Peterborough North

great northern

I remember having to rub the dirt and grime off cab side numbers, Gilbert when I worked as a cleaner in the Cricklewood Yards. I also had to repaint the embossed numbers n the front of the smoke box door so, nothing unusual there.

Allan

Edited by allan downes

Hi Gilbert

I do hope you do not think I am trying to gate crash your thread.

I think it was Phil (Mallard60022) who suggested making AWS Bang Plates out of Plasticard, So I had a go and here is the result and how it was achieved.

I used 0.4mm thick Plasticard cut into 5.5mm wide strips.

i then using a scalpel cut a thin line across 1mm down from the top and carefully lifted the plasticard one way only to form a crease and put a slight angle to top half of the plate, if you bend it the other way it would snap in two.

Then I measured down 5mm and cut the plasticard to form a rectangle 5.5mm x 6mm.

On the back of the plate using a cocktail stick I put a small smear of superglue into the crease to make it rigid and hold its shape.

Then I painted to lower section in a mixture of Gunmetal and  Matt Leather and the top section Red to match the buffer beam as this will be glued onto the face go the buffer beam behind the 3 Link Screw Coupling so you won't see much of it anyway.

I hope the above makes sense and enclose a few photos for any comments, please bear in mind these were a first attempt just to see if plasticard would work and Phil was correct.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-84990000-1499534231_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-49602500-1499534253_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-64394600-1499534270_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 8

Hi Gilbert this one is for you.

Following on from the Water Crane Hose issue, I purchased some Hobby Straws of Ebay.

They are various diameters but roughly all around 4mm Dia give or take a tiny amount, they are made from maze I believe and are classified as natural and are very light brown in colour.

They are very brittle and any rough handling they will probably split very easy.

I sprayed them with a grey primer then painted carefully with a brush again with a mixture of Humbrol 27004 Gunmetal and No 62 Matt leather.

Cut one to size and that was not easy as there was a small split at the top and glued to the Water Crane.

As I have said I am not sure how durable they will be so I only made up one.

Photo enclosed for any comments please, personally I think they do not look to bad.

If you do think they are OK I would be happy to paint some up and send them to you, If you think they are rubbish just say so.

Photo enclosed.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-40073100-1499535394_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

I think it was Phil (Mallard60022) who suggested making AWS Bang Plates out of Plasticard, So I had a go and here is the result and how it was achieved.

i then using a scalpel cut a thin line across 1mm down from the top and carefully lifted the plasticard one way only to form a crease and put a slight angle to top half of the plate, if you bend it the other way it would snap in two.

Then I measured down 5mm and cut the plasticard to form a rectangle 5.5mm x 6mm.

On the back of the plate using a cocktail stick I put a small smear of superglue into the crease to make it rigid and hold its shape.

Then I painted to lower section in a mixture of Gunmetal and  Matt Leather and the top section Red to match the buffer beam as this will be glued onto the face go the buffer beam behind the 3 Link Screw Coupling so you won't see much of it anyway.

I hope the above makes sense and enclose a few photos for any comments, please bear in mind these were a first attempt just to see if plasticard would work and Phil was correct.

Regards

David

Thank you very much for doing that David. I'm sure many folk will be advised by that; I certainly shall. The plates are not so prominant on SR Loco's AFAIK. :scratchhead:

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

Regards

David

It's a thread about modelling after all David, and I find this very interesting, as I know others will too. Keep it coming.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert this one is for you.

Following on from the Water Crane Hose issue, I purchased some Hobby Straws of Ebay.

They are various diameters but roughly all around 4mm Dia give or take a tiny amount, they are made from maze I believe and are classified as natural and are very light brown in colour.

They are very brittle and any rough handling they will probably split very easy.

I sprayed them with a grey primer then painted carefully with a brush again with a mixture of Humbrol 27004 Gunmetal and No 62 Matt leather.

Cut one to size and that was not easy as there was a small split at the top and glued to the Water Crane.

As I have said I am not sure how durable they will be so I only made up one.

Photo enclosed for any comments please, personally I think they do not look to bad.

If you do think they are OK I would be happy to paint some up and send them to you, If you think they are rubbish just say so.

Photo enclosed.

Regards

David

That is a great improvement David, I've not been happy with most of mine for ages, and your kind offer is very welcome.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Duties done at the Club, a pleasant afternoon spent watching the Test match on TV. OK, it was a bit slow, but good all the same. Then I noticed something on Sky Arts channel, and spent a very happy two and a half hours watching and listening to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in concert. A perfect end to the day!

Here is a shadowy L1. Well there isn't actually, as I get "Error, this upload failed".  I think it must be a site problem, so it will have to wait till later.

• Like 1

That is a great improvement David, I've not been happy with most of mine for ages, and your kind offer is very welcome.

There was a debate about this a few years ago on another thread that I took part in. Essentially it discussed the shape of the hose most of the time as they weren't in use and tended to be quite flat when hanging rather than round. I now use tissue paper soaked in PVA. My latest attempt is part of the world's smallest loco depot on Pott Row and based on Upwell but I also can't upload photos at the moment.

There was a debate about this a few years ago on another thread that I took part in. Essentially it discussed the shape of the hose most of the time as they weren't in use and tended to be quite flat when hanging rather than round. I now use tissue paper soaked in PVA. My latest attempt is part of the world's smallest loco depot on Pott Row and based on Upwell but I also can't upload photos at the moment.

Hi

Would be very interested to see any photos you have.

These hobby straws can be press so they are not circular but you run the risk that they may split.

Regards

David

Hi Gilbert

I would be more than happy to send what ever you need to you.

Can you please PM me your home address, also As you were kind enough to let me have some of your SS26 Great Northern Water Cranes I know the diameter of them for the hose fixing.

As they are quite brittle can I suggest you let me know how many you require and what length you would like the hoses to be and I will cut them before painting them that way theres a much better chance of them not getting damaged.

Also if you have any other styles of water carne that need hoses again let me know how many and the hose length you require.

If the other style of water cranes are also from Mikes Models lit would be helpful to have their reference numbers so I can see what size diameter they are where the hose will be fixed.

I will send them to you ASAP.

Regards

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Round where attached to the metal pipe and then falling naturally flat the further they got away from the pipe.  This can almost be seen - although considerably hidden by a proper job engine - in my picture posted in post No.61 in the thread linked here (click on the pic to enlarge for a better view of what little of the pipe can be seen) -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/123202-oxford-2017-announce-oxford-structures/page-3

In the very early 1960s - possibly a little earlier(?) - the bags (as the flexible pipes were called) on some WR water cranes were replaced with large diameter tubular rubber pipes which were less flexible and harder to handle than the earlier bags - which I think were probably leather - but retained their round shapes.

Hi

Would be very interested to see any photos you have.

These hobby straws can be press so they are not circular but you run the risk that they may split.

Regards

David

This is a cruel close up as the colour still isn't right  and the hose needs trimming around the top of the crane but you get the idea. I think it is made of a single ply of (unused) toilet paper!!!!! Glued on, soaked with PVA then painted with washes when dry though this area isn't finished. Possibly the hose still isn't hanging quite right.

The water crane and tower behind are scratchbuilt from bits of brass and the composition is loosely based on the tiny depot at Upwell. I couldn't recreate the water tower because it used an old tender body on a substantial wooden frame and may even have been two originally, I didn't have room so built something smaller. Hope it is of interest.

post-12773-0-47126600-1499608747_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Round where attached to the metal pipe and then falling naturally flat the further they got away from the pipe.  This can almost be seen - although considerably hidden by a proper job engine - in my picture posted in post No.61 in the thread linked here (click on the pic to enlarge for a better view of what little of the pipe can be seen) -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/123202-oxford-2017-announce-oxford-structures/page-3

In the very early 1960s - possibly a little earlier(?) - the bags (as the flexible pipes were called) on some WR water cranes were replaced with large diameter tubular rubber pipes which were less flexible and harder to handle than the earlier bags - which I think were probably leather - but retained their round shapes.

This is a proper job droopy old bag.3090000000039.jpg

It's the bag not the column that looks good in this........

Sytrex model.

• Like 7

Anyone remember the old black electrician's insulating tape, cloth based and sticky? Nowadays vinyl tape is the norm of course. The old tape made wonderful bags for water columns, and I know I have some somewhere.....

Masking tape might be an alternative?

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Those who have been paying attention will recall that there was a 9F hauled parcels at Platform 6, eventually destined for York. After quite a long stay, it is now able to pull away.

post-98-0-59385600-1499633996_thumb.jpg

First with authentic duck egg blue wall background.

post-98-0-36027900-1499634076_thumb.jpg

and then slightly further on, this time with photoshopped plain background, and slightly muted colours. Something to cater for all tastes, you see.

• Like 15

This is a proper job droopy old bag.3090000000039.jpg

It's the bag not the column that looks good in this........

Sytrex model.

My version is cheaper and more absorbent!

Edited by mullie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

Regards

David

Something that isn't always realised about these 'bang plates' is that they weren't always fitted centrally on the buffer beam; on pictures I've seen of LNER Pacifics fitted with them, they're off set to the right (as you face the loco), to be clear of the vacuum standpipe where it passes under the buffer beam.

Sorry David!!

Something that isn't always realised about these 'bang plates' is that they weren't always fitted centrally on the buffer beam; on pictures I've seen of LNER Pacifics fitted with them, they're off set to the right (as you face the loco), to be clear of the vacuum standpipe where it passes under the buffer beam.

Sorry David!!

Hi 

Thank you for the information, it isn't a problem as I have not fitted any of them yet.

I do not doubt what you say but looking at most of the photos I have of Thompson's A2/3's Pacific's which these are intended for the AWS bang plate does look as though it is fitted centrally.

The vacuum pipe is off centre to the left of the buffer beam, but photo angles can be deceiving.

Regards

David 

• RMweb Premium

Try looking at some head on (or almost) views - the coupling doesn't hang in the middle of the plate.  Just quickly looking at "LNER Pacifics in Colour" (Derek Penney) because it happens to be at hand, admittedly most of the pictures in the book which show this are of A3s or Peppercorn Pacifics, for example, 60081 (p48) and 60530 (p79).  But it seems to be also the case on A2/3 60522 on p72 of the same book.

• RMweb Premium

The Duck rushes upstairs to look at his Book of the A2 Pacifics...........yes, he has that volume, do not ask why except that it was related to a few kits once planned for building and partly built before sense prevailed and that shocking idea was shelved.

:nono:

• RMweb Gold

Anyone remember the old black electrician's insulating tape, cloth based and sticky? Nowadays vinyl tape is the norm of course. The old tap made wonderful bags for water columns, and I know I have some somewhere.....

Masking tape might be an alternative?

Stewart

The cloth based duct tape would look very similar, stick it to itself and it could easily be cut to resemble a flat hose.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another meeting today, but at least this one will give me some idea of what we are up against at the forthcoming General meeting. Later today, I will either be in very good humour, or not, as the case may be.

We see a lot of pictures of station pilots resting in the sun, but here is one doing some work. The L1's next duty is not too far away, so it has been excused the task of removing its stock, and the N5 is doing that instead.

post-98-0-73714600-1499675337_thumb.jpg

It is heading down to Nene sidings, but I'm wondering now if that would be correct. This rake runs KX- Hitchin, has a rest, runs on as the 2.45 as far as here, has another rest, then forms a Grantham local in a couple of hours time, and finally, after yet another rest, heads off to Nottingham. Where would it have been stabled during the layover at PN? It can't occupy any of the Down platforms, as all are needed in the meantime. It could go to the Up carriage sidings, but that means a fair bit of blocking of the main lines both in getting it there, and getting it back across to the Down side later. Maybe Nene sidings would be the best option after all.

Right, what's next? The Up and Down Harwich services run within a few minutes of each other, giving the prospect of two B17s in close succession. Today it is two footballers, as we see Tottenham Hotspur standing at Platform 6 with the Down arrival, while a J6 runs through on the Up main.

post-98-0-83709400-1499675962_thumb.jpg

• Like 17