RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Oh well I thought of putting Hitchin but wasn't able to check books to see whether they had a J15 there at the same time as Deltic was running!  So I thought I'd play safe.

• RMweb Premium

Oh well I thought of putting Hitchin but wasn't able to check books to see whether they had a J15 there at the same time as Deltic was running!  So I thought I'd play safe.

65479 was at Hitchin till 1960, though I think it was on store at the back of the shed for quite a lot of the time. Nevertheless, it qualifies.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I had a lovely day at my little brother's wedding, well worth a 220 mile round trip. Very little traffic either, so no hassle. With all of this excitement, the railway has been neglected, and so I'm short of pictures. We do have this one of a resting station pilot though.

post-98-0-38855700-1498379311_thumb.jpg

and a B17 arriving with the Birmingham -Ely as Deltic waits for the off in the background.

post-98-0-19974800-1498379403_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

I had a lovely day at my little brother's wedding, well worth a 220 mile round trip. Very little traffic either, so no hassle. With all of this excitement, the railway has been neglected, and so I'm short of pictures. We do have this one of a resting station pilot though.

attachicon.gifC12.JPG

and a B17 arriving with the Birmingham -Ely as Deltic waits for the off in the background.

attachicon.gifdeltic and 1641.JPG

7/6d; was she worth it Gilbert?

I have read somewhere that that J15 was retained for working some sort of Branch that involved some RAF Base or similar. CBA to look the details up as I am a lazy b#####d and anyway it's Sunday.

I see the Blue thing has failed......and is still awaiting rescue  :nono:  :rtfm:  :declare:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have read somewhere that that J15 was retained for working some sort of Branch that involved some RAF Base or similar. 

RAF Henlow on the Hitchin - Bedford branch. An E4 (62785) was also retained to work the base's traffic. 

• RMweb Premium

That 'resting pilot' picture, Gilbert. Are you sure it's a model ?

Outstanding.

Allan

Only one small detail (in two places) gives the game away although the lamps are a bit off vertical but otherwise it definitely counts as JLTRT.

This photo came about purely by chance, actually. I just put the camera down temporarily, saw this through the viewfinder, and thought it had possibities. The lamps are a constant problem, as tacky wax and blu tack don't keep them in place for very long. I've painted up some more of the Modelu ones, so hopefully  can get things permanently and correctly seated. I shall never be able to do anything about couplings, unfortunately. I'll never get anything that is exactly right, but thanks for saying that this one comes close.

I'll never get anything that is exactly right, but thanks for saying that this one comes close.

Not many of us do, Gilbert and least of all those 'experts' who've got everything but a layout !

Well I can't speak for others but in my opinion PN is one of the best layouts on RMweb, if not the best, and you're responsible for its success so don;t let the odd wonky lamp bother you.

Allan 

• Like 1

Hi Gilbert,

That will still give us some excellent pictures of your layout and stock.   A teaser for the next one maybe.

You have certainly provided me and I think many others with plenty of inspiration with your photos on here.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Rationing is still in place, so just the one image again, the two B17s from a different angle.

attachicon.gifand again.JPG

It looks like I am going to have to buy (gulp), a mobile phone thingy.

The 'thingy' will be able to take good pics if you choose carefully G.  You can also measure how far you travel around your golf course. I'm told they can be used for sending texts and other stuff...............

A G Bell

The 'thingy' will be able to take good pics if you choose carefully G.  You can also measure how far you travel around your golf course. I'm told they can be used for sending texts and other stuff...............

A G Bell

Some of them can even do​ get used for phone calls

Stewart

A G Bell

If it has the camera lens in the corner, it can be used to get excellent low level shots.

"I was just lying in the cess, as you do, when this Mallard thing came past, and this is the shot I got." Cue photo of draincocks, cylinders and wheels with a running board on top and nothing above it but sky. You don't want to risk a photo of the underside of any other type of mallard.

Alan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The trouble with smartphones is that they do like to make words up! A sort of Doctor Spooner on steroids! Anyway, I hope it will work out for you, and choose as carefully as you can.

I like the latest photos, and Im looking forward to seeing more of those B17's.

Best regards,

Rob.

I seem to spend hours waiting for our daughter to come out of various places or off trains as it is difficult for her to get home after frequent school trips. A smart phone can be a great way of passing the time as you can catch up on RM Web! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A G Bell

Texts?  What's that then?

• RMweb Premium

I do like the mainly "empty" photos ie those with lots of track and buildings and the what locos and trains there are not the main focus. Quiet times as most stations were for most of the time.

Thanks Alan, I've noted that, and will do more of them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I seem to spend hours waiting for our daughter to come out of various places or off trains as it is difficult for her to get home after frequent school trips. A smart phone can be a great way of passing the time as you can catch up on RM Web! 

My problem is that I have been accustomed to using what remains of the BBC Ceefax service, and I can't do that with my new TV and Virgin box, both of which are apparently far too smart to be bothered with such things. I need an alternative, and all my friends seem to be constantly poking at these smartphone thingies to get the sort of information I'm looking for. Are there still things called newspapers?

• RMweb Premium

Another very long day yesterday. Mess up with golf tee time resulted in starting later than expected, and so straight in the car, drive 25 miles home, shower, change, straight to the golf club to chair a crucial meeting. Food? What's that then? Meeting finished at 1015pm, by which time too tired to eat anyway.

I had managed to get ten minutes with the layout on Sunday, and just four more images. Here is the first of them. We are now sufficiently far into the spotting day for locos that have already been seen to turn up again. I seem to remember this kind of thing causing much ire and frustration. We didn't know what angst was when we were twelve. Come to think of it, we may not have known what ire was either. Here is filthy York A2/3 60515 on its way home with a York and Hull service.

post-98-0-69492100-1498549224_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Another cracking photo Gilbert. I have probably said it before but photo's from that angle and looking through the bridge - tickle my fancy for some reason.

I would have liked to have been lurking around near that Signal box in the 50's. But your pictures can take us there instead. Thank you.