Standard 4 mystery part

BSG75

Maybe compare photos of the tender online.

Mind you at least you know which loco it might be off (I received a spare drive shaft with a new Bachmann EMU once, clearly if it had been one that fallen off, then the model would not move).

FWIW I have a collection of spare bits found on the layout over the years with absolutely no idea where they came from. 

2 hours ago, JSpencer said:

FWIW I have a collection of spare bits found on the layout over the years with absolutely no idea where they came from. 

Me too 😀. Then frantic activity to find where they came from resulting in more disappearing bits. The OPs picture looks like it might be off the tender chassis. 

• Like 1

It does look like it might represent a strum box (water filter) that hung on the the tender frame of BR standards

2 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Mind you at least you know which loco it might be off (I received a spare drive shaft with a new Bachmann EMU once, clearly if it had been one that fallen off, then the model would not move).

Quite wonderful what extras are sometimes in the packaging. Bachmann were the champions at this, spare screws included with wagons a notable strength back in the day.

As for the parts fallen off, an improving situation in RTR I feel; pieces showering off the more detailed RTR up to 2010, easing off after then, near drought now.

• Like 1

hi all

it looks like the A,W.S protection plate on the front buffer beam

oldemte

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/03/2024 at 13:15, oldemte said:

hi all

it looks like the A,W.S protection plate on the front buffer beam

oldemte

Both of my examples are 2nd hand so can't say definitively but I don't think the Std 4 comes with a bang plate 

• RMweb Gold

Is it this box on the tender frame between the 1st and 2nd axles? There's on on each side of mine.

4MT.jpg.c5c38cb76590d209e98c0d573f5ac17a.jpg

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, RFS said:

Is it this box on the tender frame between the 1st and 2nd axles? There's on on each side of mine.

4MT.jpg.c5c38cb76590d209e98c0d573f5ac17a.jpg

As above that's the sieve box

16 hours ago, PhilH said:

As above that's the sieve box

This was one of the clever ideas adopted for the BR Standards. It meant that it wasn’t necessary to drain the entire tender to clean the filters. No-one realised that during winter, the large body of water in the tender resisted freezing overnight but the small amount of water in the sieve boxes would freeze. 

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

This was one of the clever ideas adopted for the BR Standards. It meant that it wasn’t necessary to drain the entire tender to clean the filters. No-one realised that during winter, the large body of water in the tender resisted freezing overnight but the small amount of water in the sieve boxes would freeze. 

That's why the whole bottom of the box is a flap that can be undone and opened so the box drains. When we were carrying out frost protection on standard locomotives on the Mid Hants this was part of the procedure.

Edited by PhilH
  • Informative/Useful 2