Accurascale – Your Climate Hero

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

very well laid out facility with many clearly marked bays and bins etc. Park and chuck !!

image.png.6b992f5f777ee74db37d0dac04e8c259.png

Strewth. That would blow my standard "it's raining" excuse.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Strewth. That would blow my standard "it's raining" excuse.

Pretty standard for Greater Manchester Waste, nice tidy facilities but not necessarily all weather like that.  

But gone are the days of picking up nails in your tyres whilst you dump everything into one big hole.

Very good options for charitable donations of toys, furniture etc as well for resale.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Looking at the image, maybe I do need a class 66 after all...

In any case, good on Accurascale for being an industry first yet again.

Edited by BrakeCoach
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Pretty standard for Greater Manchester Waste, nice tidy facilities but not necessarily all weather like that.  

But gone are the days of picking up nails in your tyres whilst you dump everything into one big hole.

Very good options for charitable donations of toys, furniture etc as well for resale.

Agreed, Raikes Lane in Bolton is a good facility. 

A much shorter thread today :-)

Not a subject I know well so unsure of the pros/cons/spin but regardless, good that this has generated debate and hopefully awareness. It won’t make me buy more but equally most certainly doesn’t make me cancel orders ;-)

i work in construction where the carbon agenda is gaining momentum, not greenwashing as the past 5 years but meaningful steps to change behaviour , change material constituents and slowly evolve. Legislation is also playing its part with new build now most probably always getting Solar PV and much more insulation than before.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, McC said:

Absolutely, all of our packaging is fully recyclable, including the black foam inserts, clamshells and all documentation (and indeed pretty much all of the models themselves) and we're now moving / have moved to a card end cap and matching card box for customer shipping, which negates the need for any infill. We're exploring other measures to further improve the efficiency in these areas.

Thanks for clarifying - our recycle bin is due the week after next, so can now get rid of some packaging with confidence!

I have to admit, your packaging is pretty sturdy and good for keeping model boxes together (while the models are not on the layout that is...).  It beats buying large plastic boxes that are probably not as environmentally friendly, though can be very secure and protecting.  One recent AS box not only houses my RTC Mk2b set but also the several others I managed to get, all perfectly together!

P.S.:  Not going to recycle the models at any point though!

• Like 3

Very supportive of this. Will be adding 40p to my 2x Andrew Barclay pre-orders when they arrive.

I work in supply chains (inc Decarb of). Decarb all the way through the supply chain is extremely challenging - it's complex, there are gaps, chain of custody can be a challenge, and obviously some companies are further ahead, some lag behind. The most important thing is to start. Start where you can. And roll out from there. 

Accurascale to be applauded for this. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I applaud this initiative. Individuals and small companies can't change the world themselves, but enough small guys doing something will make a difference. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I applaud this initiative. Individuals and small companies can't change the world themselves, but enough small guys doing something will make a difference. 

And that’s what it is all about @jjb1970

I go back to my litter picking analogy: It might not do much in isolation, but it does make the area a nicer place for others, and may encourage others to either pick up litter, or stop dropping it in the first place.

All the best,

Paul

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

Very nice initiative. Eqully I feel that reducing packaging helps too. Which will double the impact (I thought the Mk2b were perfect, compact yet do the job required of them).

As for conspriacy theorists, just tell them that all Accurascale models are designed to run on a "flat" layout.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

As the man on the quality training course said you can only eat an elephant in bite size chunks so this initiative is a great istart.  But I was interested to read that the foam inserts are recyclable as that is usually a very difficult area - what recycling code are they please?

While I retain packaging as, one of the best ways of storing models not in use, one question which comes to mind is the impact of local capabilities for recycling different materials and I wonder if you have been able to try to take that into account?  For example we can only put Codes 1,2, & 5 type plastics into our recycling bin and some of the other codes have to go to either the collection facility at Tesco or even landfill (in the case of all hard plastics (which I understand are very difficult and expensive to recycle).

I fully realise you can't go round every recycling scheme in Britain, lat alone your wider markets, to establish who can/will recycle what but is there any thought being given to using the more widely recyclable plastics wherever possible and putting the recycling codes on things like clamshells?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Hi Mike

All of the plastic including the foam is PET (Polyethylene terephthalate) which is type or class 1 for recycling. In theory it should be supported by all schemes. 

Edited by McC
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, McC said:

Hi Mike

All of the plastic including the foam is PET (Polyethylene terephthalate) which is type or class 1 for recycling. In theory it should be supported by all schemes. 

I have my doubts about it being that simple. 

Each council sets its own rules on recycling, and they can't even agree what colour bins we should all use.   Grey bins here in North Herts are for recycling, but in South Cambs they're for landfill.  What I can chuck in which recycling bin here isn't the same as what I'm supposed to do there. 

The rules ares as clear as mud.  It's all very well for central government to say emptying the bins is a local matter, but if they want people to do the right thing we need consistency across the country, and its unrealistic to expect everybody to be able tell one sort of plastic from another.  A lot of things are made of mutiple materials.  For example if I take a broken chair to the tip I may ask one of the staff do I chuck this in the skip for metals because that what its legs are or does it go into "bulky waste".  If I go to a different tip or even just ask a different operative I can expect to a different answer!  And now they employ a bloke to stand at the gate asking for proof that I live in the county - heaven forfend that I cross the border into Bedfordshire using a car registered in Hertfordshire to dispose of broken furniture for a disabled lady in Cambridgeshire !

Rant over.  None of these issues are the fault of model railway manufacturers of course, who are to be commended on trying to minimise damage to the environment.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I have my doubts about it being that simple. 

Each council sets its own rules on recycling, and they can't even agree what colour bins we should all use.   Grey bins here in North Herts are for recycling, but in South Cambs they're for landfill.  What I can chuck in which recycling bin here isn't the same as what I'm supposed to do there. 

The rules ares as clear as mud.  It's all very well for central government to say emptying the bins is a local matter, but if they want people to do the right thing we need consistency across the country, and its unrealistic to expect everybody to be able tell one sort of plastic from another.  A lot of things are made of mutiple materials.  For example if I take a broken chair to the tip I may ask one of the staff do I chuck this in the skip for metals because that what its legs are or does it go into "bulky waste".  If I go to a different tip or even just ask a different operative I can expect to a different answer!  And now they employ a bloke to stand at the gate asking for proof that I live in the county - heaven forfend that I cross the border into Bedfordshire using a car registered in Hertfordshire to dispose of broken furniture for a disabled lady in Cambridgeshire !

Rant over.  None of these issues are the fault of model railway manufacturers of course, who are to be commended on trying to minimise damage to the environment.

My local council give you a bin for garden waste, one for glass, plastics and tins, one for paper and card, and one for general waste.  If you take plastics, tins, glass and paper to the recycling centre, you get told to put it in the general waste skips!   Card goes in a separate skip and they wont accept garden waste!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, McC said:

Hi Mike

Many thanks for the quick reply - very useful to know should  I ever decide to get rid of some of your foam packaging.   Years ago (the 1970s) we had a tenant in the old goods shed at Frome and he was processing plastics for recycling including PET so hopefully things have become more widespread in the intervening 50 years..

If any one wants to know what they can recycle when and how to do it then look on the 'net and get a link to your postcode using the site linked below.  Scroll down to the box where you enter your postcode.  I have checked it against our District Council's recycling list and it is accurate for us so, hopefully, should be for  others -

https://www.recyclenow.com/how-to-recycle/what-can-be-recycled

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/04/2024 at 12:01, Accurascale Fran said:

That’s not all! Along with our own climate commitment, you, (our customer) can choose to ‘top up’ our support for ground-breaking carbon removal technologies with every order placed. You can do this at the checkout, where you will have the option of adding a further 20p to your order should you wish. This is completely optional.

If you order items as normal, the climate donation does not appear in your cart when you see it before you go to the checkout.  It is only when you get to the actual checkout page that it mysteriously appears, eve nthough you have already checked the cart. To then get rid of it you have to go back out of the checkout and into the cart again to remove it, to then re-enter the checkout. I have just checked this as I had the scam item appear automatically without warning or consent in my cart just now and ended up paying it as I couldn't see how to remove it in the checkout. So saying it is "completely optional" is technically correct but somewhat disingenuous. It is added without warning or consent and requires several additional steps, which are not made clear, to remove it.

I thought that sort of behaviour had been ruled illegal after Sports Direct and their infamous mugs? It is certainly not ethical retail practice.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

If you order items as normal, the climate donation does not appear in your cart when you see it before you go to the checkout.  It is only when you get to the actual checkout page that it mysteriously appears, eve nthough you have already checked the cart. To then get rid of it you have to go back out of the checkout and into the cart again to remove it, to then re-enter the checkout. I have just checked this as I had the scam item appear automatically without warning or consent in my cart just now and ended up paying it as I couldn't see how to remove it in the checkout. So saying it is "completely optional" is technically correct but somewhat disingenuous. It is added without warning or consent and requires several additional steps, which are not made clear, to remove it.

I thought that sort of behaviour had been ruled illegal after Sports Direct and their infamous mugs? It is certainly not ethical retail practice.

Hi Tony 

The voluntary customer option is a checkbox on the cart page. 

Don’t click it and it won’t be added. 

Thats the default. 

Regardless of customers choosing to contribute we make one for every order regardless. 

Hope that helps clarify. 

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, McC said:

Hi Tony 

The voluntary customer option is a checkbox on the cart page. 

Don’t click it and it won’t be added. 

Thats the default. 

Regardless of customers choosing to contribute we make one for every order regardless. 

Hope that helps clarify. 

Something has changed the website in the last few minutes as I did it twice and both times the carbon thing appeared out of nowhere, once when I ordered and then again when I created a new order before I posted to the forum. Each time I just selected one product, went to cart and straight to the checkout where it was sitting in the cart bit on the right. It did not appear on the cart page at all.

Right now there is no check box I can see on the cart page (see below). So not sure what is going on but I definitely did not tick any boxes to get the carbon thing to appear. The good news is having repeated the process the carbon thing no longer appears.

Cart page just now.

Acc-cart.JPG.243cb59bc077d0afbdd733ed30d8ee50.JPG

If this issue has been removed then great work addressing it so quickly. I was logged in when I did the first two orders (one paid and completed, one aborted) so if you want to check the web log and tell me I did something wrong then no worries, always happy to eat humble pie if I've messed up!

• RMweb Gold
Just now, ruggedpeak said:

Something has changed the website in the last few minutes as I did it twice and both times the carbon thing appeared out of nowhere, once when I ordered and then again when I created a new order before I posted to the forum. Each time I just selected one product, went to cart and straight to the checkout where it was sitting in the cart bit on the right. It did not appear on the cart page at all.

Right now there is no check box I can see on the cart page (see below). So not sure what is going on but I definitely did not tick any boxes to get the carbon thing to appear. The good news is having repeated the process the carbon thing no longer appears.

Cart page just now.

Acc-cart.JPG.243cb59bc077d0afbdd733ed30d8ee50.JPG

If this issue has been removed then great work addressing it so quickly. I was logged in when I did the first two orders (one paid and completed, one aborted) so if you want to check the web log and tell me I did something wrong then no worries, always happy to eat humble pie if I've messed up!

No changes have been made Tony. Perhaps clear your cache / cookies? Once you tick the box it remains active for your session. 

• RMweb Gold

OK, totes confused as I just ordered the Mk5 DCC chip before they sell out (!) and went straight through to the checkout, so no idea how/when I clicked on anything else and I can't find any tickbox even now.

No worries, it seems to have gone away, thanks for responding. Have a good weekend. 😊