Peterborough North

great northern

attachicon.gifcloser.JPG

Moving closer, we get a better look at the Ivatt, and can see that the loco at Platform 3 is a Pacific.

Fascinating. Especially seeing as I've just bought a photo from a (the) large auction site of 43067 standing in Ramsey North in the 50s.

• RMweb Premium

Why does my PC like to show what as waht, ground as gorund and anything as anyhting? Is this just to wind me up? If so, it succeeds. It cannot be the fault of my typing digit, surely?

That has happened to me after my right eye had a little 'do' last year. I did have it checked as it was already on the blink (see what I did there?) and I had not had a TIA according to the Consultant. Gets worse when I'm tired.

Philth

• RMweb Premium

That has happened to me after my right eye had a little 'do' last year. I did have it checked as it was already on the blink (see what I did there?) and I had not had a TIA according to the Consultant. Gets worse when I'm tired.

Philth

In my case Phil, I suspect it is my mind getting ahead of my typing digit, or possibly my over ambitious attempts to use two digits at the same time. Am I alone though in finding the classic Qwerty keyboard to be somewhat less than intuitive?

• RMweb Gold

In my case Phil, I suspect it is my mind getting ahead of my typing digit, or possibly my over ambitious attempts to use two digits at the same time. Am I alone though in finding the classic Qwerty keyboard to be somewhat less than intuitive?

In the days when people paid me to use a word-processor, I became aware that, like you, I had certain everyday words I habitually misspelt. I found that putting those misspellings in the custom dictionary and giving the correct spelling for autocorrection, ensured I was not bothered by them again.

This cannot, of course, prevent the mistakes like form instead of from, because you might want to use either word.

Sometimes technology gets confused and thrown out of kilter and nothing more so than computer key boards. Mine even types over what I've already written, it doesn't regonise English grammar whilst it overwhelmingly favours the American take on the English language instead - just check 'recognise' and 'favours' back there for example and the Cap Lock has a life of its own; mind you, bacon butty fallout and remnants of custard creams doesn't help  much either and, as for spilled soup and jam.... well.

Oh, and the derailed loco, Gilbert. Nothing unusual on the prototype so why not the model ? Terrific shot anyway and I like it even if nobody else does !

Allan

• Like 4

Aiming my typing digit with great deliberation, I shall now describe this morning's pictures. For some reason 02s have always been high on my list of priorities, right from the time in the early 70s when I returned to the hobby. I recall more than one attempt at a Nucast kit, and being able to get them to look quite nice, but never to get them to run as they should. That may have had something to do with the deficiencies of the kit, as well as my own. Anyway, now I have some lovely models that do run well, and so when one appears the camera dwells on it.

attachicon.giftango 3.JPG

The camera also likes looking at B17s, and so it swung round after getting that 02 shot, and saw this.

attachicon.gifB17 2.JPG

Just before going on hols to Devon I dropped my trusty iPhone out of the pocket of my motorcycle jacket,  and it promptly got run over by a very large lorry necessitating its urgent replacement.

What arrived at our caravan site is Apple's latest, boasting a massively good camera which I had to try out.

So mooching down to Kingswear I anticipated perhaps a Grange, a Manor, or even a Castle. At worst perhaps we might witness a BR standard making a spirited attempt at the Devon Banks, but when I heard the distinctive Pish Tush of something very like a Westinghouse in the background I really began to be suspicious.

Lo and behold got round the corner to see this beauty sitting at the head of a long rake of odd-coloured carriages and a big red noisy box.

post-10395-0-66862700-1499249420_thumb.jpg

Turns out the rather smart looking pacific does this run several times a year with well-fed passengers enjoying the trip. The Big Red Noisy Box has been known to assist with the climb as well.

Anyway, the reason for the post wasn't to boast  about the new phone's photographic abilities, which are awesome BTW, but another excellent feature it has- You can dictate to it - bit like the old days of a having a P.a., and the text appears on screen by magic. - No double digits any longer!

One fascinating aspect of the camera is that it records a few milliseconds before the actual shutter closes, so you can get some weird effects, but that's not for this forum!

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Could some body please explain the tilted  box in the derailed B17 photo ?

Not for a moment am I suggesting that it's wrong but what is it and what does it do ?

Thanks.

Allan.

That is a fogman's hut, Allan. They were stored like this when not in use, though this one has I think got knocked a little askew.

Could some body please explain the tilted  box in the derailed B17 photo ?

Not for a moment am I suggesting that it's wrong but what is it and what does it do ?

Thanks.

Allan.

I remember Gilbert telling us that they were tilted like that in the 1:1 world to prevent them getting wet and cruddy inside. But have forgotten what they were for - something to do with when there was poor visibility.

Edit - already answered by Gilbert so disregard my rambling :scratchhead:

Edited by The Blue Streak

• RMweb Premium

Just before going on hols to Devon I dropped my trusty iPhone out of the pocket of my motorcycle jacket,  and it promptly got run over by a very large lorry necessitating its urgent replacement.

What arrived at our caravan site is Apple's latest, boasting a massively good camera which I had to try out.

So mooching down to Kingswear I anticipated perhaps a Grange, a Manor, or even a Castle. At worst perhaps we might witness a BR standard making a spirited attempt at the Devon Banks, but when I heard the distinctive Pish Tush of something very like a Westinghouse in the background I really began to be suspicious.

Lo and behold got round the corner to see this beauty sitting at the head of a long rake of odd-coloured carriages and a big red noisy box.

attachicon.gifIMG_0025.jpg

Turns out the rather smart looking pacific does this run several times a year with well-fed passengers enjoying the trip. The Big Red Noisy Box has been known to assist with the climb as well.

Anyway, the reason for the post wasn't to boast  about the new phone's photographic abilities, which are awesome BTW, but another excellent feature it has- You can dictate to it - bit like the old days of a having a P.a., and the text appears on screen by magic. - No double digits any longer!

One fascinating aspect of the camera is that it records a few milliseconds before the actual shutter closes, so you can get some weird effects, but that's not for this forum!

I think that smelly red and yellow thing was 'insurance' or Thunderbird as '163 had failed its FTR (Clack Valve problem and we all know about faulty valves at our age) on the way down (that's what I was told anyway). 

• RMweb Premium

In the days when people paid me to use a word-processor, I became aware that, like you, I had certain everyday words I habitually misspelt. I found that putting those misspellings in the custom dictionary and giving the correct spelling for autocorrection, ensured I was not bothered by them again.

This cannot, of course, prevent the mistakes like form instead of from, because you might want to use either word.

Thanks Ian. I've found out how to enable that now on my ordinary documents,"Word" it used to be called, but can it be done on here too? If so, I'd appreciate a tutorial, as I have no idea where to start.

• RMweb Premium

I think that smelly red and yellow thing was 'insurance' or Thunderbird as '163 had failed its FTR (Clack Valve problem and we all know about faulty valves at our age) on the way down (that's what I was told anyway). 

Wasn't Tornado required to have a slightly differently shaped red box thingy  on the outward leg of its 100mph trial? I can't remember the reason given, but isn't it now common prartice that steam isn't allowed on the national system on its own any more?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ian. I've found out how to enable that now on my ordinary documents,"Word" it used to be called, but can it be done on here too? If so, I'd appreciate a tutorial, as I have no idea where to start.

I think your PC holds the key to auto-correct, Gilbert. I am a Mac-user these days, so am unable to be helpful about precise actions. I can see how I might set it up for myself, but if you use Windows as most people do, then any advice would be irrelevant. 

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't Tornado required to have a slightly differently shaped red box thingy  on the outward leg of its 100mph trial? I can't remember the reason given, but isn't it now common prartice that steam isn't allowed on the national system on its own any more?

Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. No idea why. Thornando often has 11/12 on with no diseasel in sight. On the trial night/morning it had a box thingy for operational purposes AFAIK. Graham of Grantham will know why! I'm still amazed that steam is let loose on the ECML at all, especially weekdays. We are lucky.

Philth

• RMweb Gold

I have been enjoying the plethora of B17 shots of late, so I'm glad the camera has a fondness for them, and the O2s are not half bad either, especially grubby ones!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Hi Gilbert

I wonder if I could use your thread for some information as you have such a large LNER following.

I am trying to locate some 4mm scale side cab window screens, the ones that are 90 degrees to the cab side of the locomotive and is located between the two cab side windows.

Some time ago on one of the threads I saw that someone produced a brass etch for them but cannot find any information now.

Also if anyone know if any AWS bang plates are also available that would be helpful as well.

I know BrassMaster have them in their locomotive detailing kits but do not really want to spend six or seven pounds per kit just to use the AWS bang plate and I need five of them in total.

I hope you do not mind me asking.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

It was Morgan Gilbert who produced the etches as I had a couple from him. I can't for the life of me remember his username on here - 45537? Ii's a Jubilee, I'm almost certain.

'tis me.....45609.....Gilbert and Ellice Islands, obviously or perhaps not.  Which Jubilee is 45537 then JW?  I think you've been sniffing too much of the Doncaster green paint again  It's actually a Patriot. Private E. Sykes V.C.

cheers....Morgan