Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Was using the name Oliver Cromwell on a loco controversial at the time?

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, OnTheBranchline said:

Considering some historians portray him as a tyrant.

im focused more on the name deciding/decision process and the reaction to the name.

I would hardly think so, especially as there is a statue of him outside the House of Commons.

He's part of the UK's transition to Parliamentary Democracy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Your trying to judge yesterday by the revisionist standards of today!

The country was not long out of the war and was still rebuilding at the time and yesterdays heroes are todays monsters.

I didn't judge anything - I simply said that other people have different viewpoints.

• Like 3

King John was a right so and so,  !! 

60cd0ed959c7be3300d843e06fa6ed37.jpg

Henry VIII also, one of England’s most famous monarchs was a foul-tempered, gluttonous, bloodthirsty tyrant who, as well as ordering the executions of two of the women who had the misfortune to marry him, had an estimated 57,000 people executed during his 36-year reign.

GWR_King_class,_6013_King_Henry_VIII_(CJ

Any more "Bad 'uns", not neccesarily Kings ?

Brit15

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Your trying to judge yesterday by the revisionist standards of today!

The country was not long out of the war and was still rebuilding at the time and yesterdays heroes are todays monsters.

'Todays Monsters'; only in some peoples opinions. Others have differing opinions. Has thus been and probably always shall be.

Phil

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, PeterStiles said:

I think I'll stop now. This thread can only end up too political.

Nah, not if you keep to the funny side of things.

How about all the Clans having to be shedded very carefully Geographically for example?

• RMweb Premium

The kings were pretty uncontentious. There are (and were at the time) things to be said against quite a lot of them, but the sequence of monarchs is pretty much set in stone, including King Edward V (6016), who never actually reigned. King James II (6008) was so unpopular the British parliament invited the Dutch over to invade the country and turf him out, and really you can't get much worse than that.

I don't know that Oliver Cromwell has ever been actively disliked or disapporved of by the estabishment. Certainly there are families even today who can say what side they were on in the Civil War, but he does not seem to have been a bad ruler.

I note that there has never been a locomotive named after the Duke of Cumberland. His statue in Cavendish Square, London, was removed in 1868, so reviled had he become in the century or so since his death. We have a Prince William (47798), but that is named after someone else entirely. There is also a 7¼ inch miniature locomotive design "Sweet William", based in the 5 inch "Sweet Pea", which might ultimately be said to be derived from "Butcher" Cumberland, but the naming of the flower after him is disputed.

• Like 2

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Don't think there has ever been a Loco named Beeching?

47830 Crewe

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Welchester said:

When the GWR named 2905, it was claimed that only they could class Lady Macbeth as a Saint. 

The loco got nervous about spots being on her. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

54 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I would hardly think so, especially as there is a statue of him outside the House of Commons.

He's part of the UK's transition to Parliamentary Democracy.

Well, apart from replacing the the post civil war parliamentary crypto republican democracy with a military dictatorship…

I always thought that his statue was there as a warning to politicians about the dangers of generals with a large standing army, time on their hands and a grievance or several. He’s why the British parliament resisted having a standing army and righty put their faith in the Royal Navy!

DrDuncan

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, drduncan said:

Well, apart from replacing the the post civil war parliamentary crypto republican democracy with a military dictatorship…

I always thought that his statue was there as a warning to politicians about the dangers of generals with a large standing army, time on their hands and a grievance or several. He’s why the British parliament resisted having a standing army and righty put their faith in the Royal Navy!

DrDuncan

"Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss"

We Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who 

• Like 6