RMweb

Bridge collapse in the US

kevinlms

14 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

At the risk of being accused of more thread drift - at least it would remain upright and you could get a rope round the bows to lift it.

To bring this back on topic, perhaps that's what they should do to refloat the Dali ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

To bring this back on topic, perhaps that's what they should do to refloat the Dali ?

With that name, the ship ought to just unfurl its butterfly-wings and fly away!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Is the Dali actually sunk/grounded? 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Is the Dali actually sunk/grounded? 

No, it just isn't allowed to move, with the remains of the bridge decorating it, because then it might. Certainly many more containers might go overboard.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Just a thought, I wonder where it was? The floor of the lock chamber is "dry" so its got to be the top lock of a staircase for that to be achieved.

Even then it wouldn't be totally dry as there is always leakage through the closed gate.

Maybe it has been dammed to make a dry area for recovery

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Even then it wouldn't be totally dry as there is always leakage through the closed gate.

Maybe it has been dammed to make a dry area for recovery

Not necessarily dammed.  The bottom gate is open, so could be any lock (above the bottom one) of a flight, with the intermediate pound drained through the next lock down.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

Not necessarily dammed.  The bottom gate is open, so could be any lock (above the bottom one) of a flight, with the intermediate pound drained through the next lock down.

What about the pound above, how do you drain that and keep it drained?

Every gate I've seen leaks, some quite badly, normally it doesn't matter as the filling/emptying rates are much higher than the leaks

Maybe to recover the Dali & the bridge remains they should drain Chesapeake Bay?😄

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

45 minutes ago, melmerby said:

What about the pound above, how do you drain that and keep it drained?

Every gate I've seen leaks, some quite badly, normally it doesn't matter as the filling/emptying rates are much higher than the leaks

Maybe to recover the Dali & the bridge remains they should drain Chesapeake Bay?😄

Sorry, wandering off topic again, but no need to drain the pound above.  The upper gate with paddles shut will keep enough water back to keep the water level up.  While the upper gate leaks, the leaks will not exceed the inflow rate to the pound above (well, not normally), and more importantly will be less than the outflow rate from the lock below if the latter has all paddles (and gates, if necessary) open.  Some water may come round the bypass weirs, but again can be dealt with by keeping the gates of the lower lock open.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

That would also save them cost of building a new bridge - they could simply build a new road directly across the bay, and have through traffic running a lot earlier 😁

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

After draining the bay, the biggest, most horrible loss would be the lack of availability of the fresh Bay oysters for "raw oysters on the half-shell"; a Chesapeake Bay delicacy! Not to mention Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs for steaming. Oh, and rock fish, Mmmmm.  Now I am salivating!! 😂

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

After draining the bay, the biggest, most horrible loss would be the lack of availability of the fresh Bay oysters for "raw oysters on the half-shell"; a Chesapeake Bay delicacy! Not to mention Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs for steaming. Oh, and rock fish, Mmmmm.  Now I am salivating!! 😂

Staying off-topic, that reminds me of a t-shirt I bought on my first and only visit to Baltimore:

"Virginia is for lovers

Maryland is for crabs".

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

The Dali itself is probably the bit of the whole sorry mess which will be quite straightforward to sort out. Offload cargo, go to a shipyard and repair. As damage to ships goes there doesn't appear to be anything especially unusual or challenging.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

One of the US sites was reporting that the Dali is holed below the water line, the front section is flooded and the bow is sitting on the river bed.

Couldn't find corroboration elsewhere.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, melmerby said:

One of the US sites was reporting that the Dali is holed below the water line, the front section is flooded and the bow is sitting on the river bed.

Couldn't find corroboration elsewhere.

Yes I have heard similar, two forward compartments flooded, + the weight of the bridge weighing her down firmly grounding her by the bow.  In theory once enough weight is removed she should float again.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile yours truly has been quoted on the matter in everyone’s favourite publication  “Reinsurance News” 🤓 https://www.reinsurancene.ws/high-number-of-cargo-claims-anticipated-from-stuck-vessels-following-baltimore-bridge-collapse/

Got a couple of follow up interviews tomorrow, watch this space for more vague comments about the cost of it! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, njee20 said:

Meanwhile yours truly has been quoted on the matter in everyone’s favourite publication  “Reinsurance News”

Mark & Penny must be so proud!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, njee20 said:

Meanwhile yours truly has been quoted on the matter in everyone’s favourite publication  “Reinsurance News” 

Sounds like just the sort of publication to feature on HIGNFY.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

25 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Sounds like just the sort of publication to feature on HIGNFY.

Wouldn't be the first time. I was thrilled when "Knotting Matters" (which I called 'Get Knotted' in-house) featured on HIGNFY! I wasn't involved with the International Guild of Knot Tyers directly, but I was absolutely responsible for production of the printing of the newsletter.

Now that's some (cough) thread drift...thread.. geddit!?

C6T.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

What happens when political expediency needs something to blame. How do they know the crew were incompetent? That's a serious allegation as the navigators and engineers will all hold STCW certificates of competency issued by government maritime regulatory agencies so it's actually an allegation against probably multiple governments. The ship was Singapore flag, the Singapore MPA takes seafarer certification very seriously and their exam and assessment process is as good as any. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1