Accurascale – Your Climate Hero

• RMweb Premium

I note you have chosen to support engineering solutions to carbon reduction.  Would you please also consider supporting projects that promote restoration and regeneration of landscapes and ecosystems?  Healthy living environments sink carbon and also protect wildlife and people's livelihoods, vital in areas like the Sahel.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• AY Mod locked this topic
  • Moderators

The topic is re-opened after yesterday's arguments about climate change and carbon offsetting.

Please do not re-start those arguments.

• Like 6

• AY Mod unlocked this topic
  • RMweb Gold

This is a great initiative.

Does the shipping calculation include transport from the factory to the UK?

Do you have plans to push carbon neutrality out through the whole business, including manufacturing?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Do you have plans to push carbon neutrality out through the whole business, including manufacturing?

Hi Phil,

The first step is from our warehouse to customer, though we're actively looking at other parts of the journey, with the trip from the far east obviously being the worst offender in the delivery chain. 

Yes, the plan is to go carbon neutral and we are looking at how this can be achieved. To be frank about it, we are just trying to get ourselves ahead of the curve here, as (and not to go down a political road here) it's obvious that there will be a significant push for all companies to achieve this through legislation in the medium to long term as a business compliance and requirement. It is going to take some working out, but better to be prepared for such things! 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Phil,

The first step is from our warehouse to customer, though we're actively looking at other parts of the journey, with the trip from the far east obviously being the worst offender in the delivery chain. 

Yes, the plan is to go carbon neutral and we are looking at how this can be achieved. To be frank about it, we are just trying to get ourselves ahead of the curve here, as (and not to go down a political road here) it's obvious that there will be a significant push for all companies to achieve this through legislation in the medium to long term as a business compliance and requirement. It is going to take some working out, but better to be prepared for such things! 

Cheers!

Fran 

Kudos!

25 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

reposting what I put yesterday (which was removed in general clearout) to which Fran encouragingly replied.

The majority of the carbon impact will be during manufacturing, including energy in casting and injection moulding (both hot and energy intensive activities) as well as operations around painting and assembly, to say nothing of extraction of raw materials. My guesstimate is that this will be an order of magnitude higher than carbon use within either domestic distribution or international shipping.

It would be great to see total supply chain and production carbon footprinting and offsetting/carbon removal/renewable energy inputs (if it is possible to specify renewable energy purchase within the Chinese energy supply system).

But good to start somewhere.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Once again I'm having to remove posts about climate change and carbon offsetting.

Obviously what I said earlier does not apply to some people in their mind.

Any more and you win a week's free zero-footprint holiday from RMweb.

• Like 6
  • Funny 3

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Ironically, people are obviously recycling what you cull.

Keyhaven_Green33_fish_with_background.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Once again I'm having to remove posts about climate change and carbon offsetting. ....

For clarity's sake, as I haven't seen the offending posts, is it safe to assume that genuine, pertinent questions such as those above by Flying Pig and G-BOAF are fine but those which rubbish the notion of climate change and the desire to do something about it are not?

• Moderators
Just now, Neil said:

is it safe to assume that genuine, pertinent questions such as those above by Flying Pig and G-BOAF are fine

If they are questions that relate to the initiative then fine but offering opinions on carbon offset schemes in general terms unrelated to the specific initiative and/or climate change denial is most definitely off limits. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Keyhaven_Green33_fish_with_background.jpg

This is your exhibition layout, isn't it Andy?  I remember seeing it and being really impressed.  Good stuff!

To Accurascale, can I just ask if all the packaging materials used are recyclable and does that apply to all those used previously as well?

I have real problems at times determining which can and which can't go in our recycling bin from all suppliers - e.g. scared to put the wrong kind of polystyrene beading / bubble wrap into the bins for fear of being fined!

As said once before though, some boxes make great storage boxes for paints, parts, decoders, etc..

Glad you're supporting the environmental push and as you say, likely to become more and more legislated against, so good to get ahead before then.

Thanks,

Ixion.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, 97403_Ixion said:

This is your exhibition layout, isn't it Andy?  I remember seeing it and being really impressed.  Good stuff!

Some years ago now. Bringing it back on topic, numerous bits are still in the recyclable modelling pile.

Apologies for the diversion referencing a film that was appropriate to an earlier comment.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, 97403_Ixion said:

To Accurascale, can I just ask if all the packaging materials used are recyclable and does that apply to all those used previously as well?

I have real problems at times determining which can and which can't go in our recycling bin from all suppliers - e.g. scared to put the wrong kind of polystyrene beading / bubble wrap into the bins for fear of being fined!

As said once before though, some boxes make great storage boxes for paints, parts, decoders, etc..

Glad you're supporting the environmental push and as you say, likely to become more and more legislated against, so good to get ahead before then.

Thanks,

Ixion.

Absolutely, all of our packaging is fully recyclable, including the black foam inserts, clamshells and all documentation (and indeed pretty much all of the models themselves) and we're now moving / have moved to a card end cap and matching card box for customer shipping, which negates the need for any infill. We're exploring other measures to further improve the efficiency in these areas.

We work closely with our factory partners, most of whom carry a lot more ISO certifications and climate credentials than we do (yet) and do our upmost to minimise our impact where we can. It's a constant battle of small wins but eventually, like saving those pennies, or getting your cash back points on purchases, those little wins add up to something meaningful over time. 

It's worth the reiteration that this is not any kind of 'offset' scheme or greenwash, rather we are pooling with other shopify powered providers, to directly invest into carbon capture tech and solutions in a meaningful way (as a first step) and that the investments will grow over time into other relevant areas.

From a customers point of view there is ZERO impact, no prices have moved, we still don't charge you for delivery at all (in the UK, other limits apply :) ) and everything is and was as before, just we're taking a % of our margin and trying to use it to negate the carbon / energy used in getting you those parcels of joy.

Edited by McC
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

Just back from a visit to our HUGE recycling plant at Wigan, on the site of the old Wigan Coal & Iron Kirkless works, which warmed the planet a degree or two in it's day !!

image.png.0325f06fd7056a91708a1b28d4763b0a.png

A very well laid out facility with many clearly marked bays and bins etc. Park and chuck !!

image.png.6b992f5f777ee74db37d0dac04e8c259.png

I was disposing of most of my VHS & Beta tapes recorded etc over many years. It dawned on me that I've not watched any for years and nearly all of the stuff I recorded (Railway related,, many various films, documentary's etc) are now easy and free to view on Youtube etc, plus my machines are well past it, so time to go - 12 boxes of 15 in each !!!

Now where to chuck them ?

The helpful guy said boxes and tape covers to the cardboard bay and tapes to the hard plastic bin - so a ten minute debox / sleeve job and a bit done for the "urth" !!

It is time plastic was banned for ALL throw away packaging (perhaps except bottles etc). Things like out trains were many store in their boxes etc OK.

Anyway, Well done Accurascale.

Brit15

• Like 6