ECML - Nuclear Submarines?

• RMweb Gold

Not out of the realms of possibility to use it for ULF I suppose, but you're relying on its characteristics to remain pretty constant, and as we know the railway its constantly evolving. Sorry, we can't message our subs because there's weekend engineering works and a whole load of rail has been removed for replacement.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Check the date of the Video?

P

First thing I did.

Posted yesterday (5th April). Contains screenshots of radio signal dated yesterday (5th April).

Martin.

Thing is he's not saying the ECML was used as a transmitter, in fact he is posing a question "Was the ECML used as a transmitter?" and then using his knowledge of radio to provide context as how it is typically done with masts, he then added American experiments and actual low to the ground transmitters that could signal around the world albeit with only short burst messages.

So he never claimed the ECML was used and nor is he using any actual conspiracy theories to prove it, he simply said he'd heard of an urban legend and then made some logical inquiries to see if it was possible but the conclusion he came to was that he had no evidence to support it unless his subscribers had something else to add.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

An unlikely tale but there were some strange uses of equipment during the Cold War. I worked for a while in an old power station control room during the late 70s. One item we had was a fallout warning box which was basically a loudspeaker connected to the phone system. This was to be used to give warnings about the levels of fallout should nuclear war take place, presumably the control engineer could then go out and tell any remaining population what deadly fallout to expect. My mate at the time was a bit of an early conspiracy theorist and told me the system had been set up to piggy back on the speaking clock system and helped subsidise the speaking clock. Intrigued I switched the box on (it was supposed to be left on all the time but made an annoying bleep noise to indicate that it was working so was generally it was switched off). Sure enough, by turning the volume right up the speaking clock could be heard faintly in the background, so not all these tales are total myths. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

A more likely candidate might be the North & West line, which runs right past the Woofferton transmitter site. It's known to affect the railway, see:

https://www.herefordtimes.com/news/11054498.bbc-radio-transmitter-disrupts-trains-between-leominster-and-ludlow/

sky_knitting2_1280x800.jpg

At one time it was broadcasting Voice Of America on short-wave to Europe. Over the years there have been local mutterings about strange foreign language interference with radio and tv reception, conspiracy theories about what is really going on there, dangers to health from mobile phones, etc.

Martin.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

A more likely candidate might be the North & West line, which runs right past the Woofferton transmitter site. It's known to affect the railway, see:

https://www.herefordtimes.com/news/11054498.bbc-radio-transmitter-disrupts-trains-between-leominster-and-ludlow/

sky_knitting2_1280x800.jpg

At one time it was broadcasting Voice Of America on short-wave to Europe. Over the years there have been local mutterings about strange foreign language interference with radio and tv reception, conspiracy theories about what is really going on there, dangers to health from mobile phones, etc.

Martin.

There was a war between Voice Of America/Radio Free Europe/BBC and the Soviets, with the Soviets trying to jam the incoming broadcasts. Might well cause some of the mentioned.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

@martin_wynne so what I am hearing is that the speaking clock was actually a doomsday device to tell us the levels of radiation but in peacetime it simply read the current time.

The UKWMO warning system, HANDEL, used the speaking clock circuits for distribution to carrier control points which would sound the attack warning - this website has a huge amount of detail about how it all worked.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Administrators

The ULF transmitter is at Rugby, which is why, according to someone who did know these things, it is the number 2 target for the Soviets. 

• Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

The ULF transmitter is at Rugby, which is why, according to someone who did know these things, it is the number 2 target for the Soviets. 

Rugby Radio no longer exists.  The time signal it once transmitted now comes from Cumbria.

The site is now partly housing and I believe part of the expanded Daventry International Railfreight Terminal (DIRFT)

• Informative/Useful 1

25 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Rugby Radio no longer exists.  The time signal it once transmitted now comes from Cumbria.

The site is now partly housing and I believe part of the expanded Daventry International Railfreight Terminal (DIRFT)

Maybe it’s in the rails at DIRFT 😆

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

As far as I know the principal radio link with the submarines is the transmitter at Skelton near Penrith and a secondary link at Anthorn outside Carlisle. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

There was a war between Voice Of America/Radio Free Europe/BBC and the Soviets, with the Soviets trying to jam the incoming broadcasts. Might well cause some of the mentioned

There is also the problem of targeted pirate/government broadcasts being transmitted on and disrupting known frequencies.

Clips of music or spoken propaganda are often included in other 'secret' broadcasts such as number stations etc. which I suppose may be picked up through interference.

• Like 1

On 07/04/2024 at 03:54, jjb1970 said:

As far as I know the principal radio link with the submarines is the transmitter at Skelton near Penrith and a secondary link at Anthorn outside Carlisle. 

eb0876cdec6ff604129d5ae0011764fcb2d45463

Brit15

• Funny 4

I can't see how the proposal could possibly work.  The "antenna" is shorted by every axle of every train and most of it is also track circuited, with variously insulated joints and receivers that rely on detecting similar (few hundred Hz) frequencies at much lower currents than would be needed to communicate with a submarine an ocean or two away.  

Some years ago I was involved in an experiment to measure the electrical impact of Croydon Tramlink on Network Rail where the two run adjacent between Birkbeck and Beckenham.  Having closed the railway and shut off both 750V supplies, we hooked up a very large signal generator to circulate hundreds of amps at various audio frequencies out through the overhead wire and back through the rails.  This loop induced only a handful of amps in the railway track some six feet away, though it did make some quite nice singing noises in the overhead.  

• Like 3

On 07/04/2024 at 03:54, jjb1970 said:

When I was in the Air Force, back in the 80's/90's, I was posted to RAF Stornoway and used to work at RAF Aird Uig, where we looked after an LF transmitter for the Navy to talk to their Subs via Morse Code. It was a huge machine, rightly known as 'The Beast' it had been there since the 60's, I believe, and had not had a Frequency change on it for years. 

I remember one weekend we'd been doing some servicing on The Beast which meant we had to point the output to the massive dummy load, which was in a locked room and crank the power output up to 75Kw. This Servicing was going very badly and we had multiple issues, which meant we were very late handing it back to the Navy, which should've been done by 18:00. We finished about 18:30 and pointed the output back to the 600' mast outside the building and went and had some food, just as we sat down to eat the lights in the building started to flash and the tv started switching off & on. My Corporal & I stared at each other wondering what the hell was going on, when I realised that we'd not turned the output power down from it was on the Dummy Load and The Beast was now drawing so much power when it was keying up that it was affecting the Mains Transformer in the village as well, as all the lights in the village were flashing as well, I legged it to the Transmitter Hall and wound the Power output back down to less than 50Kw which stopped the Power Draw.

Cheers

Neal.

• Like 3
  • Funny 6