Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Inappropriate advertising on this site

whart57

This morning I was rather surprised to be presented with a pop up video of pro-Israel propaganda when I logged on to rmweb. I accept that adverts are needed to pay for the service rmweb provides but surely there is appropriate and inappropriate advertising. And a fake news propaganda job seems very inappropriate to me.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Moderators

Please provide a screenshot if it happens again.

Non trade advertising is provided by Google Ads and a video ad producer serving content based on user's browsing and other metrics - we do not have control over that. 

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

17 hours ago, AY Mod said:

user's browsing and other metrics ...

Understood. Sometimes the "other metrics" win the bidding. I had a slew of advertising for holsters for sidearms the other day. Odd and quite unrelated to my browsing. Harmless though. And they have stopped.

Was on the train the other day and sat close to two women conversing in what I knew to be Turkish and within minutes I was receiving ad pop-ups for items but actually in Turkish on my lap-top - can only have been due to my apparently non-active phone picking up their speech  - my goodness aren't THEY just listening all time now 😬

Edited by Southernman46
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

Was on the train the other day and sat close to two women conversing in what I knew to be Turkish and within minutes I was receiving ad pop-ups for items but actually in Turkish on my lap-top - can only have been due to my apparently non-active phone picking up their speech  - my goodness aren't THEY just listening all time now 😬

They do, this is the third recent case of this.

• RMweb Premium

I would recommend the £12 a year option which helps pay for the site and removes ads.

I adblock but i prefer to help fund the site.

• Agree 15
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MJI said:

They do, this is the third recent case of this.

Even more concerning, based on an experience I had during the week, is that THEY may also be able to read your mind. I had been thinking about a scene in the Michael Caine film ‘Harry Brown’ and the next morning, when logging into youtube, the very same scene was first on the list! I’d only thought about it, not discussed it, but there it was.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Funny 4

“And other metrics” I accept and that answers a lot, such as why I keep getting advertising about funeral plans.  But ladies fashion? Come on now, I identify as male. I’m not getting a single advert for power tools ☹️

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

What these 'pushy' adverts do, is actually the reverse, they create 'negative advertising',

anything that is forced on me in this manner is immediately ignored, and even if I want

what they are pushing, I'll seek out a different supplier!

• Agree 15
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, jcm@gwr said:

What these 'pushy' adverts do, is actually the reverse, they create 'negative advertising',

anything that is forced on me in this manner is immediately ignored, and even if I want

Agreed, especially if they feature someone I don't like.

Most of it I can ignore except for the moving/GIF ones.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

I agree, but of course it does suggest an approach for marketing managers - produce advertising spam purporting to be from your competitors so they'll be so p*ssed off they'll buy from you instead!.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I agree, but of course it does suggest an approach for marketing managers - produce advertising spam purporting to be from your competitors so they'll be so p*ssed off they'll buy from you instead!.

I'm guessing that there are fairly strict laws like that, which is why we rarely see anything go beyond "This is 2% better than other leading brands." If they tiptoe around like that it suggests attacking competitors lands you in trouble.

• RMweb Premium
On 23/03/2024 at 09:46, MJI said:

I would recommend the £12 a year option which helps pay for the site and removes ads.

I adblock but i prefer to help fund the site.

I was going to say the same thing, I pay the US Dollar equivalent and use AdBlock+. It is well worth it to support this great fun resource!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

Not on this site but Red Diesel, Care Homes & Ukrainian Women on the same day

Sounds like a reasonable night out to me...

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

I currently have an interesting mix of Simon George  talking in a Digitrains advert overlaid

across a Bonmarche ad in such a way Simon's bottom half is sporting a pair of turquoise womens knickers.....

I suspect the Bonmarche model looks better in them than Simon does. (and no I have absolutely no wish to be proved wrong!) 🤢

Edited by admiles

Meanwhile Facebook has started showing me things from the 'Enoch Powell Appreciation Society'. Bloody hell.

Don’t get me started about Facebook!

Too late….

I’d like to know what madness lies behind their ‘people you may know’ suggestions???

A friend of a friend, someone who lives near me, worked at the same place as me, or some other point of connection, I get that.

But to see long lists of people in countries that I have never been to, living lifestyles that don’t interest me, and those of different socio-what’s it demographics to myself?  
At first I did delete/decline and object to them, now I just don’t waste my time.  In their write-up, Facebook does say that these are based on information about me, but that sometimes they get it wrong. Nah! I think they are just shooting in the dark with a shotgun in the hope of getting a hit.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

40 minutes ago, AyJay said:

I’d like to know what madness lies behind their ‘people you may know’ suggestions???

Sometimes it's uncanny. The day I joined it suggested my dentist's wife.

3 hours ago, AyJay said:

Don’t get me started about Facebook!

Too late….

A friend of a friend, someone who lives near me, worked at the same place as me, or some other point of connection, I get that.

A neighbour recently opened a facebook account and sent me a friend request... why??? he only lives opposite me. 

• Funny 2