless I stood in the centre of the green. The worst place to be would be the pond short right of the green. I'd really be ducking and diving there.

• RMweb Premium

I could probably achieve that hole thingy, however I'd be teeing off for the 12th!

G, I keep forgetting to ask if you possess A4 '26 Miles Beevor?

Phil

That one is number 34 on my list of priorities Phil. Horrid name, and whenever I saw it filthy and neglected. One of 34As poorest I believe.

Just time to do one more above the roofs image from our hovering cameraman.

attachicon.gifrooflines from South.jpg

Good morning Gilbert

Nice high level view over PN.

May I ask how high are your baseboards set from track level above your room floor level.

I am just about to start my support framework for Haymarket and would like to get it right first time if possible, I did read the ideal operating height is between 42" and 48" or 1066mm and 1220mm.

But a second opinion is always welcome.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

• RMweb Premium

Good morning Gilbert

Nice high level view over PN.

May I ask how high are your baseboards set from track level above your room floor level.

I am just about to start my support framework for Haymarket and would like to get it right first time if possible, I did read the ideal operating height is between 42" and 48" or 1066mm and 1220mm.

But a second opinion is always welcome.

Regards

David

The boards are at 3ft 6ins David. higher than I've gone before, but it is an improvement when viewing. Higher still might be even better in that respect, but I fear would also be harder to work on when tracklaying etc, unless of course all of that can be done as a bench job and assembled later.

• RMweb Premium

And so I went and stood by the 11th green, as there is a tree there which gives a degree of shelter. I watched the rain sheeting down, and the green flooding until play became impossible. Then the klaxon sounded, and that was the end of Captain's day, which had to be called off. The end of play, but not the end of problems. What do you do with halfway house food prepared for an anticipated 200 people,most of whom aren't going to arrive now? We did the best we could, brought it back to the clubhouse and rounded up as many as we could to eat it, but still there was a lot of waste. Thank you British weather. All rearranged for 28 days time now, when we shall hope for something better.

It is not raining at PN though, and here is a picture of a WD to prove it.

post-98-0-77792500-1468080465_thumb.jpg

As you can see, our cameraman is still levitating.

• Like 16

The boards are at 3ft 6ins David. higher than I've gone before, but it is an improvement when viewing. Higher still might be even better in that respect, but I fear would also be harder to work on when tracklaying etc, unless of course all of that can be done as a bench job and assembled later.

Hi Gilbert

Many thanks for the reply, I was thinking of setting the Haymarket baseboards at 1100mm above floor level which is just over an inch higher than PN and your conformation has made me think that's about the correct height.

Thanks again.

Regards

David

My "O" Gauge layout has the boards set at 1200 mm or 48 inches off of the ground to give me access underneath to fit Tortoise Point Motors and all wiring as I have MS and I have to say it was a mistake.The boards are 48 inches wide and so access to the middle of the boards for tracklaying,ballasting wiring etc has been from the second step of a pair of steps which kills my legs after an hour or so.The biggest bug bare has been fitting Peco SL11 insulated rail joiners, which I have found by far the most difficult and annoying task,not helped by only having sight in one eye.Please don't get me wrong I am not looking for sympathy,I know people with far worse to contend with. I am merely pointing out that what seems like a great idea can suddenly go wrong as most of us are not getting any younger. Wmell all of us really of course,but I was thinking of the more senior members such as myself.

• RMweb Premium

My "O" Gauge layout has the boards set at 1200 mm or 48 inches off of the ground to give me access underneath to fit Tortoise Point Motors and all wiring as I have MS and I have to say it was a mistake.The boards are 48 inches wide and so access to the middle of the boards for tracklaying,ballasting wiring etc has been from the second step of a pair of steps which kills my legs after an hour or so.The biggest bug bare has been fitting Peco SL11 insulated rail joiners, which I have found by far the most difficult and annoying task,not helped by only having sight in one eye.Please don't get me wrong I am not looking for sympathy,I know people with far worse to contend with. I am merely pointing out that what seems like a great idea can suddenly go wrong as most of us are not getting any younger. Wmell all of us really of course,but I was thinking of the more senior members such as myself.

I think those insulated rail joiners get to most of us Derek. I had trouble with them when I was considerably younger. And there are few if any good ideas that don't turn out to have some kind of downside when you get started on them.

• RMweb Premium

Another WD photo, and the intrepid photographer has climbed even higher to get this one.

post-98-0-54311900-1468100229_thumb.jpg

It does though allow a longer view of the train. The platforms look very bare, but I don't know what else to put on them. There weren't any seats outside the overall roof at this end, and my views on the deficiencies of model people are well known by now.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

Many thanks for the reply, I was thinking of setting the Haymarket baseboards at 1100mm above floor level which is just over an inch higher than PN and your conformation has made me think that's about the correct height.

Thanks again.

Regards

David

David, in my experience the best baseboard height depends on how you intend to operate and/or view the layout as well as on factors such as ducking under.

On my previous St Enodoc layout the top of the boards was about 1300 mm above floor level to make ducking under easier, but that was too high to reach across easily as it was about armpit height for me. The new Mid-Cornwall Lines layout doesn't need a duck-under so the boards are about 100 mm lower which means I can reach across with my arm horizontal and still not knock over everything at the front. At this height too when I sit on a kitchen-style stool to operate the trains are roughly at eye level.

I do need to stand on low steps to lay and wire track though.