Peterborough North

great northern

G'Day Gents

With the (engine) Flying Scotsman being seem all over the country and being, what, 94 years old, how many engine crew, would have driven the FS, Hundreds, if not thousand's, prep crews crews on engine movements, crews who took the loco on the mainline, crews who disposed of the loco, and that would be in one year, over her life it would be many many thousands, I can't say I drove FS, can't say I've ever been on her footplate, but I can say I've brought the empty stock in from Hornsey (or Bounds Green) 5S17.  :sungum:

manna

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

G'Day Gents

With the (engine) Flying Scotsman being seem all over the country and being, what, 94 years old, how many engine crew, would have driven the FS, Hundreds, if not thousand's, prep crews crews on engine movements, crews who took the loco on the mainline, crews who disposed of the loco, and that would be in one year, over her life it would be many many thousands, I can't say I drove FS, can't say I've ever been on her footplate, but I can say I've brought the empty stock in from Hornsey (or Bounds Green) 5S17.  :sungum:

manna

That is a very good point, but when the person alleged to have done it turns out to have been a fireman at, for example, Langwith Junction in the 50s, let alone on the Midland round Nottingham, a degree of scepticism does creep in.

Tonight we just have two different angles on Silver Fox emerging from under the roof.

attachicon.gif17 2.JPG

attachicon.gif17 3.JPG

More photos to be taken tomorrow, I hope.

Morning Gilbert 

Nice photos as usual, can I please make one comment without offending you.

i think the A4 would look better with the Draincock Cylinder Pipes fitted, but that is just my own opinion.

Also I would again like to thank you for kindly donating your spare water cranes and parts to me for Haymarket.

I have since order the remaining ones I need from Mike's Models or Holt Models (still not sure which name is correct).

These are now all made up and ready for a coat of primer, I must say they are superb models.

The only issue is the water hoses that comes with them, I am not happy with these at all and looking for alternatives if possible or maybe to make my own if anyone has any ideas.

I will put a photo of them on the web once fully painted and in their correct position outside the main running shed.

Again many thanks to you for a very kind gesture.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

• RMweb Premium

Morning Gilbert 

Nice photos as usual, can I please make one comment without offending you.

i think the A4 would look better with the Draincock Cylinder Pipes fitted, but that is just my own opinion.

Also I would again like to thank you for kindly donating your spare water cranes and parts to me for Haymarket.

I have since order the remaining ones I need from Mike's Models or Holt Models (still not sure which name is correct).

These are now all made up and ready for a coat of primer, I must say they are superb models.

The only issue is the water hoses that comes with them, I am not happy with these at all and looking for alternatives if possible or maybe to make my own if anyone has any ideas.

I will put a photo of them on the web once fully painted and in their correct position outside the main running shed.

Again many thanks to you for a very kind gesture.

Regards

David

Silver Fox belonged to Dave Shakespeare, David, and came to me like this. It seems he may have, like me, tired of constantly refitting the ***** things, which seem to fall off if you look at them. Getting the front bogie on track is the easiest way of dislodging them, and I seem to spend a lot of time trying to do that, so I have a box full "awaiting fixing". 

The water cranes were originally Mike's models, but Holt now seem to own the range, so I think would now be the correct description. I agree about the hoses, but I haven't yet come up with anything more convincing, either. I shall look forward to seeing my spares doing something useful, rather than occupying space for which I can find better use. And now i must stop prevaricating, and get up to the layout.

• RMweb Premium

Re. the water 'bags' for the cranes. I found some arty style softish paper straws in a Sure Start Centre I worked in. I suspect they would be available on line or in a decent Crafty/Arty shop. I think they look about the right 'scale' and are quite pliable. Where mine are is another matter...........sorry.

I shall try to find a link.

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/artstraws-large/560353-1000

These don't look like the wider ones but illustrates what I mean.

Philth

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Re. the water 'bags' for the cranes. I found some arty style softish paper straws in a Sure Start Centre I worked in. I suspect they would be available on line or in a decent Cratfy /Arty shop. I think they look about the right 'scale' and are quite pliable. Where mine are is another matter...........sorry.

Philth

Didn't we all use bootlaces in the good old days?

Silver Fox belonged to Dave Shakespeare, David, and came to me like this. It seems he may have, like me, tired of constantly refitting the ***** things, which seem to fall off if you look at them. Getting the front bogie on track is the easiest way of dislodging them, and I seem to spend a lot of time trying to do that, so I have a box full "awaiting fixing". 

The water cranes were originally Mike's models, but Holt now seem to own the range, so I think would now be the correct description. I agree about the hoses, but I haven't yet come up with anything more convincing, either. I shall look forward to seeing my spares doing something useful, rather than occupying space for which I can find better use. And now i must stop prevaricating, and get up to the layout.

hi Gilbert

I know exactly what you mean regarding the fitting of draincocks, I now re-drill out the existing holes using a Pin Vice with a 0.7mm drill before fitting and that works OK.

Just given the water cranes a coat of Halford Grey Primer and in the next few days will paint them in a top coat, I'm thinking of using a Gunmetal 27004 with a small mixture of Matt Leather No 62 just for variation but I want them to look to have metallic finish then weather them.

Photos to follow.

Regards 

David

Re. the water 'bags' for the cranes. I found some arty style softish paper straws in a Sure Start Centre I worked in. I suspect they would be available on line or in a decent Cratfy /Arty shop. I think they look about the right 'scale' and are quite pliable. Where mine are is another matter...........sorry.

Philth

Hi Mallard

Thanks for the information I will investigate but they look as though they may be just what I'm looking for.

Regards

David

• Like 1

@david

Didn't read your last post properly- I thought you were thinking about hanging a shoe off the frame - not the lace.

Would make a fairly interesting conversation piece though- suggesting some had one too many wee libations perhaps?

• Like 1

Hi Gilbert

As promised I enclose a photo of your Water Cranes sitting proudly out side Haymarket Shed, hope you do not mind me posting on your thread.

I still have weathering to do to them, and fit the water hoses and stand pipes which still need painting.

At present they are just sitting on the cork finish, they will need to be bedded in by about 3mm deep.

I have ordered some Art Straws for the hoses they are a natural colour, plyable and 4mm in diameter which should just about to the correct size, I will let you know what they are like.

If any good I will post some to you as I had to order 100 in a pack and only need about 10.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-73422100-1499087958_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Tasty cranes. Just recently I have seen a thread on here (can't remember which one) that shows some 3d printed Telegraph Poles (like the Beast on PN) and Water Cranes of this type. Think they may be available from Shapeways but someone from a club up north actually produces them; does Mr Welleans know who it is, or Graham of Grantham?

The poles look a damn site finer than my efforts.

Duck's Ar$e

Tasty cranes. Just recently I have seen a thread on here (can't remember which one) that shows some 3d printed Telegraph Poles (like the Beast on PN) and Water Cranes of this type. Think they may be available from Shapeways but someone from a club up north actually produces them; does Mr Welleans know who it is, or Graham of Grantham?

Duck's Ar$e

Nothing wrong with those Scratchbuilt poles you made Phil. We love the Beast.

But are these the 3d printed poles you mean http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64295-wright-writes/?p=2768578

• RMweb Premium

Nothing wrong with those Scratchbuilt poles you made Phil. We love the Beast.

But are these the 3d printed poles you mean http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64295-wright-writes/?p=2768578

Oh yes, that's the ones. I think they look brilliant. Really 'fine'. I'm impressed with this printer thingy. I'm told they are experimenting with replacement body parts using 3D printing; Star Trek stuff.

Phil

Oh yes, that's the ones. I think they look brilliant. Really 'fine'. I'm impressed with this printer thingy. I'm told they are experimenting with replacement body parts using 3D printing; Star Trek stuff.

Phil

Hmmm - so if this technology is as brilliant as it appears to be - could possibly clone a Certain duck?

• Like 1

I believe Gilbert has some Platform lamps which were 3d printed and they also have really fine detail.

Perhaps the day will come when a 3d printer is as much a part of a railway modellers tool kit as what a craft knife or glue is in ours today. :O

Edited by The Blue Streak

I believe Gilbert has some Platform lamps which were 3d printed and they also have really fine detail.

Perhaps the day will come when a 3d printer is as much a part of a railway modellers tool kit as what a craft knife or glue is in ours today. :O

Hi

I also believe that the new much better scale locomotive lamps from LMS ( Lanarkshire Model Supplies ) are also 3D printed as well.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

I do, and very fine they are, but nowhere near as robust as my lovely poles, which can stand a bit of accidental abuse, whereas the lamps don't like it at all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not all that good with technology, but I wonder if we still have some further development to do with 3D printing before it can be as good as wood or metal? I prefer woods and metals for the moment when modelling. Plastic card too.

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Duck's Ar$e

Chapel-en-le-Frith by Leeds MRS - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81633-chapel-en-le-frith/page-9&do=findComment&comment=2768590

Barry O is your point of contact.

Edit - I must learn to read to the end of the thread before replying. Sorry Ted.

Edited by St Enodoc