Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

I wonder if I could use your thread for some information as you have such a large LNER following.

I am trying to locate some 4mm scale side cab window screens, the ones that are 90 degrees to the cab side of the locomotive and is located between the two cab side windows.

Some time ago on one of the threads I saw that someone produced a brass etch for them but cannot find any information now.

Also if anyone know if any AWS bang plates are also available that would be helpful as well.

I know BrassMaster have them in their locomotive detailing kits but do not really want to spend six or seven pounds per kit just to use the AWS bang plate and I need five of them in total.

I hope you do not mind me asking.

Regards

David

Could you make bang plates out of plasticard? I've no idea as I've not done it, but might now I've thougth of it but on loco's that should not be mentioned on here in case it frightens people. :whistle:

Duck's Ar$e.

It was Morgan Gilbert who produced the etches as I had a couple from him. I can't for the life of me remember his username on here - 45537? Ii's a Jubilee, I'm almost certain.

Gilbert,

ignore Mr Wealleans he is starting to show his age and unlike a bottle of good wine he is clouding the facts.Yes it is a Jubilee, but it is 45609..

I suppose we should make allowances for the dear old chap as he always means well and does he not hail from Middlesborough from the Championship  :onthequiet:

Regards,Derek.

Gilbert,

ignore Mr Wealleans he is starting to show his age and unlike a bottle of good wine he is clouding the facts.Yes it is a Jubilee, but it is 45609..

I suppose we should make allowances for the dear old chap as he always means well and does he not hail from Middlesborough from the Championship  :onthequiet:

Regards,Derek.

Hi Derek

Many thanks to you and Mr Wealleans as well, I did manage to find out that Morgan's RMWeb name was 45609.

I have already contacted him and will purchase them today.

Thanks again to all for being so helpful.

Regards

David

• Like 1

Could you make bang plates out of plasticard? I've no idea as I've not done it, but might now I've thougth of it but on loco's that should not be mentioned on here in case it frightens people. :whistle:

Duck's Ar$e.

Hi Mallard

I have made them before using thin card, but I would have preferred to get some brass ones if possible,  but plasticard seems like a very good idea as I can score and fold the plasticard to fix onto the buffer beam.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mallard

I have made them before using thin card, but I would have preferred to get some brass ones if possible,  but plasticard seems like a very good idea as I can score and fold the plasticard to fix onto the buffer beam.

Regards

David

David, if you do make one of those plates maybe Gilbert wouldn't mind you showing the fitting on here if you have the time?

I do hope Gilbert has not been struck by lightening on the Golf Course today? He's been very quiet.

I was meaning to congratulate him on the 2nd shot in post15383; a real spotter's photo as if bunking the Yard or with a lineside pass.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

David, if you do make one of those plates maybe Gilbert wouldn't mind you showing the fitting on here if you have the time?

I do hope Gilbert has not been struck by lightening on the Golf Course today? He's been very quiet.

I was meaning to congratulate him on the 2nd shot in post15383; a real spotter's photo as if bunking the Yard or with a lineside pass.

Phil

Hi Phil

It may be a week or so but I will have a go and if successful and Gilbert does not mind I will put some photos on.

Regards

David

That is a fogman's hut...

FWIW I saw a frogman's hut advertised on eBay last year!  I messaged the vendor to correct him but received no response.  The auction concluded -- but who bought the frogman's hut?  And did they have a 1:76 scale frog to sit inside?

Edited by Podhunter
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Phil

We only got the lightning half an hour ago Phil, and I was safely indoors. Today has been a horrid day, which started badly and got worse, so I haven't felt like keeping up with things till now.

• RMweb Premium

A very nasty and upsetting e-mail on golf club matters first thing, predictably ruining any hope of decent golf. Had to retire after 12 holes anyway as my back gave up completely, and got more grief from ******* after the round. I don't know why I bother. Here are two photos. I can't motivate myself to caption them.

post-98-0-99630900-1499374977_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-74868800-1499374991_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

'tis me.....45609.....Gilbert and Ellice Islands, obviously or perhaps not.  Which Jubilee is 45537 then JW?  I think you've been sniffing too much of the Doncaster green paint again  It's actually a Patriot. Private E. Sykes V.C.

cheers....Morgan

Marty Feldman or Eric Sykes? No wonder JW got confused.

Please don't let golf matters have a diverse effect on PN, Gilbert.

It's wasn't just your layout and the wonderful pictures that made a million hits, it was also your account of it. Photos without your input just isn't golf - I mean cricket.

Allan.

• RMweb Gold

People who volunteer and take on honorary roles invariably get crapped upon by a tiny percentage of those whose interests they attempt to represent. I am very sorry that our host has found himself in that position, and hope resolution in some form can be speedily found. Leisure activities are supposed to be relaxing and therapeutic. Perhaps briefly shutting out the golf and immersing yourself in a bit more PN might bring back that feeling?

• Like 1

G'Day Gents

Or you could do as some of the 'BIG' corporate directors do, collect a $1 million + a year paycheck, and insist on a Huge seven figure bonus, that'll stop the whingers, if it don't, you'll be quids in.

manna

• RMweb Premium

People who volunteer and take on honorary roles invariably get crapped upon by a tiny percentage of those whose interests they attempt to represent. I am very sorry that our host has found himself in that position, and hope resolution in some form can be speedily found. Leisure activities are supposed to be relaxing and therapeutic. Perhaps briefly shutting out the golf and immersing yourself in a bit more PN might bring back that feeling?

I'd love to do that Ian, but shutting out golf isn't an option at present. I have to chair a number of clarification meetings next week, in the run up to a Special General meeting at the end of the month, on matters vital to the future of our Club. Golf is struggling, and all clubs will have to adapt to change or face the consequences. We have a proportion of elderly members who have bought the  "no change" T shirts, and are against what we propose. Because I'm Chairman, and possibly also because I'm rather good at setting out logical and factually accurate arguments, some have chosen to attack me on a personal basis, which is unpleasant and stressful.

If you add in the fact that I have a very bad back, and cannot play golf to any kind of standard which is acceptable to me, I'm stuck with having to spend a lot of my time at a place which is at present just a constant cause of upset. Anyway, enough of that now. A number of you have been kind enough to express concern, so I thought I should give a brief explantation for my attitude.

• RMweb Premium

I'd love to do that Ian, but shutting out golf isn't an option at present.

From personal experience, nothing is worth putting your peace-of-mind in jeopardy. Stress can be devastating, and when an activity causes you real distress it's time to say "Enough"!

If these naysayers think they know better, let them face the consequences - there are other golf clubs; (especially as you can get no personal satisfaction from the game itself at present). Loyalty is all very well, but you do occasionally have to put yourself first, especially as the consequences of enduring stress can affect those around you too.

I enjoyed my career, but when it started to make me mentally and physically ill, I walked away, and moved to Cornwall to concentrate on those things that gave me pleasure. The change is unbelievable - you forget how enjoyable and rewarding life can be when you're up to your neck in hassle.

All the best,

John Isherwood.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

From personal experience, nothing is worth putting your peace-of-mind in jeopardy. Stress can be devastating, and when an activity causes you real distress it's time to say "Enough"!

If these naysayers think they know better, let them face the consequences - there are other golf clubs; (especially as you can get no personal satisfaction from the game itself at present). Loyalty is all very well, but you do occasionally have to put yourself first, especially as the consequences of enduring stress can affect those around you too.

I enjoyed my career, but when it started to make me mentally and physically ill, I walked away, and moved to Cornwall to concentrate on those things that gave me pleasure. The change is unbelievable - you forget how enjoyable and rewarding life can be when you're up to your neck in hassle.

All the best,

John Isherwood.

I appreciate that advice John, and I know you are right. The problem is twofold. First, a lot of people are relying on me, and I can't let them down. Second, it has been my golf club for 35 years, and I can't bear the thought of seeing it flounder. I shall start to fight back shortly, I think.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd love to do that Ian, but shutting out golf isn't an option at present. I have to chair a number of clarification meetings next week, in the run up to a Special General meeting at the end of the month, on matters vital to the future of our Club. Golf is struggling, and all clubs will have to adapt to change or face the consequences. We have a proportion of elderly members who have bought the  "no change" T shirts, and are against what we propose. Because I'm Chairman, and possibly also because I'm rather good at setting out logical and factually accurate arguments, some have chosen to attack me on a personal basis, which is unpleasant and stressful.

If you add in the fact that I have a very bad back, and cannot play golf to any kind of standard which is acceptable to me, I'm stuck with having to spend a lot of my time at a place which is at present just a constant cause of upset. Anyway, enough of that now. A number of you have been kind enough to express concern, so I thought I should give a brief explantation for my attitude.

There was a programme on the radio recently talking about this very matter with Golf Clubs. In short it said wake up and smell the coffee or go under. From what I know about your situation G. I'd get this BBC broadcast and let your 'allies' hear it (if they have not already). Then, get the allies with you at meetings to put the dinosaurs in their lockers. They have the problem, not you, so let them fester.  

Your particular skills would be welcome at other Clubs; if they persist in being bas####ds than get up and walk away. Life is short.

Take care dear boy; immerse yourself in August 1958.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I know exactly what you mean Gilbert, been there, done that and got the T shirt with my motor club.

Unfortunately the dinosaurs succeeded in a 'land grab' taking the club back. It has, in a year, undone the damn hard work of 4 years on the part of myself and others to get the club back into some semblance of order as the previous 'management' couldn't run a drinking party in a beer producing facility. Whilst I am still a member I have taken no part in the running of the club since that happened an d have no intention of so doing. It saddens me to see it sliding into obscurity though.

You have my heartfelt sympathy, I hope you are more successful than I was.

• RMweb Premium

Captain's day at the Golf Club, so I must shortly go and do starting and mingling. First though, we can have another look at that L1, and as it rounds the curve, we get a look at the A4 too.

post-98-0-36099100-1499502183_thumb.jpg

And we can watch from another angle too.

post-98-0-31755300-1499502252_thumb.jpg

The camera really can be vicious when it comes to showing up defects. That cabside number is hardly noticeable in reality, but here it looks absolutely awful. Off to Tim it must go. It occurs to me that the effect of a filthy loco which has just had a rag rubbed over the number to make it legible is one which is very hard to achieve in model form, but when you don't want or need it, it seems to be very easy indeed.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

The A4 number may offend your eye, but I think the picture of 67776 going under the bridge is one of the best!

Hope all goes OK at the Golf Club.