Identify a Colliery

I have received word from Mike Williams, who is preparing the "bible" on Scottish Traders' Wagons, picking up from the work of others.  The first volume is, I think, due out later this year or next year, in conjunction with the Caledonian Railway Association.

Anyway, enough of the plug.  Mike confirms that it's the Eddlewood Colliery according to the RY Pickering order book.  Eddlewood Colliery was purchased in 1896 by John Watson, by the way.  All this and a whole lot more will be revealed in the first volume of Scottish Traders' Wagons.  

There were two Co-ops in Brechin - the Brechin Equitable and the United Co-operative Association, Brechin which merged in 1913 to form the Brechin United Cooperative Society Ltd.

I doubt that the CR got much coal from Fife, as it was a NBR stronghold.  Most coal would come from Lanarkshire, a CR stronghold

Also some pits round Stirling eg  Plean (Moyes, Murray & Co), Bannockburn Coal Co, Alloa Coal Co, Polmaise, Fallin & Millhall (Archibald Russell & Co).  Output in the Stirling area alone was over 200,000 tons at the turn of the century.  Info from the late Donald Peddie's book, The Railways of Stirling.   https://www.crassoc.org.uk/web/books

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, duncan said:

I have received word from Mike Williams, who is preparing the "bible" on Scottish Traders' Wagons, picking up from the work of others.  The first volume is, I think, due out later this year or next year, in conjunction with the Caledonian Railway Association.

Anyway, enough of the plug.  Mike confirms that it's the Eddlewood Colliery according to the RY Pickering order book.  Eddlewood Colliery was purchased in 1896 by John Watson, by the way.  All this and a whole lot more will be revealed in the first volume of Scottish Traders' Wagons.  

There were two Co-ops in Brechin - the Brechin Equitable and the United Co-operative Association, Brechin which merged in 1913 to form the Brechin United Cooperative Society Ltd.

I doubt that the CR got much coal from Fife, as it was a NBR stronghold.  Most coal would come from Lanarkshire, a CR stronghold

Also some pits round Stirling eg  Plean (Moyes, Murray & Co), Bannockburn Coal Co, Alloa Coal Co, Polmaise, Fallin & Millhall (Archibald Russell & Co).  Output in the Stirling area alone was over 200,000 tons at the turn of the century.  Info from the late Donald Peddie's book, The Railways of Stirling.   https://www.crassoc.org.uk/web/books

Brilliant, thanks Duncan. Please pass on my thanks to Mike @ CRA and keep us updated on when the first volume of that book on Scottish Traders is out!

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I thought someone over there would know.

It's a bit like asking GWR enthusiasts about South Wales coal wagons, it's probably common knowledge to some of them, yet a minefield for the rest of us.

Jason

South Wales coal wagons? Who'd have thought they existed in any significant numbers!