Skips on wagons

• Moderators

Found this whilst grazing...

HST

Borails? With untethered skips? The linked pic suggests Stevenage but I'm not convinced.

It's not something I've ever noticed before (or seen modelled) so what sort of traffic is it?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Found this whilst grazing...

HST

Borails? With untethered skips? The linked pic suggests Stevenage but I'm not convinced.

It's not something I've ever noticed before (or seen modelled) so what sort of traffic is it?

For engineers' spoil trains, I believe; saw them around Tyne Yard, in the early 1990s

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

They look pristine so perhaps new ones being delivered from the manufacturer?

Their pristine condition and lack of indication of ownership supports this suggestion.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, AY Mod said:

The linked pic suggests Stevenage but I'm not convinced.

Looks as though it might be at Hitchin (Up train at south end of station)?

• Agree 2

They look to be the same design as the wagons (non - chute) in the Long Welded Rail Trains, indeed the photos on Paul Bartlett's site show wagons with the bridge rail folded in the stowed position. So, are they from disbanded LWRT sets, or were they built with that future use mind for flexibility?

Edit to add that on another look, the machine that worked with them used the rails to shuffle along. Looks to be the same design of rails as the manipulator on the LWRTs run on.

Interesting none the less!

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

Spent a lot of time dumped at Healey Mills in the 1990s

I'm sorry to hear that old chum. But you were too good for her anyway. 

• Funny 6

They were to work with a high output ballast cleaner and a shuttle car took the loaded slips back and forward in the same fashion as the TRT does with pods of new and used sleepers. The only place I know it worked was on the single line at Choppington between Morpeth and Bedlington after the Pit Strike restoring the embankment after coal had been discovered there and dug out!

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

They look pristine so perhaps new ones being delivered from the manufacturer?

They were built in 1981 at Ashford, so if they were new this wasn't the ECML with that electrification. I'm not convinced it is in the sidings south of Hitchin, they gave me the impression of being narrower. So, it is a pity the photo is undated. 

7 hours ago, Cwmtwrch said:

Their pristine condition and lack of indication of ownership supports this suggestion.

Why / how would they have indication of ownership. The photo is how they appeared years later. Mark has described how they were intended to be used, but when I saw them they tended to be individual, or perhaps a pair. 

Paul

PS corrected because I had overlooked electrification to Hitchin was much earlier than the northern part of the ECML, so could easily by new in Hitchin. I never saw any in Hitchin and did go around the engineers yard there irregularly from 1975 to the early 1980s. 

Paul

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brskate

Edited by hmrspaul

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

They were to work with a high output ballast cleaner and a shuttle car took the loaded slips back and forward in the same fashion as the TRT does with pods of new and used sleepers. The only place I know it worked was on the single line at Choppington between Morpeth and Bedlington after the Pit Strike restoring the embankment after coal had been discovered there and dug out!

They were used around Anglia in conjunction with works for electrification in the 80s. As soon as I saw Andy's topic title I knew it was going to be them, fascinating to watch in action.

Andi

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, 31A said:

Looks as though it might be at Hitchin (Up train at south end of station)?

Yes, used to be engineer's sidings there.  Now a housing estate.

HST unusually running slow road. 

The point in the foreground led to the siding where the Huntingdon DMU shittle lived - sidind not electrified and now also no longer there.

Edited by Michael Hodgson

• 3 weeks later...

In a moment of general boredom, I've just reached for my copy of Air Braked Wagons in Colour by D Ratcliffe and what page should i open it at? 

Page 94. 

Upon that page there are two photos of the wagoms

One in action near Kennett and the second of the partly loaded train with a useful view from above  

In use on the Eastern from 1981 till withdrawal in  1995. Used with a ballast cleaner, 22 wagons in total, if the caption is to be believed, numbers DB997801 - 977822

Andy

• Informative/Useful 1