Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

Gilbert, I do like the under the bridge and under the canopy shots

Me too, I can just imagine the O2 under light steam gently moving under the roof at the regulation PSR speed, then getting to the end of the platform and opening up again. In Oz, the Gresley valve geared D57 class in NSW were said to say "three bricks and a bucket, three bricks and a bucket" when working, so can imagine the O2 sounding very similar through the station, that is until the driver gave her full regulator, then it'd be like "THREE BRICKS AND A BUCKET, THREE BRICKS AND A BUCKET"...

• Like 6

Our look around the station precincts starts at the North end, where a V2 has backed on to the stock for the 7.25 am stopper to Kings Cross. It can't yet move into the sole Up platform though.

attachicon.gifV2 in siding.JPG

Moving back towards the safety of the platforms, the next sighting is at Platform 6, where B1 61023 waits with the 7.35am Parliamentary to Doncaster.

attachicon.gif1023.JPG

Via which way?

• RMweb Premium

Via which way?

The Doncaster?  Tallington, Essendine, Little Bytham, Corby Glen, Great Ponton, Grantham, Newark, Retford, Ranskill, Bawtry and Rossington. One of Tallington's two Down stopping trains, but not for much longer.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

G'day Gents

WOT, no sleeper running three hours late  !!!!!, latest I worked a up sleeper out of Peterborough was 8.15 am, so we've still got time. :sungum:

manna

That would open another can of worms. First acquire all the necessary sleeping cars.... then find somewhere to store them. I'd love to feature them, and some of the evening ones really should appear as it is before my cut off point of 2200, but I've looked at the formations and, even if I could manage the cost aspect, some of the necessary stock doesn't seem to be available at all, even in the form of kits. I suspect that my period is just a bit too early to allow MK1 cars as well.

• RMweb Premium

Well chaps, I seem to be getting hit from all sides at the moment. I now have blurred vision in my other eye. :sad_mini:. Highly unlikely to be TIA, I'm told, so hopefully the optician will be able to tell me more this afternoon. I'm not sure what I'll be able to do with the railway, or photography, but I shall give it a go later. For now, here is another shot of the A3 on its way down to New England for turning and servicing.

post-98-0-17166300-1490172172_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I'm trying to keep my mind occupied while waiting to find out what my new eye problem might be, and so I have done some research on sleeping car trains. Not many types are available, as I suspected. Bill Bedford does sides for a Gresley Dia 18/19 twin first, and for Thompson Dia 368 SLSTP and Dia 369 SLSP. That seems to be it for pre nationalisation stock. Then there are the Bachmann SLF and SLSTP, the first of which seem to have appeared from late 1957 onwards. The ER got some SLSTP from 8/58, which would be OK, but it seems no SLFs till the 3/59 batch, which is pushing my limits somewhat.

However, so far as the Up trains are concerned, they would have to be running pretty late to appear within my timescale, which starts at 0715. The Aberdonian would have to be an hour late to come through after that, and as it was composed of at least four Gresley twins, plus several other cars, that is a non starter on grounds of expense. The likes of the Night Scotsman were due into KX by 5.30am or earlier, and so would have been through PN between 4.00am and 5.45am, which means they would be very late indeed. I've read that they could be well delayed sometimes, but I wouldn't have thought it would be commonplace for that to happen.

Most Down trains didn't get to PN until well after dark either, so they will be left out both on timing and expense factors. There are just a couple of earlier trains, due through PN at 8.58pm and 9.10pm which might be practical. Much more pondering is needed, and don't even mention the Car Carrier.