Identify a Colliery

• RMweb Gold

This is a long shot, but I wonder if anyone could help identify the colliery named on this wagon? Its frustrating, because the "Return to" and "Colliery" bits are so clear! The wagon was owned by the Brechin United Co-Operative Society, and the photo is dated to 1900. 

I think it might be a two word name, possibly with an '&' in there as well, but I cant seem to find a colliery (at least in Scotland) with this form of name. 

Does anyone have better eyesight than me?

Wagon cropped.jpg

6 minutes ago, JohnR said:

This is a long shot, but I wonder if anyone could help identify the colliery named on this wagon? Its frustrating, because the "Return to" and "Colliery" bits are so clear! The wagon was owned by the Brechin United Co-Operative Society, and the photo is dated to 1900. 

I think it might be a two word name, possibly with an '&' in there as well, but I cant seem to find a colliery (at least in Scotland) with this form of name. 

Does anyone have better eyesight than me?

Wagon cropped.jpg

-----wood? Could be Earlswood Colliery, but that's in South Wales.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I had assumed a Scottish colliery, but of course it could be elsewhere. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

If the source is a published photo see if there's a photo credit. If it's one of the photo libraries, HMRS etc you may be able to approach them directly for a higher resolution copy, possibly just of that lettering. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Wheatley said:

If the source is a published photo see if there's a photo credit. If it's one of the photo libraries, HMRS etc you may be able to approach them directly for a higher resolution copy, possibly just of that lettering. 

Thanks - this is the best copy the HMRS can provide. 

3 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

As always, it's worth considering the type of coal ..... the Co-Op would have wanted good household coal ( rather than stem coal, coking coal, anthracite ) - was that available in Fife ?

3 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

As always, it's worth considering the type of coal ..... the Co-Op would have wanted good household coal ( rather than stem coal, coking coal, anthracite ) - was that available in Fife ?

The fact that the wagon was to be returned to a specific colliery suggests that the co op had a long term deal with this particular mine. Perhaps held shares? This would add weight to the argument for the colliery being local to Brechin.

If this co op were aiming to source coal from outside the local area it might be more likely to be delivered in the colliery owners wagons on an ad hoc basis as the co op took advantage of best prices available at that time. When I get a little time I might have a look through the Powsides catalogue for other co op societies and see if any of those are tied to a particular colliery.

You are right of course about the different types of coal. Research on our Selby project has revealed that the price of a ton of coal to the customer could vary by over 50% depending on the nature of the coal supplied.

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, doilum said:

When I get a little time I might have a look through the Powsides catalogue for other co op societies and see if any of those are tied to a particular colliery.

I've got a fair few limited edition Bachmann Co-op wagons (NRM + Warley etc), I shall see where there are returned to, none however (AFAIK) are Scots.

On 19/03/2024 at 12:41, Paul H Vigor said:

I tend to agree. 

Could be Waleswood which was in Rotherham ISTR.

Almost certainly ends with "wood" which doesn't really seem very Scottish as a place name.

Jason

14 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I tend to agree. 

Almost certainly ends with "wood" which doesn't really seem very Scottish as a place name.

Jason

Whitwood? Briggs&co Castleford.

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I tend to agree. 

Jason

The list on the Scottish mining website has the following collieries ending in "wood"

Maxwood (Ayrshire)

Wellwood (Ayrshire)

Knightswood (Dumbarton)

Lingerwood (Edinburgh)

Eddlewood (Lanarkshire)

Haywood (Lanarkshire)

Kirkwood (Lanarkshire)

Milnwood (Lanarkshire)

Westwood (Lanarkshire)

Barrwood (Stirlingshire)

I *think* it might be Eddlewood - if I squint, it looks like it might start with a Big curly E, and possibly have two dds?

7 minutes ago, JohnR said:

The list on the Scottish mining website has the following collieries ending in "wood"

Maxwood (Ayrshire)

Wellwood (Ayrshire)

Knightswood (Dumbarton)

Lingerwood (Edinburgh)

Eddlewood (Lanarkshire)

Haywood (Lanarkshire)

Kirkwood (Lanarkshire)

Milnwood (Lanarkshire)

Westwood (Lanarkshire)

Barrwood (Stirlingshire)

I *think* it might be Eddlewood - if I squint, it looks like it might start with a Big curly E, and possibly have two dds?

Could be Eddlewood, but looks like there is an S in the photo. .

...SWOOD

Jason

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Could be Eddlewood, but looks like there is an S in the photo. .

...SWOOD

Jason

Could very well be a fancy S - I had thought it might be an ampersand, given there seemed to be some space preceding and following it. 

It is named as Eddleswood colliery on the RAILSCOT page, however? https://www.railscot.co.uk/companies/H/Hamilton_and_Strathaven_Railway/

• RMweb Premium

I've had a look at

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

I've got a fair few limited edition Bachmann Co-op wagons (NRM + Warley etc), I shall see where there are returned to, none however (AFAIK) are Scots.

Of my 24 or 25 Bachmann Co-op wagons, only one has a "return to" and that is in the south somewhere

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Might be worth looking up Brechin United Co-op,

Hope for better luck than me.

I did find some pages on Brechin History,  but nowt about Co-op coal wagons.

There was also a Brechin Equitable Co-op! (No connection AFAIK)

My good lady is incredibly short sighted. Without her glasses she can read the washing instructions on a gnats underwear. No definitive answers sadly but she supports the earlier idea of two words and an ampersand. She suggested, without any prompting, that the first word might be “Bute”. I am aware that the Bute fortunes were made in the Welsh valleys.

A really daft question. Are we sure that the Brechin is the one in Scotland?

i entered “ Brechin” into google maps and one option seemed to be for the Wrexham area. Unfortunately it will now only recognise the settlement in Scotland.

Edited by doilum